Accessible Cabins Re Classed on Iona.

hollyjess

7 minutes ago, Beezes80 said:

WOW! Thank you for such detailed information, that's absolutely perfect.

Transfer side and space between beds isn't a big issue as once inside the cabin I can use my stick to get about, just as long as there's space for the chair to go in and pop over to one side which it sounds/looks like there is. Dimensions wise it's similar to your wife's so should be fine.

I have another TA today trying to get me on the select rate when 3 of the 4 PF partially accessible Iona cabins are still available, for a trip next spring. Saver rate is still available on the P&O website for standard PF cabins so I'm going to assume this is another one who doesn't know the rules. I have replied to request the saver rate but no response as yet.

Noted re your last point 😆

Thanks again

Again, poor advice from your TA.  

It's down to personal choice, but there can be a huge difference between the saver rate and select rate, often with not much benefit in going with the latter.

In April we saw a fantastic price for two week Med cruise on Arvia, leaving a week later. There were just five inside cabins left, with three of them being PC grade, all at £649 each. I told the advisor which one we preferred (15322), with the knowledge that we would be given what we were given.  She asked if I wanted to pay almost £1000 for the two of us, for the select fare, so we could choose our preferred cabin. "No, thank you".  Two hours later, the email arrived with our cabin allocation.

Stick to your guns. If you are still having problems with your TA, perhaps go directly to P&O. 

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

Again, poor advice from your TA.  

It's down to personal choice, but there can be a huge difference between the saver rate and select rate, often with not much benefit in going with the latter.

In April we saw a fantastic price for two week Med cruise on Arvia, leaving a week later. There were just five inside cabins left, with three of them being PC grade, all at £649 each. I told the advisor which one we preferred (15322), with the knowledge that we would be given what we were given.  She asked if I wanted to pay almost £1000 for the two of us, for the select fare, so we could choose our preferred cabin. "No, thank you".  Two hours later, the email arrived with our cabin allocation.

Stick to your guns. If you are still having problems with your TA, perhaps go directly to P&O. 

That really is a BIG saving, wow, what a result!

When I was first told saver was not an option for accessible cabins I thought it couldn't be right, why wouldn't we have the same price options as those who don't need the extra access?

I can see the appeal of select but when I'm really only looking at a pot luck of 4 cabins in the same area (saving any upgrades obv) I think for this trip it really won't make much difference.

TA just confirmed saver rate is fine for a partially accessible cabin, but subject to availability. So yes, I think direct with P&O might be safest for me for now...

Can i add some advice to this post after recently travelling on the Iona & Britannia for the first time since i had my Leg Amputated.

1. Iona Partially Accessible are very small and not really suitable for Rollator users but only called that cause they have Electric doors and a Adaptive Bathroom, apart from that i found myself spending a lot of time walking backwards with my Rollotor in Cabin because of lack of floor space.

2. Went on Britannia a month later and using a Rollotor all day was exhausting on Iona so hired a wheelchair to use and to call Britannia Wheelchair Friendly is a wide use of those words.

Unless you call having NO Electronic Doors on ship except 2 on the Separate Mens & Ladies Disabled Toilets on Deck 16 ( which i have never seen separate Disabled Toilets anywhere).

No Electric Doors on Fully Accessible Cabin or Toilet Door, No Electric Doors going out on deck, you have to go through 2 normal doors with handles on them with Automatic Closers fitted to Access Disabled Toilet anywhere else on ship, and on Deck 17 there is a area if you want to continue round deck you must go through the Gym but to enter you must go up a ramp about 4 ft long them open a door by it's handle opening out the way so would be difficult with someone using a Walker never mind a Wheelchair.

To Call the Britannia Wheelchair friendly is a Wide Stretch of the Imagination of what is considered Wheelchair Friendly.

Happy Cruising.

Sadly No more P&O for me last 2 have been terrible due to my now Disability.

Edited by Cpt Pugwash
spelling

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Can i add some advice to this post after recently travelling on the Iona & Britannia for the first time since i had my Leg Amputated.

1. Iona Partially Accessible are very small and not really suitable for Rollator users but only called that cause they have Electric doors and a Adaptive Bathroom, apart from that i found myself spending a lot of time walking backwards with my Rollotor in Cabin because of lack of floor space.

2. Went on Britannia a month later and using a Rollotor all day was exhausting on Iona so hired a wheelchair to use and to call Britannia Wheelchair Friendly is a wide use of those words.

