In 2020 when I cancelled a cruise before Princess did, the insurance by Travel Guard was refunded

I do not know if you remember the back and forth we had on this at the time as you said you had never heard of Travel Guard totally refunding a premium. It seems (from what I was told by my TA), the Commissioner of Insurance in NY State has said if you or the cruise line cancels the cruise, the insurance company must refund the premium. I later asked you if any other states had this as a policy. You first said you would try to find out, and then later said you were having a lot of trouble getting this information.

I have since asked my TA who first knew about NY State. His response was that no other state did. I thought I should share this with you.

Edited by ontheweb

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I do not know if you remember the back and forth we had on this at the time as you said you had never heard of Travel Guard totally refunding a premium. It seems (from what I was told by my TA), the Commissioner of Insurance in NY State has said if you or the cruise line cancels the cruise, the insurance company must refund the premium. I later asked you if any other states had this as a policy. You first said you would try to find out, and then later said you were having a lot of trouble getting this information.

I have since asked my TA who first knew about NY State. His response was that no other state did. I thought I should share this with you.

Hi ontheweb,

Yes, I remember you. I hope you are well.

Since then, I have had a few customers who live in NY State that have successfully gotten fast  refunds from their Travel Guard policies. However, others have had more challenging processes getting refunds from other companies and they took a lot longer.

Steve Dasseos

Glad you were able to help others with the information I was able to give you. Interesting that some other companies are not as easy to work with as Travel Guard as they would be just as responsible to obey the rules set forth by NY's Commissioner of Insurance.

I have another question re insurance:

we purchased insurance for a ATW cruise and two weeks into it the itinerary was drastically changed, we were given the option to cut the cruise short and receive part of the cruise fare (prorated for a daily basis) refund. We did take that option.  However, we had paid almost $12,000.00 for a six months cruise which now lasted only five weeks.  We were told that no refund for part of the premium would be given since the cruise had already started, nor would they apply the remaining portion of the premium to a new booking. 

The contract does not specifically address this situation but I would think a compromise would be in order.  Anyone had this type of experience?

33 minutes ago, itinerary said:

I have another question re insurance:

we purchased insurance for a ATW cruise and two weeks into it the itinerary was drastically changed, we were given the option to cut the cruise short and receive part of the cruise fare (prorated for a daily basis) refund. We did take that option.  However, we had paid almost $12,000.00 for a six months cruise which now lasted only five weeks.  We were told that no refund for part of the premium would be given since the cruise had already started, nor would they apply the remaining portion of the premium to a new booking. 

The contract does not specifically address this situation but I would think a compromise would be in order.  Anyone had this type of experience?

Hi itinerary,

Which policy did you have?

Steve Dasseos