Oh Know - We Can Not Go! Must Cancel

garycarla

Just figured out we have a schedule conflict that we can not get out of and have to cancel cruise. We are inside the 75 day cancel window (for longer cruise) and the policy says $400 each.

Any ideas? Anyone been down this road?

Our cruise is with NCL Jewel the end of April.

If you're within the seventy-five day window, obviously you're paid in full and now will have to pay the penalty. I was forced to cancel a European cruise a few years back because of emergency surgery and basically had to rely on trip cancellation insurance. I would contact the insurance company and let them work it with NCL.

Most insurance policies do not cover STUPID mistakes - like mine. Schedule problem on my part.

TA said that NCL said tough. Deposit is gone. Will not apply to another cruise. Which means that we might as well book with another cruiseline. We will still take a cruise - but it might not be with NCL now.

We were all set for Penthouse Perks - Butler, etc. Looks like there are not many longer cruises except the way too repeated Carribean cruise for April or May. And, not sure if we can find the same level of cabins as the Jewel. Hmmmmm

Any ideas?

WHY OH WHY do posters who make self-asserted "STUPID mistakes", spitefully say "it might not be with NCL now", as if NCL made the mistake?

You are an adult, and you entered into a legally binding contract. You paid a deposit, and in exchange the cruiseline refrained from selling your cabin to another willing buyer.

Your deposit (and any interest it may have earned) compensate the cruiseline for the loss of time-on-market of the cabin, while you had it tied up.

Better yet...ALL cruiselines have these policies.

If you aren't going to NCL because of the itinerary, fine. But the tone of the message was that you were angry at them for not giving you your money back.

That would mean you didn't understand the ramifications of the contract you entered into.

I have a bridge for sale...great location...... Brooklyn. Interested?

Okay, I agree and understand that I entered into a contract and it is my fault. When I said we might go with another cruiseline it was not meant in spite of them or in anger (okay, a little anger).

If they were to offer us a deal or part of the deposit towards another cruise, even with a short window, we would be inclined to still sail with them. This cruise is over 60 days away and they may well still sell the cabin - maybe, maybe not.

But, since they are taking the $800 from us we have no incentive or loyalty with them as we book a replacement. We intend to book a replacement cruise within a few days for April or May. But, based on their policy, we COULD go elsewhere.

Okay, I agree and understand that I entered into a contract and it is my fault. When I said we might go with another cruiseline it was not meant in spite of them or in anger (okay, a little anger).

If they were to offer us a deal or part of the deposit towards another cruise, even with a short window, we would be inclined to still sail with them. This cruise is over 60 days away and they may well still sell the cabin - maybe, maybe not.

But, since they are taking the $800 from us we have no incentive or loyalty with them as we book a replacement. We intend to book a replacement cruise within a few days for April or May. But, based on their policy, we COULD go elsewhere.

You are being treated the same as any cruise line would treat you. You can always try and beg for forgiveness for being stupid:D

Saying I will never cruise XYZ line again is perhaps not the best approach to get what amounts to a $800 gift.

I would write a nice letter explaining your situation and how much you were looking forward to cruising with NCL. Share how lossing this money will not allow you to cruise for quite some time. Ask for a little forgiveness for YOUR mistake. Perhaps you could get a future cruise credit for some or all your lost $.

The decision to do anything will have to be made at a senior level. Either you or your TA will have to make the request at that level.

With respect, what they said was:

"Which means that we might as well book with another cruiseline. We will still take a cruise - but it might not be with NCL now", which is quite a lot gentler than "I will never cruise with XYZ again....".

I know you were writing to Shoreguy, but I'm sure he was trying to create emphasis, not a direct quote.

The implication (by the OP's follow-up confirmation) was that they were mildly angry at the inflexibility, and might "show NCL" by booking elsewhere.

It was a veiled threat, at best. Perhaps written in the heat of the moment, and unfortunately this board doesn't appear to let you continue to edit your own posts.. :;)

Regardless, I think the OP has realized that these Terms & Conditions are there for a reason. Without them, the company couldn't survive.

When you book certain hotel rooms, they are payable immediately and non-refundable. The hotel discounts the rate in recognition that they have a guaranteed room-sale.

If enough people cancel and churn to other cruiselines because of non-refund of deposits after final payment date, then cruiselines may start implementing Pay It All Up Front, 100% non-refundable policies. I'm sure the insurance companies would love this!

Shoreguy's suggestion that a regret-filled email to the correct senior person within NCL "might" earn a future cruise credit or something has merit. It's worth investigating.

If deposits were going to be 100% refundable up until the date of sailing, then what's the point of having them? Plus, it would put the trip cancellation insurance people on the rocks.

