Covid recovery time

uktog

This is a hypothetical question.  

We are actually hiding from people already.  We are due to sail on Viking in just over two weeks time.  

If we tested positive for covid now or say early next week we could clear the isolation rules here before our flight, we could also get a clear test that meets Viking requirements and we could pick up a recovery certificate.  But I cannot see anywhere, does Viking have any rules on their declarations we see about health in the previous 14 days - we know if we had a problem in the 7 days before travelling as we would not test clear in time. We know there would be no issue entering Norway if we are recently recovered.

We ask this question not to argue a case to travel, of course we would not travel and put others at risk if there were any doubts, its more about thinking about our plans and various scenarios.  

So what does the health declaration ask?

It is so hard to get excited about a bucket list cruise as we would have in the past with this "what if" nagging doubt!

I understand your concern because my daughter and I are truly "what if" people and often go down that "rabbit hole".  We actually consider and map out our escape routes early in each cruise so we are prepared for: fire, rough seas (REALLY rough), a random shooter, hitting an iceberg (a la Titanic), and of course now; COVID. 

I honestly don't remember the specific questions on the health declaration (we took a Bermuda cruise in July) but I imagine it has changed ten times over since then.  I can only recommend that you take a deep breath, isolate to a reasonable level, and trust that things will be okay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I’m fully insured I’m just dealing with my mental inner voices!

That's my problem too.  My inner voices go through much the same hypothetical and then ask me "and that's a fun holiday?"  Not to mention the possibility of an unplanned fortnight holiday in the third world country of not your choosing.  My second favorite cruise line has been mask optional since resuming cruising.  And of course Viking is the only line that makes all passengers start their day hocking up a loogie into a tube.  Sick or not....  My mental inner voice says "madness".....

• Like 3

We have been following all the rules for the past two years and will ramp it up prior to our cruise.  Can’t hurt but despite the best plans, I think the highest risk of exposure is traveling through the airport and spending hours on the plane.  There’s only so much you can do.  

• Like 4

And just now notified our second favorite cruise line no longer requires 72/48 hour pre tests.  Only the rapid test at the dock prior to boarding.  No testing onboard unless showing symptoms and masks optional.  Viking needs to get back in the forefront of the industry.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And just now notified our second favorite cruise line no longer requires 72/48 hour pre tests.  Only the rapid test at the dock prior to boarding.  No testing onboard unless showing symptoms and masks optional.  Viking needs to get back in the forefront of the industry.

So what does the name of your second-favorite cruise line rhyme with? 

Not sure if this answers your ques

4 hours ago, uktog said:

We are actually hiding from people already.  We are due to sail on Viking in just over two weeks time.  

If we tested positive for covid now or say early next week we could clear the isolation rules here before our flight, we could also get a clear test that meets Viking requirements and we could pick up a recovery certificate.  But I cannot see anywhere, does Viking have any rules on their declarations we see about health in the previous 14 days - we know if we had a problem in the 7 days before travelling as we would not test clear in time. We know there would be no issue entering Norway if we are recently recovered.

We ask this question not to argue a case to travel, of course we would not travel and put others at risk if there were any doubts, its more about thinking about our plans and various scenarios.  

It is so hard to get excited about a bucket list cruise as we would have in the past with this "what if" nagging doubt!

Not sure if this answers your question, but this is from Viking’s website:

“If you have recovered from a previous COVID-19 infection 15-90 days prior to departure but are continuing to test positive, you will need to provide additional documentation as part of the Health Survey to be permitted to travel with Viking.”

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

Edited by Twitchly

5 hours ago, uktog said:

My wife and I both got Covid about 5 weeks ago; she was tested (both a rapid and a PCR) and came up positive; within a couple of days, I started feeling poorly, called my doctor, who told me I should assume that I got it as well, even though I hadn't been tested.

I felt bad 2-3 days (100-degree fever, congestion, a bit of a cough, a little bit of chills but not much), then it went away, other than a bit of nagging congestion.

At any rate, I tested negative 5 days out from when I *think* that I contracted it, and have felt fine ever since. We both were glad we got it when we did (preschool-aged grandchildren probably gifted it to us, we think), because now the chances of getting it anytime soon are reduced (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that). We're getting our PCR tests tomorrow morning for our departure Monday morning for Rome; because we're going early on our own, and don't get on the ship until the 5th, we'll have to get additional PCR tests on the 3rd, but that's not a huge deal, except that in Rome it's going to cost us 55 euros each (ouch).

It's pretty hard for us to isolate, with 3 grandchildren nearby, and with our frequent duties as babysitters, but we both feel great and are confident that tomorrow will go smoothly and we'll be flying to Rome in  3 days. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 9:52 AM, longterm said:

My wife and I both got Covid about 5 weeks ago; she was tested (both a rapid and a PCR) and came up positive; within a couple of days, I started feeling poorly, called my doctor, who told me I should assume that I got it as well, even though I hadn't been tested.

I felt bad 2-3 days (100-degree fever, congestion, a bit of a cough, a little bit of chills but not much), then it went away, other than a bit of nagging congestion.

At any rate, I tested negative 5 days out from when I *think* that I contracted it, and have felt fine ever since. We both were glad we got it when we did (preschool-aged grandchildren probably gifted it to us, we think), because now the chances of getting it anytime soon are reduced (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that). We're getting our PCR tests tomorrow morning for our departure Monday morning for Rome; because we're going early on our own, and don't get on the ship until the 5th, we'll have to get additional PCR tests on the 3rd, but that's not a huge deal, except that in Rome it's going to cost us 55 euros each (ouch).

It's pretty hard for us to isolate, with 3 grandchildren nearby, and with our frequent duties as babysitters, but we both feel great and are confident that tomorrow will go smoothly and we'll be flying to Rome in  3 days. 

Update: got tested this morning, both negative. Rome here we come!

• Like 6