Packing - Do You Roll Up Your Clothes?

DonLou

We are rollers also, and it works great. For any of those extra wrinkles that won't get out just by hanging I spray the downy wrinkle spray on them and it works great...it will take anything out, and they have it in travel size at our target. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Try buying a set of luggage cubes, you can usually pick up a set of 3 for about $35.00. You can use the roll or fold method and your clothes come out virtually wrinkle free and talk about being able to organize.......I purchased my first set when I did one of those multiple stop vacations.....EBAGS sells them.

Try buying a set of luggage cubes, you can usually pick up a set of 3 for about $35.00. You can use the roll or fold method and your clothes come out virtually wrinkle free and talk about being able to organize.......I purchased my first set when I did one of those multiple stop vacations.....EBAGS sells them.

I'm packing tonight in my packing cubes(first trip with them) I think theyre a huge blessing since I'm ALWAYS the one who has her checked luggage "randomly" checked, both there AND back. And I dont pack anything random either, just clothes, shoes, makeup :S

Plus I'm gonna fit all my packing cubes into my checked baggage, then take out the ones that I want in my carry on, stuff the extra space with newspaper or something I can throw out while on board.

When leaving I will put all of my cubes back in my checked luggage and have my ENTIRE carry on for stuff that I buy while on the ship:D

PS- Just incase I need to, I always pack a spray bottle for water to get those wrinkles that might happen. I hang garment and then spray lightly and then use the hair dryer to dry while I am straightening with hand. Bottle can always be used for the pool and beach area to spritz yourself with water so you don't have to get wet in pool!;)

Cruisinrican,

I love this idea! What a great way to remove wrinkles! Also the idea of a child's clothes for a weekend fitting in a bookbag is amazing.

I have always used the space bags, but I will have to try this.

• 2 weeks later...

Big fan of rolling and placing in cubes. You'll never prevent all wrinkles, but there certainly won't be more wrinkles than folding and usually less. Also, you'll fit a lot more in the suitcase. With the cubes, you can tightly pack rolled clothes of a certain type together and this will usually prevent problems with TSA taking stuff out and putting it back because the clothes still stay tightly rolled and together.

Contrary to another poster, I have very good luck rolling dresses and skirts, unless they have pleats. Pleated skirts/dresses get all messed up in the roll. They don't make it through folding all that well either, but the roll is worse.

my mother who is a veteran cruiser always rolls her clothes and puts them in stockings so they look like big fat sausages. She swears that everything comes out uncreased and ready to wear. And if you use laddered stockings it makes it easier to see and find things. And it always entertains the customs blokes when they open the case!!

Zinni

Hey SunWanted! Thanks for the link to the bundle method...looks like a way I may experiment with. I got the rolling tip from a missionary during a missions trip to Nicaragua a few years ago and have been doing that since. The rolling method works pretty good too....I usually have lots of space that way with very few wrinkles.

I have rolled my clothes in the past, but I am not completely sold on the idea. I continue to fold but just 1 time for each item (if necessary). Everything lie flat and I've found you can place more items in your suitcase when it's not as bulky as the rolled item. Certain fabrics will wrinkle regardless of your packing method though.

We plan on taking one carry-on & one checked bag each. (We're flying AirTran, which so far isn't charging for the first checked bag, so we have that luxury.)

I can't decide whether to do the roll thing or the fold/bundle thing. I may try a combo of both. Maybe one bag w/all the roll-able items (both husband's & mine) like underwear, swimsuits, shorts, t-shirts, plus shoes, cosmetics, etc., and another bag with the bundle-able stuff, like his sports shorts, suit, my dresses. I think that could work.

Believe it or not I LOVE these things :D . You can fit soo much into these little things and keep everything looking neat. I usually carry one week worth of work clothing in a carry on when traveling for business. My other fellow travelers generally have to check their luggage for one week of clothes.

You can go to Bed Bath Beyond, or Target, get a space bag (try it to see if you like it first), fit a bunch of clothes, then start pushing the airout. I like to leave a little bit of space at the side where the air comes out, so i maxmize the compression.

Warning though, your suitcase will be tons heavier since you are putting more clothes in the same space. Just an FYI so you don't throw your back out when putting this in the over head bin.

P.S... these are great for home stuff too. :)

A great suggestion for all you (and us) shoppers. Take a couple of supermarket plastic bags, stuff them with crumpled newspaper and tie them shut.

Force yourself to pack them and when you are on the trip, throw them out and then you will have space for what you bought. (It's tough to do but it really works and saves screams at the final packing to go home.)

I don't know how TSA looks at them but we have had our bags opened several times and no problems. You know if your bags have been opened as there is a flyer inside telling you so.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been known to pack a case and then put it inside another - UK airports frown on this though as it throws out in security and they open it

However back to the original question. I roll the bottoms and then leave all the tops on hangers and fold in half with all the hangers together.

This way you can unzip, grab the hangers and hang straight up - quick and easy but not good for space saving

We often pack too much anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I roll my clothes, definitely keeps wrinkles to a minimum!

For the kids, I take large zip lock baggies and pack an entire outfit (top, bottoms, undies, hair accessories, etc) in it. This is a HUGE help when they need to get dressed, they can always find everything quickly.

On the way back, I empty the largest suitcase and put everybody's dirty clothes in it. When I get home it gets wheeled straight into the laundry room.

• 1 month later...

too all who tried the packing light method (not the rolling) how did it go? interesting style to try. we can only fit 2 of largest suitcases and the 2 next size down in the car. we need to get clothes to fit. and how do you get all the dirty home? refold them?

Archived