Main Dinning Room Tips?

FerretMom

On 2/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, SG65CB said:

The exception was our last cruise we ate at Coastal Kitchen every night and they rotated the waiters so we had different ones each night, four different waiters during the week. I was at a loss what to do, not accustomed to tipping each night and I didn't know they rotated until the second night. Ended up with just auto-gratuities instead of trying to track down each waiter on the last night. I suppose MTD would be similar, no assurance of having the same staff every night. 

One option is to leave the tips in envelopes at guest services. 

19 hours ago, SRF said:

Funny, I always get great and attentive service without tipping above the auto grats.

I never tip until the end of the week, so they don't actually KNOW they're getting the extra tip -- they give the good service regardless. 

When I compare the service I get on the ship with the type of service I get at at typical restaurant on land, I'm MORE than happy giving a bit of extra cash.  That $20-$40 means a ton more to the ship's workers than it does to me, and the service I get on land is nowhere near what I experience on a ship.  

I wouldn't feel any guilt if I didn't leave extra (beyond the auto-grats), just like I don't feel any guilt if I don't leave extra at a restaurant that automatically includes the tip in the bill (I tend to tip 20% or more, but if a restaurant wants to charge 18% automatically, I figure that's what they're happy with).   

But I feel good rewarding the workers who have done so much to make my cruise wonderful. It's extremely rare to have a server or room attendant not deserve that extra bonus.

• Like 3

last year we had a set dining time for the first time in years (no MTD for unvaxxed kids). We gave extra tips to our most wonderful water/asst waiter team at the end of the cruise.

We'll hopefully have MTD on our next cruise, and I am thinking of bringing an envelope with a couple of extra $$ every night in case we receive an exceptional service (like we did on Harmony), but may not get the same table/team again. This way I can tip extra right away at the end of the evening, and not have to chase down the waiter at the end of the cruise. I will, of course, also mention them during the post-cruise survey. I always do.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, FerretMom said:

How much cash do folks usually tip after dinner in the dining room?

I know this is super subjective/personal but I'm looking for some guidelines. I've cruised twice before this, but my late partner was the one who always carried the cash, so I never needed to think about it ( I hate carrying cash lol). 

I'm traveling on Explorer out of San Juan on the 27th. This will be my third cruise, but my first cruise solo.

Thanks!

I prepay all my tips, so I don't tip after dinner, that includes specialty dining also and bar drinks. I never carry cash

On 2/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Auto tips and be done. 

THIS!

I am generally a generous tipper.  25-30% in restaurants on land, used to hand out very generous tips on board.  BUT, if I am somewhere where the tips are automatically added, then that's all there is.

For example, most restaurants in Miami now seem to be automatically adding 18% to the bill.  That means they've done the math, and they're better off having everyone do that, than hoping there are enough good tippers to cancel out the cheapskates.  They've made that choice and I respect it entirely.  No need to do any more, no need to give it any thought whatsoever.

• Like 1