Has anyone flown in to Genoa for a Mediterranean cruise -- pointers?

xcell

I like cruising in the Caribbean because I have done it enough, it is simple.

Trying a Mediterranean cruise in 2023 and I should have researched more before booking, so starting to do that now. Barecelona would have been an easier to port to embark out of but I picked Genoa.

Any hints in terms of flying there?  What's a good airline? etc...

KLM would be my choice, with a transfer in Amsterdam. Air Canada flies you into Rome, and you then transfer to Alitalia, but the duration of your total flight is a couple of hours longer. But any airline that gets you into Europe will probably offer a connecting flight to Genoa, so start by checking out the airlines you've been satisfied with in the past.

Thanks.

I looked at the port of call forum but there's really nothing specific for Canadians flying into Genoa.

Milan isn't bad but then there's a 3 hour train ride from that airport to Genoa and when I price it out (I am using this year July 2022), the price isn't that much cheaper (considering you need to take a taxi to the train, then take the train and then taxi to to the cruise port and the 3 hours ride).

You could try an Air Canada routing with KLM. Or through the US. That may put you on United which is about as good as AC. Might also be possible to get into the British Airways out of Washington if you want good service. I think you may end up with a couple of transfers.  Also watch for their testing. Italy leaves it up to the regions to make their own rules. 

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

You could try an Air Canada routing with KLM. Or through the US. That may put you on United which is about as good as AC. Might also be possible to get into the British Airways out of Washington if you want good service. I think you may end up with a couple of transfers.  Also watch for their testing. Italy leaves it up to the regions to make their own rules. 

Hopefully by 2023 the testing will be lessen or long gone (if only).

You are right you have made the Med.cruise more stressful by embarking in Genoa. Can you contact the cruise line and change it to a different port.

There are other buses if the cruise line doesn't provide shuttles.

https://www.busbud.com/en/bus-schedules-results/u0nd9h/spyke7?outbound_date=2022-04-05&adults=1

Be aware that Milan has two airports.  Malpensa is much further out of town than Linate.  Both have train service to Milan Central Station but Linate is a much shorter ride.  From Milan Centrale it is just and hour and a half to Genoa.