Unless you call having NO Electronic Doors on ship except 2 on the Separate Mens & Ladies Disabled Toilets on Deck 16 ( which i have never seen separate Disabled Toilets anywhere).

No Electric Doors on Fully Accessible Cabin or Toilet Door, No Electric Doors going out on deck, you have to go through 2 normal doors with handles on them with Automatic Closers fitted to Access Disabled Toilet anywhere else on ship, and on Deck 17 there is a area if you want to continue round deck you must go through the Gym but to enter you must go up a ramp about 4 ft long them open a door by it's handle opening out the way so would be difficult with someone using a Walker never mind a Wheelchair.

To Call the Britannia Wheelchair friendly is a Wide Stretch of the Imagination of what is considered Wheelchair Friendly.

Happy Cruising.

Sadly No more P&O for me last 2 have been terrible due to my now Disability.

It's regrettable that you have had a poor experience with the cabins on Iona, and the cabins and facilities on Britannia.

I would agree with you that Britannia is not perfect, and a full time wheelchair user would have difficulties with the doors if travelling alone, and that all outside areas are not wholly accessible. We've only travelled in a balcony cabin on Britannia, twice in the same grade, so I cannot comment on the inside cabins. Our cabin was no different to many accessible hotel rooms we have stayed in, a lot of which do not have automatic doors; I am able to assist my wife by operating the manual doors in the cabin and around the ship.

I would say that, although not perfect, P&O have come on in leaps and bounds with the disabled facilities and accessibility on Iona and Arvia for wheelchair users.  Almost all doors, and certainly the ones for access the decks, are automatic, as are the doors for all public toilets. I concede though that the latter may be a by-product of the desire to make the doors for toilets touch free from a hygiene perspective.

The automatic doors for the cabin and bathroom are, in my opinion, a good idea for wheelchair users, as are the automatic balcony doors. The moveable sinks and support bars are also a good feature.

The accessible inside cabins on Iona and Arvia were reclassified because of customer feedback, in that they are not suitable for large wheelchairs and mobility scooters due to the space and small turning circles. My wife's power chair that she uses at home would fit through the cabin and bathroom door, but she would not be able to move freely about the cabin and bathroom in it.

I accept your point that you have difficulty with your rollator, and maybe the dimensions of it and you together take up more floor space than my wife's travel wheelchair, but she has not had problems with manoeuvrability in the two inside cabins we have been in on Arvia.  The toggle switch for the main door is far enough back that she can operate it without interfering with the operation of the door, then boule straight out of the cabin.  Granted though, that opening the bathroom door requires a little more forethought; she would activate it by pressing on the toggle switch at the side of it, but the door does not open fully straightaway because it hits the front of her chair; however, when she moves back in her chair the door continues in its opening motion, without further hindrance.  That is the same for the balcony and inside cabins we have been in.

I would not agree with your description of the inside accessible cabins on Iona being 'very small'.  The PF cabin 9229 we had on Arvia, identical to the one Beezes80 is looking at for Iona, had maximum dimensions of 4.9m x 3.76m for the bedroom, and 2.37m x 2m for the bathroom, a space of 121cm between the foot of the bed and the wardrobe, a space of 66.5cm on my side of the bed, and a space of 80.5cm on my wife's side of the bed.  We have been in European accessible rooms smaller than that.

Again, I'm sorry that you've had a problem, and that you feel you can no longer travel with P&O but, given that Beezes80's chair has similar dimensions to my wife's travel chair, and that they can walk a little way, and that they will have a companion with them, I really do think they will be fine with the partially-accessible inside cabins on Iona and Arvia.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Beezes80 said:

That really is a BIG saving, wow, what a result!

When I was first told saver was not an option for accessible cabins I thought it couldn't be right, why wouldn't we have the same price options as those who don't need the extra access?

I can see the appeal of select but when I'm really only looking at a pot luck of 4 cabins in the same area (saving any upgrades obv) I think for this trip it really won't make much difference.

TA just confirmed saver rate is fine for a partially accessible cabin, but subject to availability. So yes, I think direct with P&O might be safest for me for now...

Incidentally, is your TA offering you anything extra, such as free coach travel or a little bit of discount? If not, you may be as well going through P&O direct. You will know that you cannot book online, you have to call.

When you do call, have all your ducks in a row, and be firm on what you want. Be clear that you believe you will be able to manage with a partially accessible cabin.

