PCR test required by Silversea within 48 hours prior to boarding

wren2

I would guess testing may cease in May. I'm going at the end of June and refuse to worry about it till then. If an antigen test is needed I can easily book one at a local pharmacy the day before I travel (which is the day before boarding). I could not have found a PCR test so glad that's cleared up. I must say all this has put me off Silversea a little. I would not have booked this cruise if I'd realised that the lunacy wasn't going to be over by now, and I will not book another until ALL restrictions and silliness are lifted.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ErwinSchrodinger said:

I guess no more pierside testing after 4/30.

There's certainly no more complimentary pierside testing after 4/30, but I wouldn't be surprised if they offer it for a price (and, perhaps, an advance reservation).

• Like 1

Pier side testing.....a taste of luxury just prior to boarding.

Listening to cruisers boarding mainstream lines the next day in FLL and their conversations about testing.   Knowing that ours will be covered without hassle.   Huge!

2 minutes ago, saminina said:

Pier side testing.....a taste of luxury just prior to boarding.

Listening to cruisers boarding mainstream lines the next day in FLL and their conversations about testing.   Knowing that ours will be covered without hassle.   Huge!

Eh, you might want to be careful what you wish for. I don't know that I'd call the pier side testing a "taste of luxury" or a lack of hassle. When we did our pier side testing in Fort Lauderdale, we walked the entire length of Terminal 25 to get to the testing area, then waited in line for about an hour (part of that in the sun), and then walked half the length of T25 just to get back inside to begin the check in process. We didn't need assistance, but many did.

For the second leg of our B2B (starting in Barbados), we had to get off the ship and go to the outdoor testing area. It was a faster process because there was a good deal more flexibility on time.  While I appreciated that Silversea handled the testing, I did not appreciate the way they went about it at the pier (testing on the ship was handled very well, though).

While it is nice to know that testing will be taken care of, there's a lot to be said for simply showing a test result and walking on through. Doing a rapid antigen test is very quick and easy. Testing at home for mainstream line cruising has been far, far less hassle than the pier side testing was. 

I also never liked the idea of potentially being turned away at the pier due to a positive result. We were going to test at home, anyhow, since we were facing the possibility of flying to France and then being turned away at the pier. Now, we can both test at home before leaving and then use that same test result to skip the testing hassle at the pier.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saminina said:

Entered pier 19 at 2:45, walked onto ship at 3:10.

I do not disagree with what you have written.

I'm glad to hear that. It does depend upon how many are boarding. On our sailing, nearly the entire ship turned over in Fort Lauderdale, and it seemed like everyone showed up at the same time. The first ones in line likely had an experience very much like yours. Others waited longer than we did.