Major Update from NCL on Masks

colecandler

47 minutes ago, WillandTam said:

We're with you RocketMan275. We live in North Carolina and there is no masking policy here either and probably 25% wear them. In fact since 2 weeks after our second shot in March 21 neither of us has worn one at all.  Time to rebook.

My TA told me they had a bunch of cancellations for Norwegian cruise following their move to require mask.  

The good news is that I save about $4K on the cruise fare.  The prices have dropped a lot.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

I know a few people who cruised in recent months and said the masking was lax anyway. I leave on the epic on 2/27 and will try not to mask but wont fight about it. Hopefully we wont have to especially after march 1st. That being said if someone wants to wear it go for it nothing wrong with that. safe travels

• Like 2

7 hours ago, colecandler said:

For cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age five and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, we recognize the added protections provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.

Woo hoo!  We just booked a cruise departing Feb. 26 and, like others have already posted, are figuring NCL will not enforce wearing masks as of March 1.  I think they put "departing after x date" to make it easier for people to know whether or not their cruise requires one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

"The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest"

Hallelujah!  And yes, the crew should also have the option of going maskless.  I haven't been able to locate any study where a mask actually reduces or prevents the spread.  But if it makes you feel safer, please feel free to wear one.

there's lots of studies that show it reduces and helps prevent the spread

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, mitghmbe said:

Funny how you see near full stadiums (indoor/outdoor), concerts (indoors/outdoors), with people elbow to elbow...screaming, chanting, etc...and the large majority without masks....and yet some cruise goers get bent out of shape if they are within an arm's reach of someone without a mask.  

I doubt it's the same people going to both. But to each their own

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mitghmbe said:

Funny how you see near full stadiums (indoor/outdoor), concerts (indoors/outdoors), with people elbow to elbow...screaming, chanting, etc...and the large majority without masks....and yet some cruise goers get bent out of shape if they are within an arm's reach of someone without a mask.  

Just for me, personally,  That will person will probably be me, though I will try not to be a Karen about it and will just avoid people. I was really looking forward to my cruise in March.

Now, Im going to have a hard time actually relaxing, as there will be unvaccinated, unmasked kids on board, who can (and probably will) spread covid.  Ive seen too many kids who test negative to go to (insert thing), then get very mildly symptomatic after arriving and test + a couple days later.   Im an immune suppressed healthcare worker (MD), and I was hoping I could FINALLY go on a vacation where I didnt have to worry.

and yes, Ive had all 3 primary doses and will get my booster before the cruise.

UGHHHHHHHH

eta: Ill just bring a bunch of fit-tested N95s.  THOSE protect both me and others.  They're danged uncomfortable, though.

Edited by Starflyr3
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, bortman23 said:

I doubt it's the same people going to both. But to each their own

I'm sure it's the same people. You see it all the time with those that staunchly defend mask wearing, but then defend why it is they were seen not wearing a mask.

Edited by Hutcha
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I'm sure it's the same people. You see it all the time with those that staunchly defend mask wearing, but then defend why it is they were seen not wearing a mask.

staunch defender of mask wearing here! i was a masked cruiser, even before the requirement. (i even did that TV show, "the masked cruiser," but they kicked me off for refusing to remove the mask. ken jeong seemed to like that, but robin thicke said i was being "difficult.")

haven't been in a stadium in the past two years.

i do go to a broadway show with a masked and vaxxed audience three or four times a month, for what it's worth.

so, yeah, these might be some of the same people, but there's an extraordinarily good chance they also might not be. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

"The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest"

Hallelujah!  And yes, the crew should also have the option of going maskless.  I haven't been able to locate any study where a mask actually reduces or prevents the spread.  But if it makes you feel safer, please feel free to wear one.

Don't N95 masks offer great protection and also prevent the spread of the virus? These are the masks being offered to the American people for free.

• Like 1

I applaud NCL for following the many other Scientific regime who've been encouraging the reduction in restrictions.  IMO, this virus is here to stay and we need to learn to deal with it in a more realistic way. Do we need to wear masks constantly, perhaps we do if we are of the vulnerable populous, however, the major population may not find it necessary. 

