Alaskan cruise

karen armstrong

27 minutes ago, karen armstrong said:

Hi I will be going on my first Alaskan cruise in July 2023, combining it with a family wedding in Vancouver. I know the weather will be hot in Vancouver, but what do I pack for an Alaskan cruise please 

Layers. It could be anything. I have cruised twice from Vancouver as I live here and Alaska was very warm both times. However, many have the opposite experience. I would say rain gear with a layer underneath if needed and a bathing suit.

• Like 1

The last time I took a July Alaska cruise, it was hotter in Juneau than it was in Vancouver.  The only advice I can offer for unpredictable weather is to bring something for the possibility of rain.  And a sweater for on the ship as it is often colder on board (due to air conditioning) than outside.

• Like 3

Our cruise was in June of 2019. We were fortunate to have good weather for most of the time. We packed for changing conditions, layers are important. We each had a light weight rain shell with a hood for the rain and wind. We also had heavy merino wool sweaters, the key here is real wool, it will keep you warm even when wet. Of course a good toque will keep your head warm. We also packed good winter gloves (make sure you can still operate your camera 😉) We also brought some "hot pocket" hand warmers. We only used the heavy gear while on deck at the glacier. I shared one of the hot pockets with another passenger who was poorly prepared. 

It rained briefly at Icy Strait Point, that was the only bad weather we encountered. Others may have different weather 😁 

As already mentioned...layers. We went a couple of years ago in September...rain one day...beautiful sunshine the next day. Early morning out on deck watching glaciers was cool...but warmed up by noon and we were in the pool in the afternoon. A light rain jacket is a must.