Landing in IAH at 9am the day before our cruise. I'd like advice on what to do & where to stay between that and the cruise

Dragoncruiser22

Hi all,

As the title infers. We are sailing on Liberty out of Galveston April 10th. I originally posted (in the wrong forum, my bad) regarding the best way to get from a hotel to the ship as I know it's about an hour. A few people recommended just booking the cruise line shuttle from the airport which I think is what we are going to do.

I booked my airline tickets today and we land in IAH (Not Hobby/HOU) at 9am on the 9th. I know IAH is to the north of the city and quite a bit further from Galveston than Hobby, but we couldn't get any flights into the latter. The trip is my wife, myself and our 3yo (nearly 4 by the time we cruise) so I just want some wisdom from more experienced travelers on our hotel options. The plan was originally to get in later in the day so just get a hotel that has a shuttle to the airport and return the next morning to get the cruise shuttle. But given we have an entire day to kill my options I think are thus:

Find a hotel that has a pool etc and just hang out there all day/do touristy stuff into Houston, then follow the plan as above.

Venture into Houston and either get a hotel nearer Hobby airport.

I think option 1 is better as we wont be lugging luggage AND a toddler around all day. However, are there any decent transport links between IAH and the city or is it better to just hire a car for the day?

Any ideas I haven't thought of are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:07 PM, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Hi all,

As the title infers. We are sailing on Liberty out of Galveston April 10th. I originally posted (in the wrong forum, my bad) regarding the best way to get from a hotel to the ship as I know it's about an hour. A few people recommended just booking the cruise line shuttle from the airport which I think is what we are going to do.

I booked my airline tickets today and we land in IAH (Not Hobby/HOU) at 9am on the 9th. I know IAH is to the north of the city and quite a bit further from Galveston than Hobby, but we couldn't get any flights into the latter. The trip is my wife, myself and our 3yo (nearly 4 by the time we cruise) so I just want some wisdom from more experienced travelers on our hotel options. The plan was originally to get in later in the day so just get a hotel that has a shuttle to the airport and return the next morning to get the cruise shuttle. But given we have an entire day to kill my options I think are thus:

Find a hotel that has a pool etc and just hang out there all day/do touristy stuff into Houston, then follow the plan as above.

Venture into Houston and either get a hotel nearer Hobby airport.

I think option 1 is better as we wont be lugging luggage AND a toddler around all day. However, are there any decent transport links between IAH and the city or is it better to just hire a car for the day?

Any ideas I haven't thought of are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We are flying in to IAH two days before our Adventure cruise. Our plan after a lot of research is to get an Uber or Lyft ride from the airport to Galveston. We chose the Harbor House hotel because we can walk to the ship. But there were so many hotels on the island that have pools where you could hangout with your family for the day. 

We are planning to try the trolley to explore the island. Your daughter might enjoy that as well!

With a 3 year old in tow option 1 may be your best choice. There is an abundant # of hotels, at various price points, around IAH. Most of them haveoutdoor pools and offer shuttles to/from the airport.

Both RCL and Carnival have shuttle buses from both IAH and Hobby tothe cruise terminal on cruise day.

If you have questions anout a specific hotel PM me and I will give you my opinion of that property.

If you stay near IAH, how will you do touristy stuff?  There is not a lot up there.  

How about a third option:  stay near the medical center or museum district (they are next to each other), and go to the nearby zoo and/or children's museum.  The zoo has a really nice children's area towards the back with a splash pad, so bring a change of clothes.  Rice Village is also close to there and has a nice selection of shopping and restaurants.  This area is about half way between IAH and Galveston.  Then go down to Galveston the next day.  

It could just be me, but spending all day at a hotel with my 3yo would have made me crazy, even with a pool.

Edited by ljandgb

13 hours ago, dan4182 said:

... If you have questions anout a specific hotel PM me and I will give you my opinion of that property.

Howdy @dan4182 emo22.gif

The Message feature is disabled for members. It has been that way since waaay before I became a member. At this time Administrators & Hosts can use the Message feature to contact each other and members. However, members cannot use the feature to reply back to the Administrators or Hosts.

Just a friendly emo34.gif reminder... please note the following from the Posting and You! section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Answer Posts on the Boards, Not Via Email!
Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Get on to Galveston ISLAND a major tourist destination in it self .

Lyft or Uber or thi

rd party transfer !

Enjoy your vacation and stay one day earlier.   

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

I would lyft or hire a shuttle service for round trip to Galveston. Stay at hotel Galvez. There is good food at hotel and around the hotel on the main street of the island/beach area. You will be across the street from the beach plus their pool is fabulous. Plenty of site seeing along the beach plus Pleasure Pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1