First X Cruise: Please help!

vjw1218

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith - March 30 through April 3 to Key West and Cozumel. (We have cruised HAL in the past)

We have a few questions. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Since it's a 4-night cruise, will there be a formal night? An informal night?

What is there to do in Cozumel? Was there much hurricane damage?

Do you have to pay for ice cream?

Any features not available on Zenith that are available on other X ships? (T'pool, Persian Spa, etc.)

Any other thoughts or tips you can provide would be great!

What is there to do in Cozumel? Was there much hurricane damage?

I don't know much about Celebrity (our first X cruise is coming up in May), but I've been to Cozumel lots of times. The montra on many cruise ships is: "Cozumel is diamond day". If you're looking for diamonds there are usually good deals to be had there. Also, most of the stores will give you a free drink or two of some great tequilla.

You can also pick up some T-shirts that change color in the sun, or a bunch of onyx chess sets animals, or Mexican percussion instruments.

The beer is also really nice.

We went on a catamaran trip a few times when there on the Cozumel Fury and it was a blast (snorkeling, great sites to see, etc.) Highly recommended.

You can get a cab to downtown for $6. Many times the cruise ships have one way free tickets you can get from the shopping director.

My kids went on a Snuba (scuba for wimps) and they absolutely love it.

The people there are wonderful and are very willing to help you any way they can.

I think you'll have a blast.

BTW, I think there is one formal night on a 4 night cruise. I love formal nights. There are hardly any places in California that we can go to dressed up. I guess we *could* but even the fancy restaurants in CA have people in grubby clothes so they just look at you weird if you dress up. The very few that require dress up are way beyond my budget. So, we love to get all dressed up on cruises. I usually rent a tux and my wife wears a great dress. Formal nights are one our favorite parts about cruising. We can wear T-shirts to dinner any time.

The sunsets in Cozumel are good as well. Try not to miss that.

Tom

There is an excellent restaurant in downtown Cozumel called Casa David which is just behind the main square on the right hand side about 1/2 block up the street. It's a family run restaurant which has been there a long time and has excellent food and very cold beer.

Thank you for your replies; however Celebrity's site only gives dining attire schedules for 5 nights and above. Nothing is listed for our 4-night cruise.

Also, what shore excursions do you recommend in Cozumel? Are there things to do other than booking through the cruise line? Hints?

Paradise Beach and Playa Mia are lovely beach resorts. Paradise you can do on your own - Playa Mia too but they have several levels of excursions through the ship that will provide you transportation to and from which will offset the cabfare. Just don't pick the one with the buffet - the food was blah but the food off the menu looked good. Tendering will take awhile - they are using ferries and doing the best they can. You will see construction and devastation but you will smiles on all the faces. It's a lovely place.

I also like Paradise Beach, just a short taxi ride from the pier. If you like massages you can get a good one right on the beach for around a dollar a minute.

Sorry to tell you Zenith doesn't have a T pool or Persian Gardens

Terri

Hi, just returned from Zenith about 10 days ago. She is small and doesn't

have the bells and whistles of the newer, M-Class ships.

But I had a fantastic time and the service was outstanding:)

The Martini Bar is small and intimate. The Fleet Bar is a hidden gem

with a beautiful view.

I am even thinking about sailing her again in April.;)

Hope you have a wonderful time:)

Yes, Zenith is different from all the other X ships because she is the oldest, built before the more modern ships with more pluses. it has no balconies, even in suites, has no persian gardens, thalossotherapy pool or aqua spa, or alternative restaurant, nor towering atrium, or two level dining room. That having been said, some people love her, have sailed her since the beginning and find the service to be the best of all the ships. And she is smaller, so can dock where some ships can't, like in Bermuda at St George and Hamilton. And the biggie, she is the least expensive because she lacks the modern edge. More bang for the buck if you can do without the extras.

But she does have a martini bar, theater, pizza and pasta, room service, cova cafe etc. like the other, larger ships. Specialty coffees are not free, but ice cream is. Ice cream is served at the buffet.

I am not traveling on her until November and it will be an interesting change for me. I've booked a cabin adjacent to one of the aft decks so I can zip out into the air, and up a deck by outdoor staircase to the lido. Those are either concierge class cabins on deck 9 or cat 4? on deck 8. Some people say the best cabins are the obstructed cat 8 right down from the aft outdoor deck.

There should be one formal night. Cozumel is wonderful for snorkeling, but I'm not sure about that after last year's hurricanes. Cozumel and Cancun both got SLAMMED by Wilma. She was a category 5 for almost a day when she was in that area. I understand that the pier is destroyed as are several of the hotels. BUT the water is still beautiful, and the fish didn't get snatched up in the storm! It should still be beautiful.. Have a great time.

Yes, the hurricane did massive damage. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The island has bounced back dramtically!!

Snorkeling: Eagleraydivers.com

Cozumel sits just off the Pelicar Reef, third largest coral reef in the world, famous for its snorkeling and scuba.

Shopping: Looks like St Thomas, but without the attitude.

Bars: Carlos N Charlies, reopened, need I say more?

This is for the couple doing the first Celebrity, Four night, Zenith.

Zenith is an older ship which as far as I know is still in need of a "face lift"

Celebrity it a lovely line. If you usually do HAL then you will like the entertainment. Food on HAL is excellent so that may be a disappointment.

Do you use a travel agent? If so, your agent will prove valuable for any concerns or questions which you have re: formal nights, semi formal and casual as well as any other concerns.

I wouldn't travel without my agents expertise!!!!!

Enjoy:cool:

We are going on the March 30th too. This is not our first cruise on X, but is our first on Zenith. We've been on Century a couple of times and also on Summit. It's been a while since we've taken a X cruise, but are really really excited about going again. Even with all the other lines we've gone on, you just can't beat Celebrity in our opinion. I'm looking forward to another x cruise, even if it is only for 4 nights. Hey a 4 nighter is better than none at all.

We're on the 30th cruise too! Right now we're planning on going to Paradise Beach (we were there 10/05) then to shop. Key West will be shopping and key lime pie! Highly recommend PB if you want a relaxing day.

burnsie

Hi...saw that there was some talk of Paradise Beach in Cozumel on this thread, and wanted to chime in that my wife and I had a really nice time there last January as well. Not the biggest beach in the world, but very nice, with great chairside service and a covered tiki bar right there. For a simple, relaxing, casual afternoon at the beach, this is a great place to go. About a 20-minute cab ride as I recall.

Aside from the piers in Cozumel everything is back to normal. My favorite beach is Passion Island. It is a tour listed as Passion Island Escape. They serve lunch and have an open bar. Ask for George he is the best tour guide.

Archived