First time WS guests - top tips?

tuffy0317

My husband and I are sailing on WS on the Wind Surf for the first time at the end of March for a milestone birthday. We've spent so much time hand wringing over COVID, that we've decided to focus now on getting excited! This will be our 13th cruise, but all the others have been on large ships (our favorite being Celebrity's Solstice class ships). We're very much looking forward to a smaller ship, with fewer people and a more laid back vibe - after a challenging 3+ years, we just want to relax and enjoy being somewhere warm. 

So my ask to the seasoned WS cruisers: what are your top tips and hacks? Tell me everything from your favorite coffee drink to dessert to hidden place to sit and read on deck. Thank you!

• Like 1

I don't know if there are any "tricks" - we've been 333 days on all the Windstar ships and find the best way to enjoy the ship is simply to let yourself be surprised. Get to know the crew and let them know what you like and what you don't. Talk to fellow passengers - share tables when you feel social and have a table for two when you don't. Go to "events" you might have avoided on the larger ships: vegetable carving, trivia, liar's club, towel folding. On the larger ships check out the main dining room menu early in the day to see if you want to eat there or at an alternate restaurant (make candles reservations your first day - we like late departure or overnight days for smoother meals) You can always see if there is a cancellation somewhere else if the menu isn't to your liking. Don't miss the yacht club for great coffee or a sandwich before going ashore.  Don't miss the on deck barbecue. Go to one of the lounges before the port talks for hot and cold hors dourves.  Relax, enjoy and just have a good time!

• Like 4

We've been on the Surf three times  ( two b to b ) and I never get tired of the sail away.  It is a treat you can not get on any of the big ships.  We were on our way departing from St Kitts once with our sails opening and the big Princess ship in port was taking photos of our sail away !

Agree too on the deck barbecue..my hint - ''skip the salads and go for the lobster tails first."

Plan Candles for a day in port if possible..otherwise it can be a bit windy.

Check the entertainment times in the lounges..they are often duos that are quite good.  Also the entertainment before dinner in the main lounge.

And check out the yacht club for coffees and snacks. 

• Like 2

I agree with r and rd, sit back and enjoy the ride. The ship is small and the service is outstanding.

Here are a few favorites in addition to the above. Watch the sunset from the Compass Rose or the pool deck. Be on deck for the sail away. Room service popcorn! 

• Like 2

Despite the small size of most cabins, they are efficiently laid out.  I've sailed with three large suitcases and never had an issue with where to place items in the cabin.  

I've always found the beds comfortable, but if there is something you want changed such as the "egg crate" topper, just let them know.

Don't hesitate to order in Eggs Benedict for breakfast if you like them as they are fabulous.  

I agree with everyone who says to be on the deck for the sail away.  If the weather is nice, it's magical.  If the weather is not nice, it's a different type of magical, and still an experience that I wouldn't miss.

It's been my experience that Windstar passengers have been really good at reading other passengers.  For example, if you want quiet time on the deck and are reading a book, people do not intrude unless they are asking a specific question such as if the deck chair beside you is being used by someone else who might have gone somewhere else for a short time.  If you want to socialize, talking with someone who is at the bar getting a drink is often an icebreaker as is talking with other passengers on excursions.

There are always areas in the shade and areas in the sun.  Sometimes, depending upon what you want at a specific time, you might need to walk a couple of laps around decks.  It's easily done as none of the decks are very large.  

The deck BBQ is always special and it's amazing what the chef, crew, and officers do to get everything ready.  I have found that arriving shortly before, or when it begins, is important if one is planning to sit with a group of people.  

Although I find every cruise a romantic experience, Windstar is at the top of my list.  If there is a full moon, it is amazing to stand on the deck and experience it without a crowd.  If you are celebrating an occasion and want to do it privately, the crew will do everything they can to make that happen.  If you are celebrating an occasion and want to share it with others, the crew will do everything they can to make it happen.  Share your thoughts, and what is important to you with your room steward, the dining staff, etc., and, realizing that there will be limitations as it is a small ship, everyone will do what they can to make the day special.  

Wishing you a fabulous cruise, and a wonderful milestone birthday celebration!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Wind Surf in December.  It was our first Windstar experience after decades on larger ships.  It was fantastic!  I echo what others have said.

Say "Hi" to Captain Roman from the lady who "sang to him" in December LOL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oBWkewIfZDUdIfiiK1yX0Bw_q710Pk22/view

I loved the "Open Bridge" as did my engineer husband.  

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 9:47 PM, honumaui said:

We've been on the Surf three times  ( two b to b ) and I never get tired of the sail away.  It is a treat you can not get on any of the big ships.  We were on our way departing from St Kitts once with our sails opening and the big Princess ship in port was taking photos of our sail away !

Agree too on the deck barbecue..my hint - ''skip the salads and go for the lobster tails first."

Plan Candles for a day in port if possible..otherwise it can be a bit windy.

Check the entertainment times in the lounges..they are often duos that are quite good.  Also the entertainment before dinner in the main lounge.

And check out the yacht club for coffees and snacks. 

On the Legend in November the BBQ had no lobster tails, and the entire thing was downsized. The daily menus are now online through the portal. Especially if you're known to the crew there is no real limit on dining in the specialty restaurants except that there's room - I think in November we hit Candles and the Tapas place 3-4 times each. The reservations guy would be cruising around the deck bar area, see us, and ask if we wanted to do one that night since they weren't full.

We're allergic to port talks in general, but they'll also come around the Yacht Club and the bar with appetizers.

I forgot the most important tip - just RELAX - no worries - there is no WS police force to chide you.

Edited by milepig
  • Like 1

There is absolutely nothing on the Surf that you will not enjoy. The crew, the cabins,  the beauty of the sails. It's a beautiful ship and you will fall in love with her. Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If there is something on the menu that you really enjoy, you can ask if they will share the recipe with you.  I have done this several times and the recipe will magically appear in my room the next day.  I hope they are still doing that!!!

• Like 2