Carnival Internet

Nic6318

Hi there

I saw this question asked on the "Covid test threads" but without a response. Hope someone can tell me whit what I need to do. I was planning on doing one of the proctored rapid covid tests for post cruise international travel, and wanted to know if I would be able to do this using the ship's premium internet plan. If it would work, do I need to use a tablet or can it be done with a phone? Would I need to do it before we arrive at port on debarkation day? I thank you in advance for any insight and advise.

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi there

I saw this question asked on the "Covid test threads" but without a response. Hope someone can tell me whit what I need to do. I was planning on doing one of the proctored rapid covid tests for post cruise international travel, and wanted to know if I would be able to do this using the ship's premium internet plan. If it would work, do I need to use a tablet or can it be done with a phone? Would I need to do it before we arrive at port on debarkation day? I thank you in advance for any insight and advise.

In theory, sure. Advertised speeds will accommodate. In practice, IME, not reliable enough to do anything that has a time sensitivity or latency concern. 

6 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

curious what you mean? How did you test from the ship?

I bought my test prior to going on the ship and brought it with me. In Canada we buy from Switch Health PCR RT Lamp test for people who travel 

28 minutes ago, Barb1963 said:

I did my PCR test (canadian traveller which is required) on the Mardi Gras on Friday on the premium internet and had no issues connecting.

Hi Barb.

Did you use a tablet or did you use your phone? Any tips,  or was it pretty straight forward?

thanks for the info

6 minutes ago, Barb1963 said:

I bought my test prior to going on the ship and brought it with me. In Canada we buy from Switch Health PCR RT Lamp test for people who travel 

i'm from Canada too. Does this suffice for crossing back in to Canada? Starting March 1 we only need an antigen test.  So you get the test from switch health, then bring it, then what? is is a rapid test? Do they supervise your test via screen time?  Do they confirm your results?

4 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Barb.

Did you use a tablet or did you use your phone? Any tips,  or was it pretty straight forward?

thanks for the info

The test is made for Android or IPhone phones. It says u can use a tablet but you have to have an internet connection so if can connect to the ships internet with ur tablet you will be good to go. 

One big tip, don't put the batteries in he analyzer until you are actually on the call, this way if it malfunctions the health person sees it and puts the email in for the refund

Edited by Barb1963
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

i'm from Canada too. Does this suffice for crossing back in to Canada? Starting March 1 we only need an antigen test.  So you get the test from switch health, then bring it, then what? is is a rapid test? Do they supervise your test via screen time?  Do they confirm your results?

As I needed the PCR test I have no idea about the Antigen test. Yes the RT Lamp test is suffice for flying back to Canada.

My total test took less then 45 mins from start to finish. They watch you swab, you put on a 30 min timer,  once you see the result , you take a picture,  upload to your account and then they email you the official results

Going forward I will just get the Antigen test at the airport so less things to pack and results are quick and easy

Edited by Barb1963

10 minutes ago, Barb1963 said:

As I needed the PCR test I have no idea about the Antigen test. Yes the RT Lamp test is suffice for flying back to Canada.

My total test took less then 45 mins from start to finish. They watch you swab, you put on a 30 min timer,  once you see the result , you take a picture,  upload to your account and then they email you the official results

Going forward I will just get the Antigen test at the airport so less things to pack and results are quick and easy

That's helpful. Thank you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi there

It’s worth mentioning that not all carnival ships have equal internet. If you’re on Vista, Horizon, Panorama, or Mardi Gras, I think you’ll be fine. If you’re on an older ship you may not be able to stream video even on premium.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

It’s worth mentioning that not all carnival ships have equal internet. If you’re on Vista, Horizon, Panorama, or Mardi Gras, I think you’ll be fine. If you’re on an older ship you may not be able to stream video even on premium.

Hi Saint Greg

I will be on the Magic. Is that considered an "older" ship. We will only need a "rapid test", so not as long to process. 

I was also wondering about if the internet would work "better",  or not when we are docked in Florida the final morning before debarkation.

Edited by Nic6318

19 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Saint Greg

I will be on the Magic. Is that considered an "older" ship. We will only need a "rapid test", so not as long to process. 

I was also wondering about if the internet would work "better",  or not when we are docked in Florida the final morning before debarkation.

Yeah from my experience that could be a problem for you if they haven’t improved the Magic internet since Covid. Let me show you a Magic and Panorama speed test comparison three months apart.

These are Magic

4753FCA6-E385-49D9-AEA5-9A5E319369F7.thumb.jpeg.d198cc5239194c67da26df2599fb56a0.jpeg935D91A7-DA76-4976-95E7-4B1868D73512.thumb.jpeg.1f719e028b17506f99c6691947efb45a.jpeg

This is Panorama

47C49979-9411-4432-ADBA-A540384F1D13.thumb.jpeg.f1965bd5576e0d5d9692b364743bce6d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information Saint Greg. 

Either way, I guess I will book a timeslot for testing at the airport as a backup plan. 

Who knows, I might get lucky. 😀

Also, another thought , once in port while still on the ship, would I be able to use regular data plan internet from my cell phone provider?

• Like 1

Yes, in the Florida port, you should be able to use your regular data plan on your cell phone ,and even create a hotspot if you needed to. If your cellular plan covers Mexico, I have also been able to do so in the ports  in Mexico. ATT allows you to purchase coverage in a foreign country for $10 per day. 

59 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Also, another thought , once in port while still on the ship, would I be able to use regular data plan internet from my cell phone provider?

Yes but probably not in your room...maybe if you have a balcony. See if you get a signal in there on embarkation day. I don't but I book interior rooms.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1