Packing - Do You Roll Up Your Clothes?

DonLou

I've read somewhere that there are two advantages if you roll up your clothes before you put them into your suitcase.

1.) It packs better.

2.) The clothes are less wrinkled.

Has anyone done this? I just don't want to be surprised when I open up the suitcase and have to say to my wife, "Oh well, I guess that didn't work. Time for you to start ironing.":o

And if you do roll up the clothes, how do you do it. Do you fold it first then roll it or do you lay it flat and then roll?

I carry the kitchen sink so need lots of space and swear by rolling:

1) Fold pants and shorts in half lengthwise, roll from waistband down.

2) Fold arms of tops in, then roll, but if bulky will fold in half first.

3) Line up equal sized rolls in bag, layer with more rows of rolls, don't mash them in or place lots of heavy stuff on top.

ALWAYS use either drycleaning bags or tissue on top of garment before you roll.

Take Febreeze, give a gentle squirt after unrolling, hang, and only some of the 100% cotton/linen devils may need a press!

Have'nt tried the bags you suck the air out of - anyone have a comment on that???

We always roll our close. Depending on the size, I may lay several shirts on top of each other folded in half and roll them together (maybe 3 or 4). We pack our shoes on the bottom, them put a layer of something on top. I usually put our backpacks and beach bags, then put the rolled up clothes. You can pack alot more in when they are rolled and yes, to do not get wrinkled.

I've wondered about the bags you suck the air out of. They look like they would work great on the way there, but how do you get everything back in your suitcase without using a vaccuum to suck the air out?

I use the bags (that you suck the air out of) but the ones that i use (from target in the luggage department) are like huge zip lock baggies, you just push the air out, i usually have my husband sit on them that really gets all the air out and zip shut. they are great at the end of the cruise, I put all of the dirty laundry in the bag, roll out the air, put it in the suitcase and have more room than we started with. they are a have to have now on every vacation.

Thanks to all for the feedback, particularly biensur for the detailed tips. My wife and I will be on the road (and sea) for about a month, so we sorely need to keep our packing "efficient". I'll have to experiment a little bit to see how good of a "roller" I can get to be.

Tangerinebunny: What are Eagle Creek folders?

I laugh bc I thought he was the only idiot that did this!? Well atleast I thought he was an idiot back then. My husband told me to do this years ago for our first cruise and I thought he had lost his mind!!! But I have to tell you it saves so much space in the suitcase and it comes out wrinkle free! I swear! I pack the kids over night this way and fit everything for a weekend trip away in a bookbag!

I think once you try this and see that is works, you will never stop.

PS- Just incase I need to, I always pack a spray bottle for water to get those wrinkles that might happen. I hang garment and then spray lightly and then use the hair dryer to dry while I am straightening with hand. Bottle can always be used for the pool and beach area to spritz yourself with water so you don't have to get wet in pool!;)

...My husband told me to do this years ago for our first cruise and I thought he had lost his mind!!!

Thanks cruizinrican! You don't know how glad I am to hear this.

My greatest fear is to take one of my wife's blouses, roll it up and then try to explain to her how it won't come out wrinkled! It seem so counter to common sense. I was trying to figure out how to get her into a good mood (and keep heavy objects out of her reach) before I did this . I'll just show her your post instead!:);)

I have been rolling for a while. It's very effective for reducing bulk and works well overall for avoiding wrinkles. I also pack EVERYTHING in Ziplocks. It's great for further reducing bulk (put rolled clothes into big Ziplock, seal bag leaving an inch opening, roll the bag from the closed end so you push most of the air out and once it's rolled to the 'zipper', sealed the last inch!).

Don't forget to utilize all the spaces in your belongings. For example, you can easily fit at least 2 pairs of socks into each shoe. If I pack a small evening bag, I gently stuff it with underwears, shawls, swimwear, etc. Breakables can also be stuffed into shoes/purses. This will not only cushion fragile items, also help the shoes & purse from being squished out of shape.

Keep in mind that Airport securuty can and WILL go through your luggage, and I know from expierence that they do not repack as dilligently as you.

I really do not know what it is that makes them decide what luggage to look in, however the one time they "rearainged" mine was when I used the "socks in the shoe" trick. For sure, they were not in my shoes when I oppened the bag, not to mention the rest of the mess.

Again... do not know what triggers them, but just expect it.:D

PS. We always take one of the small portable steamers with us. Works great to get the wrinkles out.;)

Do you think your steamer might be what they were checking? On our last trip to Paris one of my suitcases was opened and searched each time - it had the voltage converter in it.

Can't say for sure as it was two years ago, but dont think it was the steamer, as I recall, I think my wife had it in her luggage... which they did not search.