It does appear that this Pandemic will soon become an Endemic which seems to mean it will be less dangerous to the major population yet still exist to the whole population.  We, as a whole, need to start living a normal life, we can't continue to live in a cave. It's been so stressful for our families, for the employees for the business owners and so many others to feel as though life has any meaning at all. 

IMO, we need to get back to living.  I wish everyone a safe and prosperous return to living our lives as we have enjoyed in the past. 

Good health to everyone. I wish only the best for everyone. 

Cheers

Connie

• Like 6

On 2/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, Diver2014 said:

There are 49 peer reviewed studies showing that effectiveness of masks. Let me know if you want me to send you any! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mollybloomers said:

There are 49 peer reviewed studies showing that effectiveness of masks. Let me know if you want me to send you any! 🙂

And not one of them a randomly controlled trial... so save yourself 49 reasons to waste time. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

And not one of them a randomly controlled trial... so save yourself 49 reasons to waste time. 🙂

"A study published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies found that out of a total of 19 randomized controlled trials of communities, masks were effective — even without hand washing. "

And, here's another. The largest one yet! Involving over 350,000 people.  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

Edited by mollybloomers
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, mollybloomers said:

"A study published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies found that out of a total of 19 randomized controlled trials of communities, masks were effective — even without hand washing. "

Did you even read what you just posted the link to?  I can't even anymore. A better hobby is definitely out there.  "Randomised controlled trials in health care workers showed that respirators, if worn continually during a shift, were effective but not if worn intermittently. Medical masks were not effective, and cloth masks even less effective."   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Did you even read what you just posted the link to?  I can't even anymore. A better hobby is definitely out there.  "Randomised controlled trials in health care workers showed that respirators, if worn continually during a shift, were effective but not if worn intermittently. Medical masks were not effective, and cloth masks even less effective."   

That's a heck of a cherry pick. The real conclusion is below. Regardless, I'm not arguing with you anymore. My original reply was to someone who said that there were no studies. I showed there were. You said you didn't believe them bc they weren't randomized. I showed you two - including one that randomized 350,000 people. I doubt there is any convincing you, regardless of facts. And that's fine. It's not the purpose of these boards. This is my happy place, and I just won't spend any more time arguing with a brick wall. Cheers!

"The study suggests that community mask use by well people could be beneficial, particularly for COVID-19, where transmission may be pre-symptomatic. The studies of masks as source control also suggest a benefit, and may be important during the COVID-19 pandemic in universal community face mask use as well as in health care settings. Trials in healthcare workers support the use of respirators continuously during a shift. This may prevent health worker infections and deaths from COVID-19, as aerosolisation in the hospital setting has been documented."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, UKstages said:

while it is noble that you have learned what an RCT is, the logic behind your demand for them is flawed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7992121/

The beauty of it all is that we now have 2 years worth of real world data to look at the effectiveness of population level mask mandates... and we can compare places with and without them.  Based on that data, we know if they work or not.  I don't have to tell you the answer to that since I am assuming you already know.  

27 minutes ago, mollybloomers said:

That's a heck of a cherry pick. The real conclusion is below. Regardless, I'm not arguing with you anymore. My original reply was to someone who said that there were no studies. I showed there were. You said you didn't believe them bc they weren't randomized. I showed you two - including one that randomized 350,000 people. I doubt there is any convincing you, regardless of facts. And that's fine. It's not the purpose of these boards. This is my happy place, and I just won't spend any more time arguing with a brick wall. Cheers!

"The study suggests that community mask use by well people could be beneficial, particularly for COVID-19, where transmission may be pre-symptomatic. The studies of masks as source control also suggest a benefit, and may be important during the COVID-19 pandemic in universal community face mask use as well as in health care settings. Trials in healthcare workers support the use of respirators continuously during a shift. This may prevent health worker infections and deaths from COVID-19, as aerosolisation in the hospital setting has been documented."

LOL cherry pick?  It is literally in the summary of the results of the article you linked to!!! I can't even... you are just too funny!  Anyway, enjoy your next cruise! 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mollybloomers said:

You're confusing the  use of masks and the use of respirators.  

• Like 1