I have searched and been unable to find any reviews or chat, on cruises to Iceland and Greenland.

libno

has anyone every reviewed or discussed Iceland and Greenland? It will be my first visit there, and I am interested in information about weather in August, currency, food specialities, what clothes to take etc. Also, are hop on hop off buses available or does one HAVE to book a tour? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marise

On this N Europe and Baltic forum, simply use the SEARCH facilty for previous threads on Greenland and Iceland.  You only need to log in then put the name of your port call into the search box directly under your username and choose THIS FORUM from the drop down.  Hit the little magnifying glass and all previous threads conraining that place name will appear in the results.Repeat the process with the different names.

Have you looked at sites such as WHATSINPORT and CRUISE MAPPER? They give some useful info too, with more than their site  names would suggest.

Edited by edinburgher

Greenland and Iceland

Answers to questions on weather, currency, food etc are only an internet search away.

GREENLAND

No, there are no HOHO buses that I am aware of.  Most Greenland towns are tiny and not connected to any other settlements.  Due to a lack of touring coaches, guides etc,  cruiselines may offer  no shorex at all, or offer a very limited number of shorex most likely by boat.  Depends where you are visiting, but most are simply walkabout.

Edited by edinburgher

Greenland and Iceland

Answers to questions on weather, currency, food etc are only an internet search away.

GREENLAND

No, there are no HOHO buses that I am aware of.  Most Greenland towns are tiny and not connected to any other settlements.  Due to a lack of touring coaches, guides etc,  cruiselines may offer  no shorex at all, or offer a very limited number of shorex most likely by boat.  Depends where you are visiting, but most are simply walkabout.

Don't forget to look at the official tourist info sites for each, and of course, Tripadvisor.

In 2019 we did the round trip Voyage of the Vikings on HAL's Zuiderdam.  There were four stops in Iceland (two eastbound and two westbound including an overnight in Reykjavik).  In addition there were three stops in Greenland.  I think there are reviews of this cruise when you look for Zuiderdam.  Last year (2021) we did a three week driving tour of Iceland, because after what we saw on the cruise, we needed a longer look at Iceland.  

We made arrangements for private tours in Isafjordur and Akureryi though Westfjords tours.  In Reykjavik we used the HOHO bus for one day and a private Golden Circle tour though Nordic Visitor.  

Weather in August is variable.  We had warm sunshine, rain and mist, and cool weather (sometimes all in one day).  We obtained some ISK at the airport on arrival for our 2021 trip and used credit cards for the 2019 trip.  We had very little use for cash.  We spent out our remaining ISK while waiting for our flight home.

We had very little time for restaurants on our cruise.  Usually we had quick lunches.    The best food was in towns where the cruise ship did not stop.  On the road trip we tried to end each day with a hot soak in a pool or hot spring.  We did not go to Blue Lagoon.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 6:05 AM, edinburgher said:

On this N Europe and Baltic forum, simply use the SEARCH facilty for previous threads on Greenland and Iceland.  You only need to log in then put the name of your port call into the search box directly under your username and choose THIS FORUM from the drop down.  Hit the little magnifying glass and all previous threads conraining that place name will appear in the results.Repeat the process with the different names.

Have you looked at sites such as WHATSINPORT and CRUISE MAPPER? They give some useful info too, with more than their site  names would suggest.

Thank you Edinburgher. Appreciate the info and your response.

On the Viking Ocean Cruises Board there was a thread “Live from Iceland’s Natural  Beauty” that had a lot of information on the 2021 sailings. It’s on page 13, last post Nov 16. I was on the July 12 cruise and learned a lot from the earlier sailings.