Macallan "tasting" - am I missing something?

Tom-n-Cheryl

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’m in one of the few states that require purchases at a state liquor store.  😭

I feel your pain. 🙁 Same with our state.  So every so often we cross the border to a state with a Total Wine store and generally find a tremendous selection of whisky and whiskey brands and types.

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I feel your pain. 🙁 Same with our state.  So every so often we cross the border to a state with a Total Wine store and generally find a tremendous selection of whisky and whiskey brands and types.

Do you go to New Jersey then?

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How are prices compared to PA?

Lower prices on most common liquors in both NJ and DE.  But we go for the expanded selections.  There is not a PA-equivalent price comparison since our state liquor stores (PA Wine & Spirits) generally do not have what we are looking for.  We can do a special order for some things online at their website.  When we travel to New England we shop at the NH State Liquor Store which is a good example of how a state can have strong selections and low prices.  PA is pretty much the opposite.  We were one of the only states in the country in 2020 that shut down the liquor stores during the early lockdowns- for months.  Then they set up a web site which required a daily lottery to access.  Impossible to get through.  Pretty hard to forgive them for that.  Just when we needed to drink!😄

What a fascinating thread!

I'm not big on Scotch (to give you the background, hubby, a dear friend, and I toured Glenfiddich back in 2009 and df was big on Scotch, so after the tour and the included tasting, he stopped at the "bar" and got a sample of the 25 year old Balvenie, which I have to say was delicious, but not for the price!), but hubby enjoys it on occasion. We do have a bit of OBC to burn on a upcoming cruise and I was actually considering booking the tasting and the Jack Daniels (even though we toured JD way back when), but now I think I'll not.

And for the comment about Laphroaig not getting any love? Hubby and df adore it. To me, it tastes like licking an ashtray. Still, to each his own. And thanks, all, for the informative post!

On 2/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, markeb said:

One of those I should have bought when I was willing to pay the price. It's gone through the roof! Kind of like when I could walk into the local VABC store and buy Pappy...

Now you need an insider at VABC.  Seem to be a few of us from Northern Old Dominion in this group.  

12 hours ago, dateacher said:

Now you need an insider at VABC.  Seem to be a few of us from Northern Old Dominion in this group.  

I need an introduction to that group.  I can't even get Blanton's at my local VABC. 

Fortunately my favorite two day-to-day rums are almost always available. 

23 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I need an introduction to that group.  I can't even get Blanton's at my local VABC. 

Fortunately my favorite two day-to-day rums are almost always available. 

I meant the group on here but if I find a special VABC group, I'll let you know.

3 hours ago, dateacher said:

I meant the group on here but if I find a special VABC group, I'll let you know.

No worries. 

I know there is a group at my local VABC that knows when deliveries are coming in are camp out.  Pretty sure they are on a first name basis with the store employees too. 

i don’t consume enough to go there frequently so I just keep an eye out for certain items when I do go. 

On 2/21/2022 at 1:57 PM, TeeRick said:

Hi

Im interested…..

Coming from the UK I find the idea of state run liquor stores (off-licenses in the UK) in the land of the free market unusual to say the least,,,,,what’s the reason?

Is it a throwback to the days of prohibition.

In the UK we have minimum pricing on alcohol for health reasons but you can buy alcohol almost anywhere.

On offer in my Asda supermarket yesterday was 1lt bottle of Jameson for £24, equivalent to $32 .

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Im interested…..

Coming from the UK I find the idea of state run liquor stores (off-licenses in the UK) in the land of the free market unusual to say the least,,,,,what’s the reason?

Is it a throwback to the days of prohibition.

In the UK we have minimum pricing on alcohol for health reasons but you can buy alcohol almost anywhere.

On offer in my Asda supermarket yesterday was 1lt bottle of Jameson for £24, equivalent to $32 .

Yes definitely a throwback to prohibition.  Our state of PA is pretty backward compared to most others. Not long ago we used to have "Blue Laws" forbidding alcohol sales of any type on Sunday until after 12 noon.  A few short years ago we could only buy beer by the full case at a private beverage distributor.  We had to purchase 6-packs in restaurants and bars!

Now we can purchase beer and wine at supermarkets that have a restaurant seating area.  But only two six packs of beer.   Or 3 liters of wine (4 bottles).    Still need to go to beer distributors for higher quantities of beer like a case.  And  for all spirits and higher quantities of wine we need to purchase from the state liquor store- but no beer there at all!

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes definitely a throwback to prohibition.  Our state of PA is pretty backward compared to most others. Not long ago we used to have "Blue Laws" forbidding alcohol sales of any type on Sunday until after 12 noon.  A few short years ago we could only buy beer by the full case at a private beverage distributor.  We had to purchase 6-packs in restaurants and bars!

Now we can purchase beer and wine at supermarkets that have a restaurant seating area.  But only two six packs of beer.   Or 3 liters of wine (4 bottles).    Still need to go to beer distributors for higher quantities of beer like a case.  And  for all spirits and higher quantities of wine we need to purchase from the state liquor store- but no beer there at all!

Same in NH, so silly.  

On 2/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I see where there's a tasting on the Reflection - something like $40-45. I am not a dark liquor drinker... mainly drinking vodka/rum/beer, or the occasional margarita. A friend of mine goes on about "Macallan". Is this something I should try?

Tom

Don't waste your money.  If you don't like dark liquor you'll be spending $40-$45 for a possibly miserable time.  Also, of all the dark liquors (eg, Bourbon, "aged" rum, "aged" Tequilla usually called Anejo, Tennessee whiskey, Rye, etc.) I think Scotch is the one which is really an acquired taste. Personally, Scotch is my least preferred dark whiskey however I know many people who just love it.  To each his own.

Instead of doing the tasting on the ship go with your friend to a VERY GOOD bar that has a good selection of Scotch and try a couple of different styles and/or brands of top shelf Scotch.  See if you like any of it and if you have a preference for one or the other.  Also, as has been mentioned before, this can get expensive.  It is not hard to spend $100+ for a good bottle of Scotch.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:43 AM, TeeRick said:

Red is pretty much for non-Scotch drinkers who buy it for the JW name.  If I am looking for a drinkable blend, Black does just fine for me.  I have never really understood why Blue is so expensive.  There are a large number of better and less expensive Scotch single malts and aged blends out there (IMO).

Similar to high end tequilas or bourbons. Stay away from the inexpensive varieties. I’ve found many good liquors in the $50-120 range. Much above that is for showing off or impressing someone. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’ve never heard the term “dark liquor”.

I have heard it but really they mean whisky or whiskey. 🙂 

The first time I had scotch I hated it. I believe to become a scotch drinker you have to give it a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have heard it but really they mean whisky or whiskey. 🙂 

The first time I had scotch I hated it. I believe to become a scotch drinker you have to give it a chance. 

I hate tequila but not giving it a chance.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:55 PM, cruise kitty said:

No one ever shows any love for the Laphroaig 😉 

cruise kitty, you are not alone! 

As they would say on Islay “Da ordag airson Laphroaig monach”...Slainte!

Two thumbs up for a peaty Laphroaig”...Cheers...

3 hours ago, stones902 said:

Similar to high end tequilas or bourbons. Stay away from the inexpensive varieties. I’ve found many good liquors in the $50-120 range. Much above that is for showing off or impressing someone. 

Much above that is for showing off or impressing someone. Or perhaps because they simply like it, whether they enjoy it in their home or at a nice bar on board

• Like 1