Playa Maya grand beach park without booking through rCCL

dleahy4444

Sailing this Sunday on Odyssey and thought I had plenty of time to book excursions. Surprise! A lot of the shore excursions are sold out. We have always felt most comfortable booking excursions through the cruise line but are now considering booking independently. Playa Mia beach park has a website where you can book an excursion to their beach which includes transportation. At the Cozumel cruise port they have a kiosk as well. Any thoughts? If we do book independently should we book online pre-cruise or can we decide the day of, and just walk to the kiosk and hop on next bus? I’m thinking that there should be plenty of availability due to the limited capacity on ships but is that a foolish assumption? Any one with any experience? Thanks!

Before our cruise in 2016 we had booked through a 3rd party site (cozumel water sports) to make reservations.  They coordinated a taxi (paid separate about $36 for round trip) and the overall price was a little cheaper than directly through either Playa Mia or RCI (saved my $20 overall).  In 2018 we had booked directly through RCI when I got a great deal during one of the "excursion sales".  There was no appreciable difference (one was a car and one was a bus) other than when we went in 2016 we were able to have the taxi just take us directly downtown for additional shopping.  I have never done "same day" so can't tell you about that process or price differential...

• Thanks 1

It has been a few years (pre-covid) since we have been there.  I have always booked through Playa Mia directly and found my own transportation there.  I don't know if they have capacity restrictions in Mexico but I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about booking "last minute".

• Thanks 1

dleahy4444,  please take a minute when you get back from your cruise to let us know how this worked for you.  I’ll be on Adventure and in Cozumel on March 26 with 2 grandchildren (10 & 13) and don’t know whether to book through RCCL or through Playa Mia website.  I’d also like to know how you liked Playa Mia, and any tips you might have. Thanks a bunch!