Help Me Understand 125% FCC Please

TenForward

I've seen plenty of threads on this topic but not quite what I'm searching for...

Our March 2020 cruise was cancelled by NCL due to Covid and we were issued a 125% FCC.  We rebooked for February 2021.  That too was cancelled by NCL and they extended an additional 10% FCC.   We've since rebooked for July 2022.   I cannot for the life of me see where the extra 25% or 10% are applied. 

Our original fare charged to my credit card was $2400, (we also used 2 Cruise Next certs. in the amount of $250 each bringing the cruise total to $2,900).  Our new cruise payment breakdown shows "total payments applied $2900" (which also includes our 2 Cruise Next certs).   Isn't that an even 100% credit and not the extra 25% + 10% ??   I have called my PCC and to his credit, he spent a lot of time on the phone with me but to be honest he used a lot words to say not much of anything and never made clear to me how this could be.  I felt like I was buying a used car (in clarity terms only, I really did appreciate him trying to help but it still remains clear as mud to me). 

Is there something I'm missing, like do they apply the credit to the fare before I even see it on my Confirmation?     It just doesn't make sense to me to see the original amount paid to be the same amount applied when there should have been additional credits added in.

Thanks for any help! 

Edited by TenForward

What you are describing was not unusual.  So many of us had the same "Credit Carousel" over the past two years.

It can be extremely confusing.

Here's how it worked for us...

1. When the March 2020 cruise was cancelled we received both of our CN back into our account, an FCC100 (100% credit) and an FCC25 (25% discount credit)

2. When our next cruise was cancelled, we received all that stuff back into our accounts and received another 10% discount credit.

The FCC25 and FCC10 are both "Cruise Discount Credits".  They essentially get applied to your per passenger cabin rate.  

The FCC100 credit is like cash, you use it to pay down your total fare:

For example, Your original FCC25 should have been $725 (25% of 2900)  -- 1/2 with each passenger.

Let's say you book a cabin that is $1500pp for the cabin only..$3000 cabin charge for 2  .they will apply the 10% discount, which reduces the cabin to $2700 total  (excluding perks, taxes, etc.).  They will then apply the $725 FCC25 to that and your cabin now costs $1,975 for the two of you. 

On your cruise conf. receipt, it will show this money applied in the "savings" row...combined with any other savings that they offer on your booking.  That is one reason it is so confusing.

image.png.4a52391942a250604e355fa124540737.png

NCL then charges all the other appropriate fees (taxes, port fees, FAS gratuities, etc.) and you then get a total Cruise Fare.  

You can then apply Cruise Next Certs as usual and apply the FCC100 as if it were actual cash to your Grand Total to pay off the cruise.

Hope that helps....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

You can then apply Cruise Next Certs as usual and apply the FCC100 as if it were actual cash to your Grand Total to pay off the cruise.

Hope that helps....

Extremely helpful, thank you!   I so appreciate your detailed response.   

4 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

For example, Your original FCC25 should have been $725 (25% of 2900)  -- 1/2 with each passenger.

you might have to remove the 2 Cruise Next certs first.  FCC25 = $600 (25% of 2400) split between each.  I could be wrong, it's been a while and it all gets jumbled after a few cancellations and the CNCs go back to one person and the funds get split - even though pass 2 is a minor and paid nothing into the original cruise.

Edited by n4w
  • Like 1

Be careful not to confuse a "cruise credit" with a "cruise discount". They are not the same. A cruise credit is basically the money that you have already given NCL plus additional money that NCL gave you (25% of what you already gave them) out of the goodness of their heart for agreeing not to demand all your money back when your original March 2020 cruise was cancelled.

I also had a 2020 cruise cancelled and got the same deal you did. At the time they also offered me a one-time 20% discount off the going rate of any cruise cabin if I booked another cruise within a certain period of time. I took advantage of this and got a cabin that was regularly priced at $2000 per person for $1600 per person (2000 x 0.20 = 400).

When that 2nd cruise was cancelled, they put ALL the money that I had originally paid them PLUS the original extra 25% credit back into my Future Cruise Credit. But the one-time 20% cabin discount was gone. The discount was NOT a credit. The discount was not meant to be carried over to another cruise once it had been applied. This time they offered me only a 10% discount on the going rate for a cabin if I rebooked another cruise. I did this - a 10% discount may not be as good as a 20% discount, but it was still something. 

Although, like you, I have never been able to follow the math the way that NCL shows it on their confirmations (or gotten my consultant to logically explain it), I HAVE done the math the way I would do it and ended up with the same amount of FCC remaining in my account that NCL said should be there after paying for the new cruise. And that's all that matters to me.

Funny for us is NCL math was cheaper then I could figure out? LOL.

So we had no FCC as my deposit was 2 CNC.

PCR called me with a 10% bonus discount on top of the 10% FCC/FCD?  for canceled cruise.

I know it doesn't work this way, but it looked like the 20% discount was off the total fare including taxes and fees.

I can count to 6 on one hand so I think I'm ok with math?😀

Edited by Lionkingrichard