HAL and Navica/Abbott/emed

Coyote Chris

I am due to sail on the K dam on Feb 20th.  I have an appt for DocGo in San Diego the day of the cruise. I thought in preparation for future cruises I would try Navica/Abbott/Emed monitored testing which HAL approves of the day before the cruise.  But then I thought, what if I get a false positive?  Does emed report that to HAL?  I know they ask you what cruise line you are sailing on?

1 hour ago, Coyote Chris said:

I am due to sail on the K dam on Feb 20th.  I have an appt for DocGo in San Diego the day of the cruise. I thought in preparation for future cruises I would try Navica/Abbott/Emed monitored testing which HAL approves of the day before the cruise.  But then I thought, what if I get a false positive?  Does emed report that to HAL?  I know they ask you what cruise line you are sailing on?

When took my EMED test, they did not ask me what cruise line I was sailing on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RAS4331 said:

I’ll be using the Binax now test pictured above, and I have also been worrying about false positives.  I found this article which was fairly reassuring.  

https://www.prevention.com/health/health-conditions/a38769630/false-positive-covid-test/

Very interesting article, even though they say "sensitive" and non-sensitive.  They talk about things the news doesnt, like you are after cells, not mucus...(Kids get false positives by putting fruit juice in their noses so they can stay home from school.)  I think false positives are something to be aware of, but as one person said, at the dock, they are mostly due to bad batches of kits...

We did it two weeks ago, did not specify a cruise line (HAL was not an option) and when we did the test, we just got it on our phones in the app. Then we showed that at embarkation...no problems.

• Like 1

We haven’t sailed on HAL during the pandemic, so I can’t speak as to HAL, but other cruise lines have a pre-cruise health questionnaire that asks, among other things, whether you’ve tested positive for covid during the past 10 or 14 days. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Turtles06 said:

We haven’t sailed on HAL during the pandemic, so I can’t speak as to HAL, but other cruise lines have a pre-cruise health questionnaire that asks, among other things, whether you’ve tested positive for covid during the past 10 or 14 days. 

With HAL, you log in 3 days out and do a health assessement.  Another reason I got a lap top but I believe it can be done on a smart phone.  I will check that out on the app. In days of yore. (two years ago) it was a paper form you filled out at the dock.

Me waiting for Navica results

1655860159_50q.jpg.f5dbdcff2fa94bec6a21ef45c0801db5.jpg

While they may not be reported to the cruise line, the eMed web site does state that they are reported to the appropriate public health agency (probably based upon your address zip code).  That means that there is a reported trail.  A friend of mine got a call from their local public health department after getting a positive result using an eMed test.

There is still the question on the health form where it asks if you have tested positive?  Even if you get a negative result with another test before the cruise you will have tested positive and not marking that question appropriately does provide a legal liability considering that your local health department gets the result.