Returned from the 12nt Antarctic Circle Cruise

commodore2010

Overall we both thought the cruise was fantastic. Yes there were some issues, but considering we travelled in the midst of a pandemic they were not really a big deal.

SHIP

The ship is perfect for a luxury Antarctic Expedition ship. It is a well thought out ship design.  The observation lounge is perfect for a panoramic view of all the sights.  We had a Horizon Deluxe room. We liked the electric window that you could put up and down. Not really needed for Antarctica, but thought this was a nice feature for other destinations.  The bathroom shower was excellent for a stateroom. A rain shower from the top, 3 side sprayers and a hand held sprayer.  Also plenty of room in the shower with a small seat at the rear.  The bed could be a little softer though. Maybe a pillow top needs to be added. 

CREW

The crew on this ship was excellent. Being a Regent regular, this crew was on par with any I have sailed with from Regent.  They were always there with a smile and willing to help with any request. Our steward was also one of the best we have ever had.

FOOD

Food is subjective.  Since this was an Antarctic Expedition, there was only the indoor dining available. They had a different menu every night and there were also standards that you could order like steak, etc. They chose a different cuisine each night. We both thought the food was well prepared and presented. There was some excellent dishes. Overall, we both thought the food was good to very good. 

EXPEDITION STAFF

We both thought that they were great. The staff has experts on history, birds, geography, etc.   They bring a knowledge and perspective of Antarctica that was interesting and fun.  Each land excursion was good. We missed a couple due to wind, seas, etc.  It happens on these type of trips. I think we did a total of 6 including one zodiac ride around.   

Antarctica is an amazing destination and its feels almost like you are on a different planet.  If you are considering Antarctica, we both encourage you to go.  

We are both very happy that we chose Atlas for our Antarctic cruise. 

• Like 2

Good write up.  I would rate the expedition team, officers, bridge, and cabin stewards as superior.  They really make Atlas shine and without them, this would be just another cruise with good staff, albeit on a gorgeous ship in a gorgeous locale.  I, too, am very happy that I went on the Jan. 15 voyage and would do it again.  However, Atlas leadership has a very long way to go in representing the brand as well as crew on board the World Navigator did. 

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, BigNance said:

Did Atlas make a point to cross the Antarctic Circle and go ashore there?

We are considering an Antarctic cruise and think that would be an important point.

Thanks!

Nance

Most cruise lines celebrate the crossing of the equator, Arctic Circle, or Antarctic Circle. I recently crossed the Arctic Circle on a Windstar ship and received a "blue nose". I imagine that AOV celebrates crossing the Antarctic Circle with a "red nose" ceremony. I will be on the January 4th cruise that crosses so I will see.