Rogueperson's **Live** Enchantment of the Seas 3/5/2022

52 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

The Captain Morgan Distillery was interesting. It is all distilled here but then sent to the US for packaging distribution.

Did they send some back with you to deliver to the bottling plant in Baltimore?  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

Rogueperson, thank you so much for your beautiful photos of St. Croix.  We did the walking tour when we were there last November and took photos...your photos put ours to shame.  You really captured everything that I tried/wanted to capture.  Thank you so much...oh, and thank you for your awesome review!

Joanne

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Did they send some back with you to deliver to the bottling plant in Baltimore?  🙂

nope.  The price they charged here is a little lower.  20 bucks for the Private stock for a liter but its for sale at Total wine back home for 27 for 750 ml.  But the savings to me wasn’t really worth it for 1, the hassle of getting it at the end of the cruise and 2, i don’t drink off ship in general.

They said the plant is i. Relay, Maryland which i think is near Arbutus, but i also saw articles saying ti closed?!?!  Not sure.

1 hour ago, alex_drew said:

Rogueperson, thank you so much for your beautiful photos of St. Croix.  We did the walking tour when we were there last November and took photos...your photos put ours to shame.  You really captured everything that I tried/wanted to capture.  Thank you so much...oh, and thank you for your awesome review!

Joanne

Thank you for your kind words.  I really was just snapping away.  I feel like I am not doing the island justice here:  My wife is the way better photographer and artist.  

I knocked out hard after the excursion.  Missed the 7pm show of the Alley Cats and woke up just in time to shower for dinner.

I overdid it for dinner though.

Menu

4BEEB10E-FF49-4391-AD8D-989106370B2A.thumb.jpeg.f18d220ca40ac431cea853464b9060d4.jpeg

Salmon Gravlax.  This was really good.

EE132206-AD96-474B-9813-3F86914FA37C.thumb.jpeg.7b9be45a37c5a5726db5640345d2389a.jpeg

Crispy coconut shrimp.  A little dry but decent

443B8909-E025-4F6E-946D-470D6F1C622F.thumb.jpeg.eb9cb1f6b9f76fc7daf7bc20b4defa56.jpeg

Roasted Beets and orange salad.  This was disappointing.  See that little piece of purple?  Thats the beet.

D4AF4909-7168-47F4-9506-AAC8AEA5A310.thumb.jpeg.2e10410ec008ed5909874285e2aa321d.jpeg

Braised Lamb Shank.  This is a general favorite of mine.  Always flavorful.

203DEB08-4CE5-46CA-B6C0-60B926078D9C.thumb.jpeg.f5783a9de397904059c202867ca1d4ff.jpeg

Profiteroles.  I thought this was made with ice cream.

63407225-DBFD-4AF3-85A0-5582665D42DC.thumb.jpeg.bc50073ba38831976150a75048606498.jpeg

Summer fruit Pavlova.

D57CA20B-3648-47FD-9013-3C2E8E75A996.thumb.jpeg.8bd7b6ffed953d445742c4659c78f68f.jpeg

Although I missed the 7pm show.  I managed to make the 9:30 show of the Alley Cats.

I’m not going to get all 4 drinks worth today.  I “might” get one more, which is only 2

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

More miscellaneous pictures.

Freedom statue

Awesome trashcan

Enchantment of the seas from a distance

Testudo’s brother

55CF05E8-5863-4D2B-A7EB-13A758C431BC.thumb.jpeg.c020232c65d0d85bb2c4d40cde058cca.jpeg

Did you rub his head when you went by?  Yes, I went to UMD lol.

3 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Why yes, yes I did.   Both @death_star and I are UMD alumni as well.  Thats where we met at Chestertown Hall way back when.  Almost 30 years now.

My DH and I met in the Oxon Hill Regional Carpool that went to UMD almost 44 years ago.  He graduated in 1979.  I should have in 1982 but he went to Navy OCS and we married in 1981 and moved to VA Beach.  My sister met her DH in the same carpool.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

After the show, I made it up to the Diamond Lounge.  I REALLY like sitting above the Viking Crown lounge.

In answer to my earlier issues, i concluded it was just the Grandeur sound settings that were off.  The music and sound in this Viking Crown Lounge is perfectly acceptable.  Tonight is motown/funk.  Its not as energetic as last night, but it is still early.

5 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Why yes, yes I did.   Both @death_star and I are UMD alumni as well.  Thats where we met at Chestertown Hall way back when.  Almost 30 years now.

Loving the review, was on last sailing.  Might have missed you by a year or two, was in Chestertown fall 94/spring 95.

1 hour ago, Jarmo said:

Loving the review, was on last sailing.  Might have missed you by a year or two, was in Chestertown fall 94/spring 95.