While I'm not one to advocate fraud (well...not often), perhaps you could locate a friendly doctor who could classify you as unable-to-travel (mental health issues), prompting the insurance company to cover your $800 deposit...;)

sjbdtz,

I agree with shore guy. Call again, be nice and explain what happened. My husband and I had a cruise scheduled and shortly before we sailed he was diagnosed with cancer. We had no insurance (which we will never go without now). Anyway when his doctor found out that we would loose our money, he go so upset with NCL he wrote a letter and made a phone call to them. I thought it was a lost cause and had other things to worry about, but the doctor's call got us the refund (not even a credit – cash). So I think sometime NCL will consider it depending on your situation. So I thought NCL was very compassionate for our situation.

With respect, what they said was:

"Which means that we might as well book with another cruiseline. We will still take a cruise - but it might not be with NCL now", which is quite a lot gentler than "I will never cruise with XYZ again....".

I understood what was said here. I was suggesting an approach that has worked for me. The following is a quote from an email that I received from Colin Veitch a couple of years ago when I first contacted his office to help resolve an issue. Sound advice:

Thanks for your continued support and your reasonable approach to airing your frustration. The reasonable people are, in the end, more likely to have a good outcome -- especially if they feel that writing to me should be part of their approach. I respond to reasonableness!

With best wishes for the Holidays,

Colin Veitch

We were suppose to take the Norweigian Sun in December from New Orleans. Two weeks after I booked the hurricanes hit. Devestating the region. Ncl was great they cancelled our trip with full refund. We immediately book the ncl star cruise for April. What we did lose money on was airline tickets. Jet blue would not refund but are keeping it for a year for future flights. I won't use them not because I am mad but because I don't need to. So My TA gave us a credit on our cruise to compensate. I still think we lost a little money but Mother Nature can be cruel and that is just how it goes sometimes. It would have cost us more to use the travel insusrance than to take the hit.

sjbdtz,

I agree with shore guy. Call again, be nice and explain what happened. My husband and I had a cruise scheduled and shortly before we sailed he was diagnosed with cancer. We had no insurance (which we will never go without now). Anyway when his doctor found out that we would loose our money, he go so upset with NCL he wrote a letter and made a phone call to them. I thought it was a lost cause and had other things to worry about, but the doctor's call got us the refund (not even a credit – cash). So I think sometime NCL will consider it depending on your situation. So I thought NCL was very compassionate for our situation.

That was SO nice of the doctor and NCL to do that!

Is there a possibility that you would be able to CHANGE THE PASSENGER NAMES on your cruise? If so, maybe you could find other people who may wish to pay you back all or a part of your deposit, then assume the balance directly w/NCL after you have the names changed? Maybe some friends or relatives (or some CC members out there?) Sounds like you booked a WONDERFUL room on a WONDERFUL ship!

We just had the same thing happen to one of our family members going on the Pride of America. They had no insurance and risked losing $600. deposit. I called the travel agent and she said he could not get his deposit back, but they could transfer his deposit to another cruise on

NCL. As long as it was with NCL they had no problem with the transfer.

They rescheduled for October on the Dawn. We were originally going May 13, 2006. Hope things work out for you. Good Luck!

Cella

We just had the same thing happen to one of our family members going on the Pride of America. They had no insurance and risked losing $600. deposit. I called the travel agent and she said he could not get his deposit back, but they could transfer his deposit to another cruise on

NCL. As long as it was with NCL they had no problem with the transfer.

They rescheduled for October on the Dawn. We were originally going May 13, 2006. Hope things work out for you. Good Luck!

Cella

:confused: Confused - if they were sailing on May 13th a refund should not have been an issue with NCL. Well outside the 75 day window. The only portion at risk whould have been the $50 pp air deposit. Maybe the TA did not want to lose the booking:rolleyes:

Shoreguy has hit it right on and you would not have lost your deposit if you were outside the final payment period. Someone has suggested to the OP, maybe you can find someone to take your place. If that won't work, you will probably lose the money as would happen with any cruise line. It used to be pretty easy to get them to apply the money to anyother booking or certainly give you part credit, but not anymore. Something comes up, can't go, oh well. It doesn't seem fair but it is the policy of all lines anymore especially when there isn't even a really good reason for cancelling. Well, you have a good one as far as you are concerned, but the cruise line doesn't see it that way. Even a really good TA may not be able to help much in this situation. Ask her/him to try one more time, maybe something can be done but don't hold your breath. NMnita

After granting me a credit for all the problems I encountered on The Dream, they refused to honor it. After having making several phone calls which l was told a different thing each time, I had several letters written in my behalf including a statement from my Physician. The letters were sent by certified mail and never acknowledged.

To save my sanity, I switched to Carnival.:eek:

After granting me a credit for all the problems I encountered on The Dream, they refused to honor it.

To save my sanity, I switched to Carnival.:eek:

Why, did Carnival honor your credit for the problems encountered on The Dream? :rolleyes:

Archived