Another Excursion Question - Pompeii with WS

IpswichChris

Anyone taken the WS excursion to Pompeii?  How much time did you end up actually spending at the Pompeii site?  WS website says ride up and back is 1.75 hour each way, and my husband thinks this sounds like much more driving time than it should be.  But maybe the cruise port is just that much farther from Sorrento itself.

The tenders drop you off below the town of Sorrento (there is a shuttle that will take you to the top). I think they leave a little wiggle room for traffic and windy roads. You can also, take the shuttle up the hill, walk through the small town and take the train to Pompeii. Faster and cheaper but more logistics and walking involved.

On my Windstar cruise that offered this excursion, we opted to try and get there ourselves.  Unfortunately, we were unable to because the train schedule didn't work, and we would have returned to the ship too late.  You probably could book a private excursion that could get you back on time.

I have tried to get to Pompeii three times.  The last time was on a land trip.  Took the train and got as far as Naples and had to go back; there was flooding on the tracks and we couldn't get the rest of the way.

Edited by 6rugrats

We've done Pompeii 5 times now. Three times from Naples and twice from Sorrento. From  Sorrento it's a beautiful walk up through Sorrento from the port to the train. Probably 30-45 min walk, some of which is moderately steep uphill. Here's the Circumvesuviana schedule.

https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule

The train leaves from the north in  Naples (30 min ride to Pompeii) or from Sorrento from the south (approx. 10-15min.).

You can meet your guide right outside the gates. Don't forget Herculaneum.  It's possible to do both in one day. I think easily as fascinating as Pompeii.

We did the Windstar excursion to Pompeii. We were taken by van up the hill to the top of Sorrento and then by a bigger bus to Pompeii. Our guide was a lovely woman born and raised in the modern town of Pompeii so she knew her stuff. We had lots of time with her at the site and we got to bypass a lot of the crowds. A memorable day and would highly recommend.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, Sachasmom said:

We did the Windstar excursion to Pompeii. We were taken by van up the hill to the top of Sorrento and then by a bigger bus to Pompeii. Our guide was a lovely woman born and raised in the modern town of Pompeii so she knew her stuff. We had lots of time with her at the site and we got to bypass a lot of the crowds. A memorable day and would highly recommend.

Interesting - sounds good!