Both of us were in the 4th floor of Chestertown in 94-95.   I don’t remember his name, but the TA who got nailed with 2 trashcans of water from the 4th floor?  That was me 😁. 94 is 28 years ago!!!

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rogueperson said:

Both of us were in the 4th floor of Chestertown in 94-95.  

NIce! I was on 1, the side closer to Bel Air.  We had to have at least bumped in to each other at some point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Both of us were in the 4th floor of Chestertown in 94-95.  

DH and I paid our own way through school and commuted.  UMD was and is a huge commuter school.  Our carpool had 25 or so people.  Cars left at several different times and returned at different times.  It worked well.  I did have several friends who lived on campus.  We had the commuter lounge in the student union which was a great gathering point.  We still keep in touch with several people from the carpool.  During the timeframe we were there, 4 couples met and married and only two are still married - my sister and myself and our DH's.  Some of the dorms when we were there are no longer there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarmo said:

NIce! I was on 1, the side closer to Bel Air.  We had to have at least bumped in to each other at some point.

maybe, but i don’t really remember anyone else outside our floor.  For some reason, we were very mischievous.  I remember someone stole either a stop sign or a street sign and it was in our bathroom for quite a while.

Several of us on our floor are

still in touch.  One of us recently passed.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

maybe, but i don’t really remember anyone else outside our floor.  For some reason, we were very mischievous.  I remember someone stole either a stop sign or a street sign and it was in our bathroom for quite a while.

Several of us on our floor are

still in touch.  One of us recently passed.

We were no angels on 1.  I knew some on other floors, not sure if any were on 4, but I feel like the sign thing rings a bell.  Good to hear some of you are still in touch.  Very sorry to hear about the passing.

Back on topic from a couple of things earlier in the thread.  I found similar in terms of what was offered in Park Cafe compared to Grandeur, especially later in the night.  Nachos and hot dogs were a staple on Grandeur.  Also, Grandeur had Park Cafe open until 1 or 2.  

You were mentioning music volume in Viking.  In my experience, all 5-7 day summer sailings on Grandeur, after about 11 the music was so loud you had to pretty much yell to talk to the person next to you.  It was very much a club atmosphere.  Last week, there were never more than 40ish people in Viking late night and while the music was relatively loud there was no club atmosphere.  

1 hour ago, Jarmo said:

Back on topic from a couple of things earlier in the thread.  I found similar in terms of what was offered in Park Cafe compared to Grandeur, especially later in the night.  Nachos and hot dogs were a staple on Grandeur.  Also, Grandeur had Park Cafe open until 1 or 2.  

You were mentioning music volume in Viking.  In my experience, all 5-7 day summer sailings on Grandeur, after about 11 the music was so loud you had to pretty much yell to talk to the person next to you.  It was very much a club atmosphere.  Last week, there were never more than 40ish people in Viking late night and while the music was relatively loud there was no club atmosphere.  

I don’t normally eat after dinner but the Nachos and hot dogs were great.  Its just pizza now.

I noticed the same sound level across all 4 of my grandeur sailings in the Viking Crown lounge. 1 summer, 1 spring and 2 winter sailings.

The DJ on this ship is the best i’ve heard.  He actually mixes as oppose to just letting songs play out and then playing another one.  I was

losing hope with Royal’s DJs as the best i had seen before is just adequate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Both of us were in the 4th floor of Chestertown in 94-95.   I don’t remember his name, but the TA who got nailed with 2 trashcans of water from the 4th floor?  That was me 😁. 94 is 28 years ago!!!

Just noticed the edit.....I remember an RA, not sure how many were in the building, but I think his name was Glenn.

I noticed that the Park Cafe was closing very early.  Not happy news for me.  I usually head up there at night to do my notes, socialize and hang out before heading for the hills.  I wonder if this is due to the reduced number of passengers and may revert to a more usual later hour when the volume of night owls increases.  I do think that these spring and fall 12 night cruises attract a large number of older passengers who usually tend to be early birds.

Good Morning from Phillipsburg, St. Maarten.  Pictures

from the balcony.

3D9F78CD-3AAF-4249-907E-AFE468658EF6.thumb.jpeg.b9ff0dfc7b3ac0b6dd7f006f332d32bb.jpeg

153A9FA3-E611-4EE9-AA0F-4365CC38EB5C.thumb.jpeg.701bf437ba90836f7f0715579c3532f7.jpeg

I absolutely love this place.  It is one of my favorite islands.  I can’t say absolute favorite because I have never been to St. Lucia or Barbados before.  Also, this is where my wife and I got engaged in 2013.

On another note, I’ve spent more time flying over St. Maarten than any other island in Flight Simulator 2020, as well as screwing up landings onto Princess Juliana airport.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1