Antarctica with Quark

2552phxcrzr

For those of you who have gone to Antarctica on a Quark ship (Orlova, Molchanov, etc.).

I understand that Quark takes passengers on a tour of Tierra del Fuego NP and follows with a barbeque before boarding the ship. Can anyone provide details?

We will be spending several days in Ushuaia before boarding Prof Molchanov, and don't want to book tours, etc. that might be a repeat of what Quark does.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hello, we were on the Orlovo (nov/dec) and yes it did include the tour of the park and bbq lunch prior. It was a nice gesture on their part to do this trip prior to embarking the vessel....was it really exciting? no not really, it seemed to be rather a 'filler' of the morning hours. However, it was nice enough but nothing to be thrilled over. If you are spending time prior in Ushuaia (nice little town, would love to go again)...it had the feel of a frontier town...would not recommend the train either, it was not worth it. For me, if I could, I would do the beagle channel boat trips....hope this helps, if you are like me, then the Antarctica trip will be a life-altering experience!! please let me know how you like it....

Heather

Thanks for your comments, Heather. We're thinking of doing a Beagle Channel Cruise and maybe visit a penguin rookery to see penguin species not found in Antarctica. As well, one of the things we're planning on doing is to go out to the historical Harberton Estancia - we may rent a car for the day. Just wanted to make sure that Harberton wasn't where Quark has the barbecue.

We've been planning this trip for a while and can't wait until our departure on December 31, 2006 - what a way to celebrate a new year. I plan to post a review since such information is few and far between.

If you are renting a car in Ushuaia, be aware that a few miles out of town the tarmac ends! We took a taxi out to Lake Fragnano & very dusty graded roads with steep drop offs, this is on the "Pacific highway". The locals speed along kicking up large clouds of dust. Taxi's were cheap but that was 4 years ago so that & the Tarmac situation may have changed

I had not gotten as far as checking out the roads. It's good to know - we might opt for a taxi as well. What was Lake Fragnano like; how far from Ushuaia.

Since we're just now starting our in-country planning, we're open to different ideas.

By the way - question for anyone who cares to jump in. Any insights on flights from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia? This early in the year, I can't even see the flights for late December and mid January. (At least we have our flights to and from BsAs booked.)

Lake Fragnano is a huge lake split between Chile & Argentina with a coast guard station near the end of road. Drive there was scenic, sky overcast on our visit, many snow capped peaks, forests. On way back we stopped at hidden lake where the ship tour buses go to, for walk around & a coffee. Back at Ushuaia we diverted round the town & down to the railway (only to see it go out with the ships tours on! later most said not worth it) then down to the park at end of Pacific highway, walked around again for photos etc. Then back to ship 6 hrs total $90 US i/c the tip for 4 of us.

Hi, in reference to the flights (BA to USH) check carefully when booking since you can fly out of the town airport (BA) and your return from USH you can go to EZE (BA's International)....build in some flex time, we got caught up in the strike.....made for some interesting travel !! we ended up purchasing a flight out of USH to BA (a military airport) on an old 707....LARE (or LADE) airlines, didn't think we were going to get the height to clear the Andes....definately an adventure. I was so scared on that flight (interior held together with duct tape) that I drank my duty free bottle of sherry, thinking I was not making it home to the US....When in Ushuaia - if you can, eat at Kaupe (Kaufe)...best crab ever....best steak ever....best chilean sea bass ever....pricey for Ush but oh so worth it (we didn't stint on anything, including the wine and it was onlyabout $80 for a fantastic dinner for 2) Heather

Appreciate the flight info.

Schedules for earlier in the year do show an afternoon flight from USH to EZE; I'm hoping it will be available Jan 07 as well.

I've read about the Aerolineas Argentinas strikes - in fact, I think the moratorium on the last strike is about to expire. We built in a couple of days on both the inbound and outbound international flights just in case.

Thanks for the recommendation on Kaupe. I checked out their website; the menu looks awfully appetizing. I've added it to my growing list of things to do while in Ushuaia.

Thanks again - Erin

Archived