Saint Greg's Sailabration - LIVE - Carnival Glory March 5th-13th 2022

Saint Greg

On 3/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, Jamman54 said:

Loving this review, as usual. Greg, did you ever take one of those night time ghost tours? That's something I would like to do when we visit there some day. :classic_ohmy: 

I have not. But one time I was eating at a restaurant in the FQ with open windows and one of the ghost tours made a stop on the corner so I got to hear some of it.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Saint Greg said:

So the Alabama people also go to Jacksonville and want to make sure everyone knows they’re there.

Yep.  Sort of.  Also because Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Jacksonville.  Me too.  But I still haven't  figured out why we use a song about Alabama as our official song.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 6:44 AM, Kathscof said:

Haha well, The band is from Jax, and they wrote the song to make fun of someone (their manager?) who was proud of being from Alabama....so maybe Alabama people are proud of being from there and like to talk about it in general? Haha

@tpooleinjax I just quoted my own post for your answer.....but....I THINK that's what I have heard around my neck of the woods from living in Fernandina from age 5-25 🙂

1 hour ago, tpooleinjax said:

Yep.  Sort of.  Also because Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Jacksonville.  Me too.  But I still haven't  figured out why we use a song about Alabama as our official song.

Jacksonville, Florida or Jacksonville, Alabama?

45 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Jacksonville, Florida or Jacksonville, Alabama?

Florida.   Lynyrd Skynyrd bandmates were all classmates at Lee High School in the 70's and they named the band after their gym teacher I believe, Leonard Skinner.  They also used to practice in a place called "hell house" located in Green Cove Springs where I live now.  There's a lot of their history in this area and several of the family members still live around here.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 3:47 AM, Jamman54 said:

You didn't get two different comedians for the second half of the cruise? 😎

They were all there the whole cruise. Kenny Miller, Geechy Guy, Carl Faulkenberry, and Ron Josol. But yeah the way they did it seemed stale. And none of them were super great. I rank them Geechy, Faulkenberry, Miller, Josol. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

They were all there the whole cruise. Kenny Miller, Geechy Guy, Carl Faulkenberry, and Ron Josol. But yeah the way they did it seemed stale. And none of them were super great. I rank them Geechy, Faulkenberry, Miller, Josol. 

Don't think I've ever seen any of them. Thanks for the info. 😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It was suggested to me to ask you about the comedians on the Pride for April 10, 2022. We sailed the first week in February on the Pride and we are hoping the comedians will be different than the ones featured on my previous cruise. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

It was suggested to me to ask you about the comedians on the Pride for April 10, 2022. We sailed the first week in February on the Pride and we are hoping the comedians will be different than the ones featured on my previous cruise. Thanks.

I posted in your thread. They should be different. I know Carl Strong is one that's scheduled to be on the April 10th cruise. I know Al Katz left the ship today and Rus Nagel leaves next week. Keep an eye out on my Punchliner Comedy Schedule for weekly updates. It's just a fraction of what's actually on the ships, but most comedian's don't publish their schedules. Some that publish their land schedules don't publish their cruise schedules. I try to get as much as I can and as I find out about more comedians I didn't know about, I find more schedules.

Edited by Saint Greg

Since I mentioned them requiring proof of vaccination at some bars and restaurants when I was in New Orleans, it's worth coming back to let you know  they lifted that policy earlier this week. From my experience with it I don't think it would be effective. It seemed like when places weren't busy they would ask for proof of vaccination. Then when they were busy they would not.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_02568894-a925-11ec-8d59-d7bc0ae598eb.html

Edited by Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:02 PM, cajun-crazy said:

Saint Greg - Do you recall Port of Orleans having signage for lining up for Embarkation? Or did it just seem to be one mass long line?  We have 10:00 - 10:30 check in and was just wondering what to expect.

Sorry I missed your post last month. It was one big line. But over the years I've seen New Orleans do it differently each time I cruised from there so just because it was one way in March doesn't mean it's that way now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What is the earliest time you'd recommend a flight from NOLA after leaving the Glory?  Carnivals website suggests 1130 but could it reasonably be earlier?  I've found they recommend far too much time for Miami so am wondering if 1030 or 1045 at MSY might be fine to plan. 

On 8/31/2022 at 7:24 AM, 80sGal said:

What is the earliest time you'd recommend a flight from NOLA after leaving the Glory?  Carnivals website suggests 1130 but could it reasonably be earlier?  I've found they recommend far too much time for Miami so am wondering if 1030 or 1045 at MSY might be fine to plan. 

You may want to check the New Orleans board. Or Gulf South Departures. I always drive to New Orleans but I never fly out of anywhere on debarkation day before noon. I know it could be over cautious in some cases but I have twice had delays that would've caused me to miss a morning flight out of any port. As a rule of thumb I try to allow an hour to get to the airport before the two hour window they want me there.  So I would want to be off the ship at 8:30 for an 11:30 flight.  

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, Saint Greg said:

The most annoying thing about cruising out of New Orleans is the Alabama fans. I’m trying to order a drink and I’ve got people screaming ROLL TIDE! In my ear. Probably didn’t even go to college.

Just tell those Roll Tide fans Rocky Top or Go Dawgs!