Birth Certificate Travel question

debnjoe1438

If a married female is traveling with a Birth Certificate and Drivers Licence is a Marrige Certificate needed? Sister in law will be going on her first cruise in a few weeks and has no passport, so will be using Birth Certificate. (She's been married forever, so who knows where a marrige certificate maybe). If anyone could share their experience, it would be appreciated.  Thanks

I think technically it is required, but maybe not always look at? Depending on how far away the cruise it, nowadays it's pretty easy to get a copy of a marriage certificate. Most State agencies allow you to order them online, pay with a credit card, and have them mailed to you. It's usually something like Bureau of Vital Statistics.

6 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I think technically it is required, but maybe not always look at? Depending on how far away the cruise it, nowadays it's pretty easy to get a copy of a marriage certificate. Most State agencies allow you to order them online, pay with a credit card, and have them mailed to you. It's usually something like Bureau of Vital Statistics.

Thanks, I will give her a heads up. 

Birth certificates are available online for most states. CA is $29 and currently take 5-7 weeks for a certified copy. 

Marriage certificates are a bit different, as they are county records. While searching for the county where our marriage was, they offer birth certificates, and marriage certificates. They even have a rush service available for an extra fee. Marriage Certificates are $17. However, you also have to do some identity verification online to be sure who is ordering them. Good luck!

55 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Birth certificates are available online for most states. CA is $29 and currently take 5-7 weeks for a certified copy. 

Marriage certificates are a bit different, as they are county records. While searching for the county where our marriage was, they offer birth certificates, and marriage certificates. They even have a rush service available for an extra fee. Marriage Certificates are $17. However, you also have to do some identity verification online to be sure who is ordering them. Good luck!

Thanks appreciate the information

As someone who has checked-in cruise passengers, I have never asked to see a marriage certificate.  We are trained to verify that the first and middle name and date of birth match up on the birth certificate and the photo ID.  If the check-in agent had any questions, a supervisor would be called.  I would not worry about this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who has checked-in cruise passengers, I have never asked to see a marriage certificate.  We are trained to verify that the first and middle name and date of birth match up on the birth certificate and the photo ID.  If the check-in agent had any questions, a supervisor would be called.  I would not worry about this.

While the cruise line personnel do not routinely check for name changes, it is CBP at the end of the voyage that "recommends" that the "bridging document" of whatever form (marriage, divorce, name change) be on hand.  It is entirely up to the CBP inspector when he sees documents with two different names as to whether he/she wants to see the bridging document.  Their statement is that without the bridging document, it could take longer for them to crosscheck various databases, and it could result in delays and missed flights.

• Like 1

We cruised no less than a dozen times with BC's and I guess we were asked for the marriage license twice by Carnival.  We have also been asked for it two or three times by CPB.  So, it is not asked for every time but I don't know what would have happened if we did not have it available. 

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thank you