Usually all the "strange" stuff, I try to put in my carry on. At least that way if they search I will know it, and will have opportunity to re-arrainge.

Anyway... who knows. I have no problem at all with the search... carry on or checked, as I would rather put up with a few wrinkles than the possible "Alternative". (9/11) :(

:)

I also roll our clothes. After a day or two on a hanger on a cruise the wrinkles come out. But there are very few. Another good use for the shoes(whichI pack on the bottom of the suitcase) is to pack small bottles of wine or other beverages. On the return trip you can pack small breakable items there.After I roll everything and stick all the small stuff inbetween the rolls I put the pants and skirts and even dresses by laying them across the suitcase long ways and put the waist band of a pair of pants even with the suitcase and the legs hanging out then the next pair go the opposite way and after putting the long pants or dresses this way I pit in the shorts and then I fold all the "hanging out clothes" over to the center from both ends. This way the wrinkles are lessened.

Hope this helps.

I haven't tried the rolling of clothes, guess I'm just to afraid of what I might get! I have always ironed everything and then carfully fold, the way they do on store shelves. My son (unmarried) brings me his clothes everytime he takes a trip so that I can iron and fold for him. Most of the time my clothes come out looking great. I do carry a portable steamer, but don't use it much. I hate wrinkles, and I am very picky about the way I dress, and the folding works for me. I do use ziplock bags because I don't like the airport security going through my things. I will pack at least all of the undies in them. My dresses and my husband suit go into a garmet bag. I hate carrying it, but it does a great job in keeping things neat. The last cruise I didn't have to iron anything. But I will say that I take dresses that travel well.

Good luck with your packing - and have a great cruise!! ;)

• 2 years later...

I say roll em, pack em in plastic bags, just do what you can. But if they come out wrinkled, don't worry, you are on vacation. Have someone else do the work for you. Use the ships laundry service to press your clothes. Its not that expensive and a lot less work and worry. As I unpack I keep what looks good and send the rest out.

I am a long time clothes roller but a few days ago I picked up a book that's all about how to pack for trips. It is called the packing book by Judith Gilford. It's $10 at Amazon or $3 at Goodwill :D

In it they go into great detail about how to place clothing into a rolling carry-on type cuitcase. You basically lay a piece of clothing into the case with the shirt arms or pant leg or whatever laying outside the sides of your suitcase. when all clothing items are laying on top of the suitcase you place your socks, undergarments, etc on top of that. At this point you start folding each individial item starting with what's on top until everything is folded and neat. In this book it mentioned that using plastic bags or dry cleaner's bags make items shift=wrinkles. I am going to try packing my things this way when I cruise 2 weeks from now.

I've read somewhere that there are two advantages if you roll up your clothes before you put them into your suitcase.

1.) It packs better.

2.) The clothes are less wrinkled.

Has anyone done this? I just don't want to be surprised when I open up the suitcase and have to say to my wife, "Oh well, I guess that didn't work. Time for you to start ironing.":o

And if you do roll up the clothes, how do you do it. Do you fold it first then roll it or do you lay it flat and then roll?

Yes I agree

Bob

• 4 months later...

I use the rolling method with the large zip bags. Also I cross pack with my wife in the two big bags just in case one gets lost. I will have half my clothes I can clean on the ship if things go bad.

Also do not think your bags are secure if you lock them, even a non TSA lock. All you need is a ball point pen to punch the zippper open, slide your hand either way to open the bag. Then when you are done, run the zipper back and forth to seal back up. I saw a video of this and it makes me feel my bags have never been secure, locks or not.

Good Luck

In general, I never travel with linen and usually not any woven fabric that needs ironed unless absolutely necessary. I love knits! I'm a roller, I think it saves space. It is important to unpack asap and let those wrinkels hand out on their own.

My parents don't roll, instead they save all the plastic bags that the dry cleaning comes in each week and put the plastic between all their ironed clothes. The really think this prevents wrinkles. I think it allows the clothes to slide around, takes up TONS of space in the luggage and adds weight. Sure, one bag may not weight much but they are putting 25-50 bags in each suitcase, um yes, that IS going to add weight! I guess if you have lots of woven fabrics, it might be worth a try. But personally I think it is easier to travel with knits and avoid ironing whenever possible.

I have been rolling clothes for years. As well as cruises we take several motorcycle trips. When we do this I have ONE sadlebag I get to fill. I have to be very creative. I take a pair of jeans layed flat on the bed, put a shirt folded in half longways on top of that, a pair of socks, pair of undies and roll it up. This way I have one outfit in one roll. I for sure think it helps with the wrinkles but this time I am going to try the tissue paper and see if that helps even more.

Archived