If you need any further advice about any aspect of cruising with P&O, not just with the accessible cabins, just post. Many folk on here have been cruising for many years and there is a wealth of experience between all contributors. Granted, a very small percentage may come across as having an agenda, be it very pro or very anti P&O or a particular ship, but in the replies you receive, taken as a whole, you should be able to get a balanced overview, and answers to your queries.

Good luck with your trip planning.🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Incidentally, is your TA offering you anything extra, such as free coach travel or a little bit of discount? If not, you may be as well going through P&O direct. You will know that you cannot book online, you have to call.

When you do call, have all your ducks in a row, and be firm on what you want. Be clear that you believe you will be able to manage with a partially accessible cabin.

If you need any further advice about any aspect of cruising with P&O, not just with the accessible cabins, just post. Many folk on here have been cruising for many years and there is a wealth of experience between all contributors. Granted, a very small percentage may come across as having an agenda, be it very pro or very anti P&O or a particular ship, but in the replies you receive, taken as a whole, you should be able to get a balanced overview, and answers to your queries.

Good luck with your trip planning.🙂

Nothing extra mentioned except for with the select price, so that's just standard from what I can tell - onboard spending or parking or coach. Definitely better to call P&O but want to be sure of everything first, as you say.

I'm still miffed they don't provide accessible cabin plans/dimensions/full descriptions so people can make an informed decision instead of potentially spooking them into booking a fully accessible cabin when it's not needed - which of course also reduces the number of fully accessible options for those who need them. It's not like there are hundreds to choose from. And the flipside of course, those booking partially accessible cabins thinking they will be sufficient and finding out too late that's not the case.

Plenty still to investigate so will be sure to ask if I get stuck on anything else, and will keep an eye on the balance as mentioned. 

Thanks again for the help and especially the photos. It really helps to visualise the space when you can actually see the space!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beezes80 said:

Nothing extra mentioned except for with the select price, so that's just standard from what I can tell - onboard spending or parking or coach. Definitely better to call P&O but want to be sure of everything first, as you say.

I'm still miffed they don't provide accessible cabin plans/dimensions/full descriptions so people can make an informed decision instead of potentially spooking them into booking a fully accessible cabin when it's not needed - which of course also reduces the number of fully accessible options for those who need them. It's not like there are hundreds to choose from. And the flipside of course, those booking partially accessible cabins thinking they will be sufficient and finding out too late that's not the case.

Plenty still to investigate so will be sure to ask if I get stuck on anything else, and will keep an eye on the balance as mentioned. 

Thanks again for the help and especially the photos. It really helps to visualise the space when you can actually see the space!

You are very welcome.🙂

They don't publish the actual dimensions, but they do have them to hand. When we booked our PF cabin for January, we did so when the cruise was first released. When we later received the email about the cabins being reclassified, I called to assess our options. I asked for, and was given the dimensions, including between the bed and walls or fixed furniture, for our cabin and an outside cabin. It was then that I was satisfied that the PF cabin would be suitable.

In the notes on the deck plans, they now say that the partially accessible cabins are only suitable for non-motorised upright mobility devices, and not wheelchairs or scooters. That is misleading and is possibly taken as gospel by some TAs, hence the poor advice you were initially given.  They are certainly not suitable for scooters or most large power chairs, but are suitable for my wife's travel chair and, from what you describe, yours too.  I think the wording in those notes should be changed to reflect that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TigerB said:

You are very welcome.🙂

They don't publish the actual dimensions, but they do have them to hand. When we booked our PF cabin for January, we did so when the cruise was first released. When we later received the email about the cabins being reclassified, I called to assess our options. I asked for, and was given the dimensions, including between the bed and walls or fixed furniture, for our cabin and an outside cabin. It was then that I was satisfied that the PF cabin would be suitable.

In the notes on the deck plans, they now say that the partially accessible cabins are only suitable for non-motorised upright mobility devices, and not wheelchairs or scooters. That is misleading and is possibly taken as gospel by some TAs, hence the poor advice you were initially given.  They are certainly not suitable for scooters or most large power chairs, but are suitable for my wife's travel chair and, from what you describe, yours too.  I think the wording in those notes should be changed to reflect that.

Agreed. It's just that bit too vague.

A couple of points:

1. Britannia was designed in the late noughties. Iona was designed in the mid teens. The difference in accessibility between the two is clear and reflects the change in public expectation at the time of design.

