Booked Basic Fare -will test "pay as you go"

Sentebale

Based on running the numbers if you don't drink alcohol the numbers just don't add up for Princess Plus compared to the base fare.  Even adding the soda & more package (11.80 per day per person), Wifi ($5 per day with Platinum/Elite discount, or $10 a day for the 4 device plan for 2 people) and crew gratuities ($14.50 per day per person) that comes out to $31.30 per day, $18.70 less than the $50 a day to add Princess Plus.  Depending how much stuff you drink, I also suspect most people who don't drink alcohol probably aren't drinking $12 worth of soda and mocktails a day anyway, so ala carte would very likely be cheaper anyway.  Adding unlimited coffee drinks to that is another $11.80 per day and puts you much closer to the $50 per day, but a coffee card costs $36.58 ($5.23 per day for a 7 day cruise) and would get 2 people a premium coffee drink per day for the entire cruise, or an elite member could swap the minibar for 2 coffee cards and have enough coffee to never fall asleep ever again.  

Now if you're ruby, need to keep 4 devices connected to the Internet at all times and 11 lattes a day to keep functioning then Princess Plus might make sense, but if that's the case you're probably too busy to take a cruse anyway...

Edited by Vexorg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sentebale said:

.Long short is that it became a joke b/c laundry was free, specialty dining was free, internet was free, and other stuff I don't remember. Part of the prize was minibar setup, and when we said "thanks, but we don't need/want it" Princess gave us ~$76 OBC. We kept getting all these crazy perks.  They kept charging us for laundry; every few days I'd try to straighten it out at desk.

Whatever. So 16 days of cruising w/ booze/tips/internet/6 nights of specialty dining/transport to Victoria Station cost $362. Kinda weird because we tipped way more than $500. I did buy stock and got $250 OBC. I sold the stock shortly after submitting the form and made money on that, too. I see CLL is around $8 today, ouch. I think I bought low $20's and sold for $1 more per share than at purchase.

Anyway, skipping the all inclusive package was the right decision.

I had forgotten about your thread.  Thank you for coming back.  BUT, there is some fallacies to your numbers.  You were fortunate to have won a raffle AND bought and sold your CCL stock before the cruise but still maintained the OBC ($250).  (I won't comment on my opinion on this).  If you did not have the OBC, then you would have been out of pocket more.

Specialty dinners are not an Elite Perk.  Not sure why that was given to you.

Free internet is no longer an Elite Perk.  You would have been charged $10/day/pp for how every many days you were cruising.  That would have been another out of pocket expense.

Laundry is an Elite Perk:  You are charged by Laundry and reimbursed by ship the following night.

One mini bar (worth $76 on paper only) is an Elite Perk.

Therefore, if you had not received the raffle gift, all of the non-Elite benefits, and the CCL Shareholder credit, you would have...INDEED...have paid more than Princess Plus.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had forgotten about your thread.  Thank you for coming back.  BUT, there is some fallacies to your numbers.  You were fortunate to have won a raffle AND bought and sold your CCL stock before the cruise but still maintained the OBC ($250).  (I won't comment on my opinion on this).  If you did not have the OBC, then you would have been out of pocket more.

Specialty dinners are not an Elite Perk.  Not sure why that was given to you.

Free internet is no longer an Elite Perk.  You would have been charged $10/day/pp for how every many days you were cruising.  That would have been another out of pocket expense.

Laundry is an Elite Perk:  You are charged by Laundry and reimbursed by ship the following night.

One mini bar (worth $76 on paper only) is an Elite Perk.

Therefore, if you had not received the raffle gift, all of the non-Elite benefits, and the CCL Shareholder credit, you would have...INDEED...have paid more than Princess Plus.

Thank you for taking the time to do the maths. I always thought that the logic was flawed,  and you have proved that to be the case.

• Like 1