Drone use

sayvan

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the basic rules of using your drone when in port? I see a lot of drone footage in and around the cruise ships and I am certified to fly my drone but wondered on any particular concerns or issues when using a drone on a cruise… 

12 hours ago, sayvan said:

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the basic rules of using your drone when in port? I see a lot of drone footage in and around the cruise ships and I am certified to fly my drone but wondered on any particular concerns or issues when using a drone on a cruise… 

You need to first check the prohibited list for your cruise line, as some ban them completely, while others will let you bring them aboard, but they can't be used from the ship.

In port, you need to check the radio regulations of each country you visit, to determine whether they are acceptable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As others have said, different cruise lines have different policies regarding drone usage. We'll be sailing RCI to Alaska this summer, and I'm debating whether or not to bring my drone. It can't be used aboard the ship, nor can it be used around the port areas. It also can't be used in National Parks or at National Monuments, though it is allowed in National Forests. So it depends on what we wind up planning for excursions as to whether there will be any opportunity to use it. I've heard that Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is an area where drones are permitted, but I'm not sure if/where it might be allowed around Sitka and Haines. I'd love to get a few wide establishing shots of some mountain scenery, but only if I can find some secluded areas. The other consideration is airports and heliports, since you must maintain a certain distance from both of those, and there are a lot of those around the Alaskan ports.

• Like 1