2. Saver fares are available for accessible cabins as long as more than one cabin in a specific type of cabin is available.

You book saver then someone should allocate the cabin almost straight away.

Feedback suggests that alot of travel agents and P&O call centre staff don’t understand how to do this.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

A couple of points:

1. Britannia was designed in the late noughties. Iona was designed in the mid teens. The difference in accessibility between the two is clear and reflects the change in public expectation at the time of design.

2. Saver fares are available for accessible cabins as long as more than one cabin in a specific type of cabin is available.

Feedback suggests that alot of travel agents and P&O call centre staff don’t understand how to do this.

Any tips if I happen to get one of the call centre team less familiar with it? Is it an "ask for a supervisor" type moment (icky) or a "call back later and hope for someone else" situation?

9 hours ago, TigerB said:

It's regrettable that you have had a poor experience with the cabins on Iona, and the cabins and facilities on Britannia.

I would agree with you that Britannia is not perfect, and a full time wheelchair user would have difficulties with the doors if travelling alone, and that all outside areas are not wholly accessible. We've only travelled in a balcony cabin on Britannia, twice in the same grade, so I cannot comment on the inside cabins. Our cabin was no different to many accessible hotel rooms we have stayed in, a lot of which do not have automatic doors; I am able to assist my wife by operating the manual doors in the cabin and around the ship.

I would say that, although not perfect, P&O have come on in leaps and bounds with the disabled facilities and accessibility on Iona and Arvia for wheelchair users.  Almost all doors, and certainly the ones for access the decks, are automatic, as are the doors for all public toilets. I concede though that the latter may be a by-product of the desire to make the doors for toilets touch free from a hygiene perspective.

The automatic doors for the cabin and bathroom are, in my opinion, a good idea for wheelchair users, as are the automatic balcony doors. The moveable sinks and support bars are also a good feature.

The accessible inside cabins on Iona and Arvia were reclassified because of customer feedback, in that they are not suitable for large wheelchairs and mobility scooters due to the space and small turning circles. My wife's power chair that she uses at home would fit through the cabin and bathroom door, but she would not be able to move freely about the cabin and bathroom in it.

I accept your point that you have difficulty with your rollator, and maybe the dimensions of it and you together take up more floor space than my wife's travel wheelchair, but she has not had problems with manoeuvrability in the two inside cabins we have been in on Arvia.  The toggle switch for the main door is far enough back that she can operate it without interfering with the operation of the door, then boule straight out of the cabin.  Granted though, that opening the bathroom door requires a little more forethought; she would activate it by pressing on the toggle switch at the side of it, but the door does not open fully straightaway because it hits the front of her chair; however, when she moves back in her chair the door continues in its opening motion, without further hindrance.  That is the same for the balcony and inside cabins we have been in.

I would not agree with your description of the inside accessible cabins on Iona being 'very small'.  The PF cabin 9229 we had on Arvia, identical to the one Beezes80 is looking at for Iona, had maximum dimensions of 4.9m x 3.76m for the bedroom, and 2.37m x 2m for the bathroom, a space of 121cm between the foot of the bed and the wardrobe, a space of 66.5cm on my side of the bed, and a space of 80.5cm on my wife's side of the bed.  We have been in European accessible rooms smaller than that.

Again, I'm sorry that you've had a problem, and that you feel you can no longer travel with P&O but, given that Beezes80's chair has similar dimensions to my wife's travel chair, and that they can walk a little way, and that they will have a companion with them, I really do think they will be fine with the partially-accessible inside cabins on Iona and Arvia.

22 minutes ago, Beezes80 said:

Any tips if I happen to get one of the call centre team less familiar with it? Is it an "ask for a supervisor" type moment (icky) or a "call back later and hope for someone else" situation?

Ask for someone else to help. They can’t discriminate under UK law so by forcing you into a high booking level that would be so.

Just remember P&O still get to chose which accessible cabin, it just can be any in that grade (or higher).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Ask for someone else to help. They can’t discriminate under UK law so by forcing you into a high booking level that would be so.

Just remember P&O still get to chose which accessible cabin, it just can be any in that grade (or higher).

Lovely, thanks. See, that's exactly what I said to the TA, asking disabled people to pay more than non disabled people for the same service is against the EA2010 but they were adamant. They're on the nono list.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

A couple of points:

I wish I had known this years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I wish I had known this years ago.

