Refund of shore excursion

uktog

I have booked and paid for (ie not used OBC) for an excursion on a cruise that departs soon.  Having read reviews about the excursion (Northern Lights in Tromso) I would like to cancel it and just keep the one lights excursion in Tromso.

If I cancel on board (it will be well within their timeframes for a refunded cancellation), will they refund the cost to my on board account or do they put it back to the card I used when booking - my preference would be the on board account as I also have a drinks package to buy onboard

Thanks

When we did Viking Homelands in 2017, we cancelled a pre booked excursion within the given time once on board. The refund went to our on board account. I can't see why it should change in today's climate, but who knows!

• Thanks 1

When we cancelled the NL Tromso excursion it was put into 2 categories, non refundable OBC for the part we paid  with shipboard credit and refundable OBC for the part we put on a credit card.  We were told the latter would be repaid to the credit card 3-6 weeks after our return, but in the end we spent it all!  New handbag and raincoat.  

• Like 3

Thanks, I have no doubt it will be spent onboard given the purchase of silver package and I am glad to read it is the easy option of being added to our on board account.

Interesting.  We cancelled an excursion that we had prepaid for, and it did NOT go to the onboard account, but instead back to our credit card - and we did not have a choice.  This was last summer. 

Who knows, maybe it depends on the cruise person processing it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, uktog said:

I have booked and paid for (ie not used OBC) for an excursion on a cruise that departs soon.  Having read reviews about the excursion (Northern Lights in Tromso) I would like to cancel it and just keep the one lights excursion in Tromso.

If I cancel on board (it will be well within their timeframes for a refunded cancellation), will they refund the cost to my on board account or do they put it back to the card I used when booking - my preference would be the on board account as I also have a drinks package to buy onboard

Thanks

They will put it into your OBC.  At the end of the cruise, if it has not been used it gets refunded to you separately from OBC that is non refundable.  Also, in your account if you have a mixture of refundable and non refundable OBC, they will charge out your non refundable first.  
Our OBC account was a mess in our 54 day cruise, with refundable and non refundable credit.  At the end, it all worked out correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting.  We cancelled an excursion that we had prepaid for, and it did NOT go to the onboard account, but instead back to our credit card - and we did not have a choice.  This was last summer. 

Who knows, maybe it depends on the cruise person processing it.

It depends on when it happens.  An excursion we planned to Ephesus, then Turkey got canceled happened before we left home.  Those wound up on our card.  Excursions in Brazil, Morocco and Senegal that were canceled after we were on our OBC account as refundable.

12 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

It depends on when it happens.  An excursion we planned to Ephesus, then Turkey got canceled happened before we left home.  Those wound up on our card.  Excursions in Brazil, Morocco and Senegal that were canceled after we were on our OBC account as refundable.

Good point.  So it also likely depends on if the excursion was cancelled by Viking (and when it was cancelled by Viking) or if the excursion was cancelled by the passenger ahead of the cancel deadline (also either ahead of the cruise or onboard).

23 minutes ago, millybess said:

We cancelled 2 excursions for our May sailing and they were refunded to our card 2 days later..

Were you onboard when you cancelled, I know they would put it to my card if I cancelled now, I am just thinking about if I cancel onboard