Anyone using the Switch antigen tests (remote proctored) to board a cruiseship (RC or Celebrity)?

DHLuCruise

24 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

I notice a couple people have done it, but others say it doesn't work. I'm just curious if that's worked for you. 

Why would it not work? They are following Govt guidelines and these tests are approved to fly to the US. 

I'm also trying to get clarification on this, as here (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go) they say there needs to be a CLIA number or certification number, which I think only American labs have, on the result but here (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country) they say you can use the same test to board as you did to enter the country. Which would mean that any of the travel antigen tests at Canadian pharmacies or the proctored Switch Health antigen test should be fine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimlv said:

I'm also trying to get clarification on this, as here (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go) they say there needs to be a CLIA number or certification number, which I think only American labs have, on the result but here (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country) they say you can use the same test to board as you did to enter the country. Which would mean that any of the travel antigen tests at Canadian pharmacies or the proctored Switch Health antigen test should be fine.

Thanks for the link @jimlv it looks like you are correct. If its valid for entry into the USA, they are saying it would work for boarding the ship.

There are many people that have used the switch health (in-person tests) to board a ship and I am pretty sure those dont have a CLIA number. So I think based on this we should be fine.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, DHLuCruise said:

Thanks for the link @jimlv it looks like you are correct. If its valid for entry into the USA, they are saying it would work for boarding the ship.

There are many people that have used the switch health (in-person tests) to board a ship and I am pretty sure those dont have a CLIA number. So I think based on this we should be fine.

Every time I read I get more confused. 

How I’ve understood it, the test to fly to the US has to be approved for use in the country you’re arriving from (Health Canada). 

The test to board the ship (for Royal Caribbean at least, I don’t know if that’s industry wide) has to be FDA approved. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Unfortunately I don’t interpret it as “if it’s ok to use to fly, we’ll accept it at the port too”. Just that they don’t need a new test necessarily as long as the test you took before the flight meets their requirements 😞 

I’m having a hard time finding out which ones that we can do in Canada are FDA approved. 

Under Royal Caribbean's current rules, a non-FDA EUA test is valid if performed in person but not by Telehealth. 

But whether you are tested in person or by Telehealth, the lab report Switch Health gives you is identical. So Royal Caribbean has no way of knowing if you took the test by Telehealth or not. 

Personally, I'd have no concerns about using one to board a cruise. I think all they are looking for is the date and the word Negative. When people are bringing test results from hundreds of different pharmacies and doctors offices and laboratories and urgent care centres and airports, the check in staff simply don't have the time to know the details of each and every testing provider in the world.  

But if you are the type to work up a sweat when your speedometer hits 101km/h in a 100km/h zone, or you feel the need to volunteer to the cruise line that you used a Telehealth service, then maybe stick to getting your test done in person or in the US. 

Edited by cmich068

Used a switch health to board Enchantment back in Jan.  Zero issues.  The test result was looked at by several people during embarkation and none questioned it.  Also fully accepted via the online check in process.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cmich068 said:

But if you are the type to work up a sweat when your speedometer hits 101km/h in a 100km/h zone, or you feel the need to volunteer to the cruise line that you used a Telehealth service, then maybe stick to getting your test done in person or in the US. 

That’s an odd comparison.

A speeding ticket isn’t really on par with being denied boarding and having a vacation cancelled. I’m just trying to make sure I’ll get on the ship, so I need to figure out the testing and vaccine passport requirements for 5 countries and 2 airlines in addition to RC’s rules. It’s not easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are travelling from Italy to the US and was thinking about using the Switchhealth antigen test.  The only concern is that it has not been approved in Italy and the test needs to be approved by the country where you administered the test.   Technically, we will be performing it in italy, but will be overseen by a health expert in Canada.   So, do you think it would be a problem to use the test for that reason?

On 4/10/2022 at 2:26 PM, tert333 said:

We are travelling from Italy to the US and was thinking about using the Switchhealth antigen test.  The only concern is that it has not been approved in Italy and the test needs to be approved by the country where you administered the test.   Technically, we will be performing it in italy, but will be overseen by a health expert in Canada.   So, do you think it would be a problem to use the test for that reason?

Honestly, probably not an issue. The airline will look at the date and the word negative. 

Much like the criteria for boarding a cruise ship, stricter on paper than it is in reality. 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, mama-of-three said:

RCCL. And yes worked great 

How long did it take online to get someone to proctor the test? Last time I used switch health was during the height of covid for travel quarantine testing and it was a 3 hour wait for someone to come online