I think we both agree that Iona/Arvia are so much better than all the other ships for disability access. I had not noticed it so much before but the contrast was stark when getting off Aurora and going on to Iona.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, daiB said:

I think we both agree that Iona/Arvia are so much better than all the other ships for disability access. I had not noticed it so much before but the contrast was stark when getting off Aurora and going on to Iona.

My comment was specifcally related to being able to book an accessible cabin on a saver fare, which on Iona or Arvia with only freedom dining, would certainly be worthwhile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daiB said:

Oh, now, that IS interesting as the other half (able bodied) is doing a solo recce of Aurora this very moment and his reports so far are pretty favourable - including chatting to and getting feedback from a wheelchair user. But it's never the same as doing it yourself of course. If Iona is my starter ship I now know to be prepared for that being the better option if I then go on to other, older ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beezes80 said:

Oh, now, that IS interesting as the other half (able bodied) is doing a solo recce of Aurora this very moment and his reports so far are pretty favourable - including chatting to and getting feedback from a wheelchair user. But it's never the same as doing it yourself of course. If Iona is my starter ship I now know to be prepared for that being the better option if I then go on to other, older ships.

The main problem for me on Aurora are the lack of automatic doors to get out on to the prom deck. The cabins are fine (accessible) and getting out on deck 12 for the pool and buffet are good as well. Getting out on deck 13 is a challenge. On Iona it was a breeze.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

A couple of points:

So if there is only one cabin left in the grade I want I have to pay select fare or don’t book? Surely it’s not my fault there is only one cabin left and should be given the opportunity to book select or saver? 

Michelle

1 minute ago, Peanut006 said:

So if there is only one cabin left in the grade I want I have to pay select fare or don’t book? Surely it’s not my fault there is only one cabin left and should be given the opportunity to book select or saver? 

Michelle

Sorry, a better way to word what I meant is,  if a standard cabin in the grade can be booked on a saver, then the accessible cabin should be bookable on a saver.

Well that's me notified P&O to remove alll my details from there system as i will never be travelling with them again due mainly putting in a complaint of staff standing round watching me struggle to carry things while many of the Passengers offered me help cause they could see what the staff didn't and what was P&O's reply to that complaint put in 6 weeks ago Silence.

I know what kind of company working for years for one the same but never wanting to climb the ladder things go wrong, mistakes happen you either acknowledge them and make sure they never happen again or you ignore them cause all your interested in is Praise.   

By there silence they have shown which one they are.

Also on here i have had so many comments from people basically saying 'i was OK for me' i wouldn't deny it wasn't but because something was OK for them whatever it was does not make a difference to anyone who had a bad experience of whatever.

Time for me to move on i have always said 'if someone is good at there job i will praise them from the rooftops but if someone is not i won't cover for bad service'.

And since P&O will tell everyone how good there service is there silence shows it is not.

As the saying goes 'A persons actions not there words will tell you everything you need to know about them'.

Happy Cruising Folks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Also on here i have had so many comments from people basically saying 'i was OK for me' i wouldn't deny it wasn't but because something was OK for them whatever it was does not make a difference to anyone who had a bad experience of whatever.

And vice versa. 

It is important that good experiences are shared as well as bad to help us make decisions about our future cruising, which is why most of us come here. 

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience, nobody should be treated like that and I would be calling out the staff if I witnessed it. 

Take care. 

Andy 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Well that's me notified P&O to remove alll my details from there system as i will never be travelling with them again due mainly putting in a complaint of staff standing round watching me struggle to carry things while many of the Passengers offered me help cause they could see what the staff didn't and what was P&O's reply to that complaint put in 6 weeks ago Silence.

I know what kind of company working for years for one the same but never wanting to climb the ladder things go wrong, mistakes happen you either acknowledge them and make sure they never happen again or you ignore them cause all your interested in is Praise.   

By there silence they have shown which one they are.

Time for me to move on i have always said 'if someone is good at there job i will praise them from the rooftops but if someone is not i won't cover for bad service'.

And since P&O will tell everyone how good there service is there silence shows it is not.

As the saying goes 'A persons actions not there words will tell you everything you need to know about them'.

Happy Cruising Folks.

May I suggest you tell ABTA of your lack of response from P&O as yours is a very important issue.  As P&O have failed to respond within the 28 days the rules state they must you are within your rights to go to ABTA.

I appreciate you do not wish to deal with P&O again but others with disabilities such as yours may do and P&O should deal with them properly.

• Like 3