Limited Mobility - Is the Venice to Venice Itinerary on the Silver Spirit possible?

nynewfies

My husband is 90 years old.  He broke his back a few years ago and since then he has trouble walking quickly, and walking over long distances.  I am purchasing an ultra light wheelchair so that I can help him keep up with the group when on walking parts of excursions.  I can easily push him on flat and mild uphill slopes, but I could not handle more of an incline than perhaps the average wheelchair ramp.  I'm wondering if anyone who has taken this cruise or is familiar with these locations (Trieste, Opatija, Sibenik, Split, Hvar, Dubrovik) and what kind of terrain we're really talking about.  I know that cobblestones are mentioned, but I'm assuming that I can get him over that surface.  There must be wheelchair bound people living there who have to deal with them, so unless you tell me they are insurmountable I'll think they are one obstacle we can overcome.  Any advice you can give will be most appreciated.

I have been to several of these places, and I think pushing someone in a wheelchair on the streets would be really difficult.  That said, I haven’t looked at the excursions list, but most places they have at least one excursion that is basically a bus tour or goes to a museum or somewhere where using a wheelchair would be feasible.

We are doing one of the two tours Venice to Venice.   I have a problem with my spine and walk with a rollator.  This is a difficult question.   I have discovered that Silversea rarely seem to do what they call level one excursions, the panoramic bus tour ones with little walking and often ban wheelchairs on level two or say unsuitable for those with walking difficulties.  I am afraid I have just booked those anyway.  I found that when on Silver Shadow after Doing that the tour desk made  appointment to discuss this when we got onboard and decided I was generally OK.  Our bottom line has always been that if the going gets too tough we drop out and sit on a form until they come back or meet them at coach.   Our mantra has always been that we must never hold a tour up, and our fallback has always been the thought that if local tours we drop out and get a taxi back.

Whilst this works I must say if things have not improved by June this will be difficult as some places may say we have to travel in a bubble and if this happens we will just stay onboard and enjoy the ship. At least we will be cruising again.

I have only been to Split and Dubrovnik of the places you mention and if you keep to the main areas both accessible.

I do feel for you as I used to be in a wheelchair and have done cruises this way.  I ended up having neurosurgery and now can manage with rollator.  If we come to a few steps bizarrely I can climb them now even better than walking without the rollator so I walk up and my husband although 84 can still carry the collapsed rollator up.  

The person that worries me in this is you.   You do not mention your age or fitness but even in normal circumstances short distances on the flat are hard going.  Early last year my husband had a broken arm and I had to have two lots of treatment with anaesthetic and went to and from hospital in my wheelchair.  my daughter who is 50 had to take me and although neither of us drew attention to the fact we both knew she found it hard going up slopes and pavements.

I am not overly keen on Silversea moving on to included excursions.  Included means you have paid for them in the fare!,!   Which means that by next year fares will have gone up.  Apart from my disability we have never been very keen on excursions and have always , unless in far flung places done only a couple preferring to make our own arrangements, and I am talking now before I was disabled.   If they do this they have to give more thought to at least one excursion at each place being suitable or we will possibly have to revert to Oceania where you can opt for the onboard credit and make your own arrangements.

it sure if this helps but at least we are or have been in a similar situatiom

Mancunian - your reply was extremely helpful!!  I am 67 and in quite good physical condition.  But I do have my limitations, as he outweighs me by 50 lbs.  I completely agree with you in terms of not holding anyone else up!  We experienced some of this on our last cruise and I never want to feel that again.  As much as he doesn't want to admit it, he just can't keep up and we have to be mindful of that in choosing what we do and how we do it.  I do wish Silversea provided more options for people with physical limitations.  There are two ports on this trip that have options that they say are appropriate, but none of the others.  When I spoke to one of their representatives he suggested that we contract for a private car in all the other ports.  That would be a lot less upsetting if we hadn't already paid for excursions in all the ports as part of the fare.  As much as I love Silversea perhaps it is time to look at Oceana or another line.  

If Silversea is handling your pre cruise hotel reservations be very careful they put us in the JW Marriott on an island accessed by water taxi. Very difficult for my physically challenged wife climbing aboard and disembarking them.