Taxi Genoa to Leaning Tower of Pisa

cruiseillinois2007

Hello, we are cruising April 15-22 on MSC Seaview, departing Barcelona.  We will be in Genoa on Sunday, April 17 (Easter Sunday), 7AM-5PM.  I have looked into taking the train to Pisa, but it seems a bit time crunched for that window, and the return has 2 changes of train.  Would it be feasible, and any idea of price, to take a taxi direct to the Tower from the port of Genoa?  I realize its a lot of travel time to get there and back, but the Tower is a bucket list item!

Thank you,

Jodie

You would have to pay for a car service for the full day, I would expect about 400 euro.

You can do this by train if you focus on your goal, seeing the tower, rather than maximizing the length of the day.

The first direct train you can reasonably make is the 7:47 IC arriving to Pisa at 10:17, the back up if you miss this one departs at 8:53 and arrives at 11:01.

For the return the last possible direct train leaves Pisa at 13:42 and arrives to Genoa PP (the station walking distance to the port) at 16:14.  The wise move is to take the train before the last one so you have a fallback option if something goes wrong, that train would be the 13:02, arriving at 15:35.

This plan allows you about three hours in Pisa if you get the first departure or two hours if you don't.  If all you really want is to see the tower, that's enough time (even allowing about 15 minutes for a taxi from Pisa Cenrale to the tower and another back from the tower).

You may have trouble picking up a taxi willing to do that trip on the spur of the moment, especially on Easter Sunday.  It’s about 100 miles and more than two hours one way. You should look for private transfer/tour companies to take you there. They will be waiting for you at the ship and can maximize your time in Pisa.  Maybe even time to climb the tower if you want to.  

Edited by marazul

On 3/4/2022 at 5:36 AM, euro cruiser said:

You would have to pay for a car service for the full day, I would expect about 400 euro.

You can do this by train if you focus on your goal, seeing the tower, rather than maximizing the length of the day.

The first direct train you can reasonably make is the 7:47 IC arriving to Pisa at 10:17, the back up if you miss this one departs at 8:53 and arrives at 11:01.

For the return the last possible direct train leaves Pisa at 13:42 and arrives to Genoa PP (the station walking distance to the port) at 16:14.  The wise move is to take the train before the last one so you have a fallback option if something goes wrong, that train would be the 13:02, arriving at 15:35.

This plan allows you about three hours in Pisa if you get the first departure or two hours if you don't.  If all you really want is to see the tower, that's enough time (even allowing about 15 minutes for a taxi from Pisa Cenrale to the tower and another back from the tower).

Thank you, I had read that I should take the train instead to the other Pisa station that is closer to the tower, because the central Pisa train is 30 min walk to the tower. But the first trip I looked at I chose the same route you propose. It does look doable that way. Do you think I could expect to see taxis waiting at the train to take us to the tower, and then the reverse also, back to the train? Thank you! 

23 hours ago, marazul said:

You may have trouble picking up a taxi willing to do that trip on the spur of the moment, especially on Easter Sunday.  It’s about 100 miles and more than two hours one way. You should look for private transfer/tour companies to take you there. They will be waiting for you at the ship and can maximize your time in Pisa.  Maybe even time to climb the tower if you want to.  

HI, thank you, do you have any recommendations  for private transfer? I have googled and while there are plenty from Livorno, I'm having a hard time finding one from Genoa. 

3 minutes ago, cruiseillinois2007 said:

It does look doable that way. Do you think I could expect to see taxis waiting at the train to take us to the tower, and then the reverse also, back to the train? Thank you! 

There is an easy bus from the Pisa train station to get to the Tower and back. When you arrive in the station, you should be able to see the area just outside from which buses arrive and depart. Buy your ticket in the station. There is a dedicated shuttle (Shuttle A) or you can also take bus numbers 3 or 4. These will drop you just outside the Piazza dei Miracoli where the Tower is located.

There should also be taxis. I just question how many there will be on an Easter Sunday.