Tracy Arm Fjord

lazey1

We did it off another line but it is the same company. We did it several years back and yes- we thought it was worth while, despite it being rather pricey. It was a bit crowded but there was space both inside and out onboard the small ship (I think it qualifies as a ship and not a boat). It was a bit chilly outside so we went back and forth- inside was lovely and warm. You do get much closer to the glacier although how close is dependent on how many small icebergs were floating around. But certainly much much closer than the cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

We did the excursion with Holland America twice ---- AMAZING!  We love the small boat to Tracy Arm and felt it was worth every penny to get up close and personal with the glaciers.  We are big fans of glaciers and whales from a smaller ship perspective.  Agree with the weather aspect that "5waldos" mentioned.  For us, we spent a good deal of time outside enjoying the scenery.

• Thanks 1

We did this tour with HAL in 2018 mid August.  It was sunny and the views were amazing.  There is no assigned seat.  No problem, as people kept the same seat and moved around.  There are 2 decks. The lower deck is where you go outside.  Dress warm, as you will want to go outside.  Bring rain gear just in case.  There was food/drink to buy.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, lazey1 said:

Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer excursion

A few tip's I'll share...

• book early with your cruise.  It's a tour that will sell out quick before embarkation.
  • I tried to book it on my 2019 cruise on the third week of May, it was not offered as it was too early in the season.

3 hours ago, xlxo said:

A few tip's I'll share...

• book early with your cruise.  It's a tour that will sell out quick before embarkation.
  • I tried to book it on my 2019 cruise on the third week of May, it was not offered as it was too early in the season.

That's odd as that was when we did take ours. And certainly there were a lot of small icebergs which blocked the way so we weren't able to get as close as you usually can later in the season.

"How smooth was the sailing?   We are signed up for it, but I'm concerned about motion.  "

I remember it being a pretty smooth sail- certainly don't remember it being rough at all. You are in a deep bay which probably is protective. 

• Like 1