Boarding questions

1kaper

It's been awhile since I last cruised.  I am pretty sure we bought FTTF last time.  

I am planning to do something the morning of the cruise so I'm probably looking at boarding later. 

I can't remember how boarding works.  I have seen threads where they talk about boarding groups.  I know you have to pick a time to check in. 

How does it all work?  

Bonus question - 
Do you prefer to get on ASAP or do you wait until later?  We do not have a suite or status so our room won't be ready immediately. 

When you complete the online check-in you have to choose a boarding time.  It is a 30 minute time window for you to arrive to board the ship so they can attempt to control capacity, lines, etc.  I believe from that time they will assign you a boarding group.  

We try to get on pretty early.  I usually choose 11am boarding group so we can just get on the ship and start our vacation.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

When you complete the online check-in you have to choose a boarding time.  It is a 30 minute time window for you to arrive to board the ship so they can attempt to control capacity, lines, etc.  I believe from that time they will assign you a boarding group.  

We try to get on pretty early.  I usually choose 11am boarding group so we can just get on the ship and start our vacation.

Actually what you are picking is your check in window. Once you've checked in you are directed to seats to wait for your boarding zone to be called. We had a suite on Legend and were among the first to board.

I admit I am one of those who like to get on ship early....we always stay over in a hotel the night prior to works conveniently with check out time in the hotel.  Plus, I like to get pics without others in the frame etc...and why the heck not get started early IMO.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually what you are picking is your check in window. Once you've checked in you are directed to seats to wait for your boarding zone to be called. We had a suite on Legend and were among the first to board.

That is what I was getting from reading something else. 
Do you know the order generally?

If that's the case, I feel better about having a later check in, less time waiting around to get on. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

That is what I was getting from reading something else. 
Do you know the order generally?

If that's the case, I feel better about having a later check in, less time waiting around to get on. 

I don't know how they assigned the zones but suspect that they are assigned first in first out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Bonus question - 
Do you prefer to get on ASAP or do you wait until later?  We do not have a suite or status so our room won't be ready immediately. 

I used to always get the earliest possible check-in time.... I was impatient to get my vacation started.  SO, I'd get a 10:30 - 11:00 check-in time slot and show up when I was supposed to only to find that many many others with later check-in times were being let in the terminal also.  That tends to turn the terminal into a standing room only affair, not a lot of fun.  

Normally the ship isn't even ready to board until 30 to 45 minutes after the earliest check-in time, so you'll be waiting for quite some time in that crowded terminal.  And then, after you do finally get on the ship you won't be able to get to your cabin until around 1:30, so you'll be sitting somewhere with all of your carry-ons waiting for the magic announcement that cabins are ready.

I've decided it's a lot easier to go for one of the later check-in times...... walk right through the check-in process, waltz right onto the ship, do the quick and easy e-muster and then head to your cabin and drop off your bags.

• Like 3

I agree with Groundloop. We used to try to get the earliest possible check in time. I liked to use the extra time time to do a ship tour familiarizing myself with the ship and taking pictures. That's all good, but if you have any carry on luggage, you are going to have to drag it around with you. Or someone in your group is going to have to find a place to just sit with all your luggage and wait. Rooms don't open until 1:30pm. 

I've cruised on Carnival twice in the past few months. The first time, we had a 10:30 check in time. We arrived on time and once checked in, we just had to wait in a crowded waiting area until they were ready to start boarding. 

The second cruise we had an 11:30 check in time . The terminal was very busy but once we got checked in, we were able to walk right on board with no waiting. 

Other than being able to have lunch and check out the ship layout, there is not much to do after an early checkin time. Nothing is open and there are no activities -- of course bars are open selling you all the alcohol you can drink. You can complete muster which takes 5 minutes. And then lay out by the pool if you are so inclined.

I'm always eager to get my vacay started so I like early boarding times, but the truth is that there isn't much to do for those hours before sail away so if you have a later boarding time, you aren't missing much.

• Like 1

I just completed online check-in last night for our upcoming cruise. It was to be available to do on 3/4. Last night at 11:59pm it was not ready. Refreshed at 12:00am and check-in was ready for me to complete. You have to fill out everything and once complete it will assign you a boarding zone. We got A01. To tell what zone you got just pretend you are printing the docs and you can see it in the PDF. We are platinum and was able to complete this process 2 days prior to it being opened up to the masses. Our cruise departs 3/20.