1st cruise on Oceania Regatta to Alaska

huskerdan25

Hi Oceania cruisers.  We are Dan and Maddy from Colorado and we are cruise veterans with 13 cruises on Princess and 3 on Celebrity.  We are cruising with Oceania for the first time from July 8-15, 2022 on the Regatta to Alaska.  We've done Alaska twice on Princess and loved it.  One thing we really loved was the lectures during the cruise as we approached the ports of call.  Does Oceania have lectures pertaining to Alaska's wildlife and history like Princess does?  Princess brought lecturers onboard at various points of the cruise and held the lectures in the Princess theatre as well as provided recordings on tv.  These lectures really enhanced the Alaska experience.

We are really looking forward to a different cruise experience with Oceania.  

Edited by huskerdan25

2 hours ago, huskerdan25 said:

...We are cruising with Oceania for the first time from July 8-15, 2022 on the Regatta to Alaska. ...  Does Oceania have lectures pertaining to Alaska's wildlife and history like Princess does?...

Depends on the cruise. Was on Riviera 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean. We did NOT have any lecturers. BUT on the mid-cruise survey I mentioned this and the CD Paul contacted me that day to tell me that I could watch recorded lectures from prior cruises on the TV. They have a video "library" of such lectures. So I did watch 2 of them. So check out that source when you board, to see what all they have recorded, and ask at reception if there will be such lecturers.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Depends on the cruise. Was on Riviera 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean. We did NOT have any lecturers.

Could be the current Covid situation

as I understand it they usually have a naturalist  on the Alaska cruises  but again if the covid situation is still around they may not

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Could be the current Covid situation

as I understand it they usually have a naturalist  on the Alaska cruises  but again if the covid situation is still around they may not

Thanks LHT28.  In my first post, I did mean a naturalist and we do hope there is one on this cruise understanding any impacts covid may have on the cruise.  Hopefully no impact.

1 hour ago, huskerdan25 said:

Thanks LHT28.  In my first post, I did mean a naturalist and we do hope there is one on this cruise understanding any impacts covid may have on the cruise.  Hopefully no impact.

Last time I sailed...  the cruise director read a poor canned  script....  had no idea of what he was doing..  just words..    I say this as a former professional naturalist with NPS  and past O lecturer in the South Pacific.  O is very deficient in this area .   Some of us volunteered who knew the region and were told no.  

Cruises that go into Glacier Bay ( O is not permitted),  have a  core of NPS Rangers to come aboard for the day...   

On 2/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, LHT28 said:

sometimes they do have good commentators  but it can be hit or miss

We had  David McCullough on 2 of our Panama Canal cruises

Lyn he is the best and such a really nice man..

Jancruz1

• Like 1