Canadian travel/cruise insurance

disneygal77

Hi,Ā 

Has anyone had good luck getting insurance in Canada to cruise since some travel restrictions are being lifted for March onwards.Ā 
Ā 

A CAA representative at the store today told me that cruises are still level 4 in risk but that we could get emergency Medical for our March break cruise but no trip interruption or covid coverage if anyone in our group happens to test positive on the rapid test needed to fly back to Canada from Florida. Ā  I realize we can just quarantine if need be at our own expense after the cruise if we canā€™t fly home. Ā 
Ā 

Thanks for any help you might be able to share.Ā 

21 hours ago, disneygal77 said:

Hi,Ā 

Has anyone had good luck getting insurance in Canada to cruise since some travel restrictions are being lifted for March onwards.Ā 
Ā 

A CAA representative at the store today told me that cruises are still level 4 in risk but that we could get emergency Medical for our March break cruise but no trip interruption or covid coverage if anyone in our group happens to test positive on the rapid test needed to fly back to Canada from Florida. Ā  I realize we can just quarantine if need be at our own expense after the cruise if we canā€™t fly home. Ā 
Ā 

Thanks for any help you might be able to share.Ā 

Insurance has been available for emergency medical for many months, including as related to covid. The change in levels of travel to allow non-essential travel means that the insurance industry in Canada has to convene and re-set the costs and coverage for trip interruption. Ā I donā€™t think thatā€™s going to happen overnight.Ā 

• Like 1

I just bought emergency medical coverage that includes Covid -19 expenses through Manulife.Ā  Got a great rate of only $152.40 for 20 days which includes a couple nights in Fort Lauderdale, a 14 night cruise to Spain, a couple nights in Barcelona (and it also includes my travel days).Ā  I usually get emergency medical insurance but I have recently read that Canadians are going to be required to have Covid insurance for any international travel, so bought coverage that states it covers Covid expenses.

Ā 

If Canada changes restrictions and this type of policy is not required, I can cancel it, get a refund and re-apply for regular emergency insurance.Ā  My travels don't start until April 18 so will see how things are by then.

Ā 

https://www.coverme.com/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians/covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan.html?province=ON&agecode=0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did some comparison quotes for DH and I because we have several trips already booked this year including an Alaska cruise in June and a resort stay in Mexico for 2 weeks. No pre-existing conditions and I already have medical emergency travel coverage through work, so we really only need the COVID coverage if by chance one of us tests positive and has to quarantine for 10 days before getting home.Ā 

Ā 

Global Allianze ~ $500 per trip, covers both of us (ouch!!)

CAA ~ $350 per trip or $1050 for 1 year of complete coverage for both of us

Manulife ~ $110 per trip or $700 for 1 year of complete coverage for both of us

Ā 

Looking at the coverage options, Manulife's COVID cancellation and trip interruption policy will be perfect for us. Impossible for us to get 6 or more trips within a year (barring Lotto win!!), so we decided on the per trip version. I'm also hopeful the testing/quarantine requirements will change by the time our next trip is scheduled!Ā Ā 

Ā 

20 hours ago, dawnvip said:

I did some comparison quotes for DH and I because we have several trips already booked this year including an Alaska cruise in June and a resort stay in Mexico for 2 weeks. No pre-existing conditions and I already have medical emergency travel coverage through work, so we really only need the COVID coverage if by chance one of us tests positive and has to quarantine for 10 days before getting home.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Looking at the coverage options, Manulife's COVID cancellation and trip interruption policy will be perfect for us. Impossible for us to get 6 or more trips within a year (barring Lotto win!!), so we decided on the per trip version. I'm also hopeful the testing/quarantine requirements will change by the time our next trip is scheduled!Ā Ā 

Ā 

Are you sure the Manulife cancellation and trip interruption insurance covers Covid? I talked to a Manulife representative and was told only their specific Covid insurance which includes health and trip interruption, but not cancel covers any Covid related issues.Ā 
Ā 

I too have travel medical coverage that will cover Covid, but can not find a cancellation policy that will cover for Covid related issues other than through Tugo which has an all inclusive (and expensive) policy available to Canadians.

@mackfamĀ you are correct the policy does not include trip cancellation insurance, only interruption. Sorry about the confusion!

I'm not sure if there is any reasonable priced insurance that covers both cancellation and trip interruption.

On 2/27/2022 at 4:41 PM, dawnvip said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

just to clarify, those numbers are for medical insurance, not cancellation?

Probably a silly question....

I read that the Manulife Covid trip interruption insurance will cover for quarantine expenses, but if i test positive at the end of my cruise and have to remain states side for 11 additional days, will the insurance automatically be extended to cover the 11 days beyond my original return date for the quarantine?Ā  Or do i have to include the 11 days in my return date on the initial application just in case i have to stay?Ā 

4 minutes ago, Labber 2 said:

Probably a silly question....

I read that the Manulife Covid trip interruption insurance will cover for quarantine expenses, but if i test positive at the end of my cruise and have to remain states side for 11 additional days, will the insurance automatically be extended to cover the 11 days beyond my original return date for the quarantine?Ā  Or do i have to include the 11 days in my return date on the initial application just in case i have to stay?Ā 

It extends. I just bought the insurance and it says this in the document. I believe it automatically extends to 72 hours past when quarantine ends but Iā€™d have to double check. Ā I had it up on my computer and Iā€™m on my phone now.Ā 
Ā 

ETA - just Ā checked. ā€œā€¢ you have been advised by a medical professional to self-isolate
or quarantine as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19), beyond your expiry date. In this case, we will extend your policy coverage for the duration of your quarantine and up to seventy-two (72) hours following the end date of your quarantine period.ā€

Edited by 1kaper
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, one more question about Manulife covid interruption insurance. It asks where am I heading?, The cruise starts in LA and goes to Mexico, then returns to LA. Do I pick my destination as USA or international since I will also be outside of the USA.Ā 

1 minute ago, Labber 2 said:

I'm sorry, one more question about Manulife covid interruption insurance. It asks where am I heading?, The cruise starts in LA and goes to Mexico, then returns to LA. Do I pick my destination as USA or international since I will also be outside of the USA.Ā 

I chose international. I am leaving from Us and going to Caribbean.Ā 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Labber 2 said:

International. As a Canadian, even going to the US constitutes international travel.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

International. As a Canadian, even going to the US constitutes international travel.

To be fair, it does ask to chose travel to Canada, US or International when searching for coverage as a Canadian.Ā 
i do agree US is international but they seem to be making a distinction in the questionnaire.Ā 

Just now, 1kaper said:

To be fair, it does ask to chose travel to Canada, US or International when searching for coverage as a Canadian.Ā 
i do agree US is international but they seem to be making a distinction in the questionnaire.Ā 

Ah, thanks, that explains it!Ā Ā