Macallan "tasting" - am I missing something?

Tom-n-Cheryl

2 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

cruise kitty, you are not alone! 

As they would say on Islay “Da ordag airson Laphroaig monach”...Slainte!

Two thumbs up for a peaty Laphroaig”...Cheers...

I like Laphroaig a lot. The problem is that no one I know will touch the stuff so I stopped keeping a bottle. So now I keep Balvenie on hand for myself and discerning Scotch drinkers and Johnnie Walker Black for guests or those who want scotch and soda or scotch on the rocks. I don't keep rum or tequila on hand. I keep a bottle of Knob Creek for bourbon drinkers. And I keep a bottle of Gin for Gin and tonics for people who don't want scotch or bourbon, Also some craft beers. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I like Laphroaig a lot. The problem is that no one I know will touch the stuff so I stopped keeping a bottle. So now I keep Balvenie on hand for myself and discerning Scotch drinkers and Johnnie Walker Black for guests or those who want scotch and soda or scotch on the rocks. I don't keep rum or tequila on hand. I keep a bottle of Knob Creek for bourbon drinkers. And I keep a bottle of Gin for Gin and tonics for people who don't want scotch or bourbon, Also some craft beers. 

I do like Laphroaig, but I'd probably rather have a Lagavulin if I'm going to Islay. And you can get Caol Ila again, although it's mostly 12 year old (used to always be 18) but still nice.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I do like Laphroaig, but I'd probably rather have a Lagavulin if I'm going to Islay. And you can get Caol Ila again, although it's mostly 12 year old (used to always be 18) but still nice.

I love Islay malts. Laphroaig is always good and it was the first I tried many years ago. The 10yo is a good value in todays market. I also like Lagavulin but actually prefer the 12yo cask strength to the 16yo. It's great but a little harder to find. I love Caol Ila and have a bottle of the 25yo I need to open up. 

We gave it a try last night, again really having no experience with whisky. 

In order Quest, Lumina, Terra. First neat, then with some drops of water added, then with some cheese and dried fruit. It was interesting - and seemed to burn less as we progressed through the three for some reason (probably just getting used to it). 

The fellow seemed to be learning on the job to some degree - glancing down and reading straight off some paperwork perhaps 25% of the time. I had a hard time picking up on many of the scents and flavors which were suggested, much as is the case with wines. We might pick up a bottle of Terra, just to try a little over time to see if we develop a taste for it (and a skill for tasting those elusive flavors). To some degree, I have regained many segments of my taste/smell since July - but that's another story entirely!

i-bscBF3M-X2.jpg

i-DkGf4t5-X2.jpg

Tom

Thank you for posting this Tom.  I’m down with a sore throat and scotch is the best cough medicine.

My partner likes to put out an appetizer plate with sausage and cheese and what not when I come home.  I usually have it with wine, but sometimes with scotch.

I don’t like the Macallan brand names.  I prefer the old 12, 18, 25 etc.  I would be curious to know more about how they describe each one.

Your post convinces me that even with the flaws, I want to try this for myself.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1