Airbnb, Vrbo, etc Thoughts on using in Rome & Venice

Fishboy1947

We are 5 adults, 3 are older grandchildren 20-21.  Thinking of renting apts, condos to get a real feel for the cities, also we could all be together. Have seen some in good locations at reasonable rents.  Has anyone done this?  Good or bad idea?? Would not intend to do any cooking but maybe breakfasts.

Most apts require a minimum of 3 nites.  Do you have that kind of time ?

I've had wonderful experiences staying in apts in Venice. Highly recommend it.

Several yrs ago I tried to book a room at the Pensione Gueratto near the Rialto Bridge.  The hotel was booked so they offered one of their apts. It was a wonderful experience!  I've now stayed at each of their 3 apts depending on who I'm travelling with.  We appreciate having a little kitchen at our disposal for keeping snacks and cold drinks, and coffee for bfast while we waited for the others. Plus one of the apts had w/d. 

We have stayed in house/apartments in Venice, Florence, Amsterdam, and several other European cities. We are currently booked for 2 nights for 7 in Rome and 2 nights for 9 in Athens. Much nicer(and cheaper) than several hotel rooms. We always do breakfast with coffee and snacks at least.

We use VRBO, TripAdvisor, and Airbnb. I think all of the companies are owned by 2 parent companies.

Have fun!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Our first stay in Rome was at a Guest House. It was wonderful. Close to the Colosseum and just so cool to be staying local. We couldn’t believe the giant wood door to the courtyard. The old elevator and how immersed we were.  Second time, AirBnb in Florence. Lovely second floor apartment close to train station and everything else. Last, a beautiful place in Venice, with access to the roof and view of a canal. We did have to drag bags over a few bridges! 

This August we will be at another airBNB in Rome. 3 bedrooms this time, as we will be with our adult children!  

we only choose rooms through AirBNB’s SUPERHOSTS and have not had any problems at all.

3 hours ago, MCazer said:

Our first stay in Rome was at a Guest House. It was wonderful. Close to the Colosseum and just so cool to be staying local. We couldn’t believe the giant wood door to the courtyard. The old elevator and how immersed we were.  Second time, AirBnb in Florence. Lovely second floor apartment close to train station and everything else. Last, a beautiful place in Venice, with access to the roof and view of a canal. We did have to drag bags over a few bridges! 

This August we will be at another airBNB in Rome. 3 bedrooms this time, as we will be with our adult children!  

we only choose rooms through AirBNB’s SUPERHOSTS and have not had any problems at all.

Thank you for the SUPERHOST tip, never used AirBNB. I think this will really add to the trip vs staying in hotels. Depending on strong kids for Venice

• Like 1

I prefer to use VRBO. We used them about 12 times in the US. We used them in Rome in 2019 and had a wonderful apartment with elevator and terrace a block away from the Trevi Fountain. I have them booked for another Rome apartment this May near Piazza Navona. Also booked a houseboat on a canal in Amsterdam for this October. All booked through VRBO. I pick my amenities using the filter and thoroughly check all the reviews and have been successful with great apartments in good locations. It is a more comfortable experience than hotels in my opinion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...