Vacs and Unvacs

GranysT

On 2/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, alwaysflyin said:

I'm bringing my unvaccinated 10 year-old on Royal next month.  She and I have both already had covid (caught it on a Royal cruise ship, most likely, back in March 2020 and had very mild symptoms) and she's since been exposed to covid superspreader events, repeatedly, Delta and Omicron, and not gotten it again.  Yes, she was tested each time--negative.  I'd put her immunity against that of a boosted older person any day.  Her risk of serious illness or death is a lot lower than that of a boosted 80 year old with multiple co-morbidities but those people seem to have no problem sailing.  Royal seems to know that too, as vaccines are still not required for those under 12.

Just a head up, but my child got Covid twice within 100 days. Natural immunity may not be as strong as you believe it to be.  Not looking to argue, just telling you what happened to my child. 

• Like 2

I guess I am getting to old to understand some of today's parenting models.  Why in the world would they continue to expose a child to an illness when they know they are vulnerable to it?  Do they not care to protect their child from even the mildest form of illness?  Even the flu is a very uncomfortable experience at its mildest form and most people would not want to be exposed to it.  

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

I guess I am getting to old to understand some of today's parenting models.  Why in the world would they continue to expose a child to an illness when they know they are vulnerable to it?  Do they not care to protect their child from even the mildest form of illness?  Even the flu is a very uncomfortable experience at its mildest form and most people would not want to be exposed to it.  

I am not even really sure how to respond to this.  I mean, my parents chained smoked in the house and in the car growing up.  I roamed the neighborhood until dark with no supervision, I was a latch key kid as well.  The first part of my life there were virtually no seat belts in vehicles.  If you are too old to understand than I am sure you remember much of the life I am speaking of.....Flu/strep/RSV/hand foot mouth/ear infections all exist, my son almost died from an ear infection that spread to his blood stream when he was 10 months old.  Should I just shut his life down and tell him he can't go anywhere anymore because it is too dangerous? 

One cannot fault the older generation for not knowing that  second hand smoke can be deadly; that protecting occupants of vehicles with safety belts would save lives.  We now have vaccines that can protect from the flu, that there is medical interventions that can reduce ear infections, etc., etc.   We, also, now know that there is a vaccination that will eliminate or reduce the chance of Covid infection-of getting it and of spreading it to others.  Most parents now know what actions they can take to reduce the chance of illness in their children.

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I am not even really sure how to respond to this.  I mean, my parents chained smoked in the house and in the car growing up.  I roamed the neighborhood until dark with no supervision, I was a latch key kid as well.  The first part of my life there were virtually no seat belts in vehicles.  If you are too old to understand than I am sure you remember much of the life I am speaking of.....Flu/strep/RSV/hand foot mouth/ear infections all exist, my son almost died from an ear infection that spread to his blood stream when he was 10 months old.  Should I just shut his life down and tell him he can't go anywhere anymore because it is too dangerous? 

My mother smoked cigarettes while she gave me bottles per my sisters.  And held me on her lap in the car.  I did live to tell the tale.  

After watching the fans at the Superbowl, I don't worry anymore.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

My mother smoked cigarettes while she gave me bottles per my sisters.  And held me on her lap in the car.  I did live to tell the tale.  

After watching the fans at the Superbowl, I don't worry anymore.

Yeah, my mom smoked while pregnant with me... agreed, all those people can sit together in California of all places, it should be time to stop all this. 

12 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

One cannot fault the older generation for not knowing that  second hand smoke can be deadly; that protecting occupants of vehicles with safety belts would save lives.  We now have vaccines that can protect from the flu, that there is medical interventions that can reduce ear infections, etc., etc.   We, also, now know that there is a vaccination that will eliminate or reduce the chance of Covid infection-of getting it and of spreading it to others.  Most parents now know what actions they can take to reduce the chance of illness in their children.

I take care of my kids just fine.  I have an almost 30 and 28 year old, as well as the 11 year old.  All very loved and cared for.