Can You Take Your Bags Off A Ship A Day Early?

sfvoyager

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but our last port is an overnight stay. Can you avoid the rush by removing bags a day early?

We are arriving to Venice with an overnight stay before final disembarkation.

I don't know the specific answer but I would seriously doubt you could just walk off with your luggage unless you've pre-arranged to go through Italian Customs. I've seen people getting off a cruise in ports with luggage but assumed it was pre-arranged with the cruiseline or a medical emergency.

I don't know the specific answer but I would seriously doubt you could just walk off with your luggage unless you've pre-arranged to go through Italian Customs.
Whether or not there's any need to clear customs at all depends on the itinerary. Many European cruise itineraries are entirely within the EU, so should be "domestic" for both immigration and customs purposes.

Yes, you can do this if you make arrangements ahead of time with the cruise line. Call Princess before you sail and you will have to write a letter letting them know you wil be leaving early. They will tell you where to send the letter when you call them. You will get a letter back saying permission has been granted. You must go with your luggage. Is that what you are asking or do you want to stay on the ship and have just the luggage leave?

I don't understand why you'd have to leave if your luggage has. Say you have a relative in Venice and are staying there after the cruise is over. So you take your stuff there on that first day in Venice, so you won't have to worry about it the next day. I can't see why that would be a problem. I would check on whether there is a customs inspection requirement for this, but I can't see why you couldn't drop your luggage wherever, and come back to the ship for the final night.

DanJ:

Perhaps your concern is not a problem. After you call Princess, let us know what they said. You will need to talk with them regardless, since early removal of your luggage requires their approval in advance. Security may not be in place to accept people wanting to re-board. Their call.

Archived