Mardi Gras : Family Harbor Lounge - How was your experience?

onthegreenz

Hi All
Booking an upcoming sailing on Mardi Gras in Family Harbor Room

Was reading a few reviews and have some concerns lol... was wondering what your experience was recently and anything impacted due to COVID related rules?

One review was concerning in which it mention the lounge was only open certain times of the day (corresponding to just meal times) , no games , no treats, no free soda, no snacks... I mean the more I read it, the more I was wondering what the purpose of the lounge was.

With that said, not sure if that was a one off or if you had a better experience. I have a 7 and 9 year old, were not picky but for late nights or quick snack, it would be worth it. My son is big into Xbox (fortnite), doubt they would have that there.

Appreciate any insight, thoughts, or experiences you had.  

With that said, Happy Sailing and lets all hope for a better 2022!

Howdy, I'm in a Family Harbour room on MG right now so i thought i would answer your questions. They are open most of the day, they close at 9. They serve Breakfast, but I'm never up that early so not sure what they have. There is an Ice Cream machine, Coffee machine... Carnival never said free soda but they do have the same soda fountains as up on lido that's included in bottomless bubbles. There are 2-3 playstation systems, but I'm not sure which games they have. If you have any other questions I'm here till Saturday.

• Like 2

Hi Lizord - Thank you so much !

So they do close, thats a bummer. What would you do if its like 10 pm and your kids are hungry/want a late night snack? I guess theres other areas in the boat ?

thats good they have video games, Do you know if they have Xbox?

Thanks for the clarification, you are right. I misread about the Soda. 

How were the snacks? Pre -packaged or like a dish of cookies out?

Does it get crowded? And do you find yourself actually taking advantage of it?

Sorry for the questions , but really appreciate your feedback. I may be overthinking everything but just wanted to see if I should stay in this class or just go to regular ocean/balcony....

Thanks again, also please please please.. Enjoy your cruise! Have a wonderful and safe trip!

I can't speak for the family harbor but there is always something you can get to eat. Worst case either hit up the deli before it closes and put the sandwiches in your fridge or go to the pizza place. On all of our cruises we have used the pizza place late at night many times. 🙂

• Like 2

Yup - Ive been a Norwegian and RCCL lifer .... over 20+ cruises.. and this is our first to Carnival lol.  We figured there would be that pizza spot, but I swear someone told me that Carnival has the buffet open at night too.. you can get pizza and burgers, I was like damnnnnn whats what I am talking about lol

It should be fine, just happy to get out 😃 . Thanks again !

12 minutes ago, onthegreenz said:

Yup - Ive been a Norwegian and RCCL lifer .... over 20+ cruises.. and this is our first to Carnival lol.  We figured there would be that pizza spot, but I swear someone told me that Carnival has the buffet open at night too.. you can get pizza and burgers, I was like damnnnnn whats what I am talking about lol

There is a late-night buffet I believe 11-12:30....I hear its nothing too elaborate but will get the munchies taken care of...there is always room service too!

The family harbor area has a refrigerator with snacks in it. Like yogurt I think. I didnt pay too much attention but there were a couple of sofas and a place for the kids to sit around.

I thought the op was asking about the free pay meals for the kids. Adults still pay but it says kids are free if staying in family harbor. 

The hamburger place closes at 6 pm. Pizza open 24/7 but not other venues. Bbq is open like 11 am to 2 pm on sea days only. 

10 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

There is a late-night buffet I believe 11-12:30....I hear its nothing too elaborate but will get the munchies taken care of...there is always room service too!

Late night buffet hadnt come back when I sailed .. maybe now as masks come off and carnival back nearly to 100% capacity. 

• Like 1

OP I am going to guess that at your kids ages you'll have trouble dragging them out of their clubs much more then they will want to be in the lounge....the clubs are where most of the fun, activities and other kids will be.

19 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

OP I am going to guess that at your kids ages you'll have trouble dragging them out of their clubs much more then they will want to be in the lounge....the clubs are where most of the fun, activities and other kids will be.

This is exactly why we didn’t book it. That and the lack of family harbor balconies on the MG. I figured for what the extra cost was we probably wouldn’t get enough use out of it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lizord said:

The snacks are sandwiches, PB&J and caprese, Cookies, chips and salsa, Cake, and brownies. 

Now there is a benefit I see....the chips and salsa....since the Blue Iguana doesn't serve chips and I do not like eating a burrito or tacos without chips and salsa....😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthegreenz said:

I don't know about now as I haven't sailed since Covid but yes buffet used to be open pretty late where you could get stuff, there is always room service also. I've heard the menu is more limited on the free side now but we would order, BLT and Chips, PB&J and Chips, Cookie/Brownie platter and chocolate milk some nights. 🙂

We stayed in the Family Harbor area on the Vista in 2017 and my 2 boys were your kids age at that time...so definitely my experience is older, but might still be helpful.  They had 2-3 Playstation 4 counsels and they really enjoyed the racing game that was available on it.  This worked out great when it was time to get ready for dinner, etc.  The boys would get ready first, then go play while we got ready.  There were also some board games, etc., but the video games were by far the most popular activity in the room.  The breakfast food was pretty standard.  I think there was an ice cream machine.  One of my kids favorite activities was getting pizza at midnight with just their dad...no mom as I was often in bed.  This has become a great bonding experience that they still look forward to on any cruise we go on.

_D7K6457.JPG

_D7K6456.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, firefly333 said:

Late night buffet hadnt come back when I sailed .. maybe now as masks come off and carnival back nearly to 100% capacity. 

They had a late-night buffet from 11 - 12:30 am on the Sunrise a few weeks ago, so at least some ships have it.

There was NO late-night buffet on the Mardi Gras in October...and I'll bet there isn't now, either.