Canceling Baltic cruises to Saint Petersburg

brittany12

Other cruise lines are already canceling their Baltic cruises this summer. SB just did so. Not just the port of SPB— all of the Baltic. Oceania as of this morning has not yet done so. I imagine it is only a matter of time before wishful thinking catches up with the reality of Russian boots on the ground in the Ukraine and its impact worldwide on safety and travel.  US State Department urging Americans not to go to Russia. My guess is that the hospitality industry is dead in Russia for many years to come. Cruises, planes, hotels— who would still want to go there? Even if one could get there in these perilous times, could one be assured of safely getting back home?  I just pray it does not affect cruising and traveling  in the rest of Europe in the coming months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Other cruise lines are already canceling their Baltic cruises this summer. SB just did so. Not just the port of SPB— all of the Baltic. Oceania as of this morning has not yet done so. I imagine it is only a matter of time before wishful thinking catches up with the reality of Russian boots on the ground in the Ukraine and its impact worldwide on safety and travel.  US State Department urging Americans not to go to Russia. My guess is that the hospitality industry is dead in Russia for many years to come. Cruises, planes, hotels— who would still want to go there? Even if one could get there in these perilous times, could one be assured of safely getting back home?  I just pray it does not affect cruising and traveling  in the rest of Europe in the coming months.

We are on an O Baltic cruise late Summer and all of the Russian ports were canceled at the outset of the war, not just SB........they indicated that they would let us know the updated itinerary.  I am sure they are watching the current situation before deciding which new ports to use.  Final payment isn't due for another month so plenty of time to decide.

• Like 2

Which cruise lines have cancelled all of their Baltic cruises for 2022? Which one is SB?

Mine is on NCL, they are just now starting to notify some people of the modified itineraries without SPB. NCL is offering people a 20% refund if they have already paid in full, and a 20% price reduction for their cruise. I am hoping I get the same offer and the substitute ports are agreeable. Oceania will likely be doing the same as part of the same parent company.

Edited by susiesan

SB= Seabourn.

I don't think they had many Baltic cruises, but they have rerouted the ones they had to London/Norway, and staying out of the Baltics.  Don't know why, but the competition for alternate Baltic berths must be intense.  I can see the appeal of "this doesn't affect that many sailings, and we don't have a crystal ball, so..... punt."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brittany12 said:

State dept just told anyone in Russia or the region to get OUT  NOW.  I agree that all the Baltic will not see any traffic for years. and that the Russian  travel industry is finished.   If you sent funds to a Russian company for a deposit, with the banks sanctioned  no way to get your funds back.   But there are far bigger  problems looming in the region it looks like... far bigger.     

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I agree that all the Baltic will not see any traffic for years. and that the Russian  travel industry is finished.   

So far only one small cruise line has cancelled their 2022 Baltic cruises. At this point, Oceania has not nor has NCL. No other line except Seabourn has pulled out of the Baltic.

Oceania has 3 ships doing Baltic itineraries this summer. 3 sailings on Insignia, 13 on Marina, and 1 on Sirena. If Oceania pulls out of the Baltic what would they do with these 3 ships in Europe? O already has Nautica, Sirena, and Riviera in the Med. Would O just park the ships in Europe for 4-5 months, and then sail back over to the Caribbean for the winter season? Where else could the ships go, espcially marina who is dedicated to the Baltic between June and September.

23 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

We were in Odessa several years ago and had a great time..now t hear its being bombed is heart breaking...

Jancruz1

Kyiv was beautiful & the people we met were friendly & gracious when we were there. I just can't imagine what they're going through.

• Like 2

Both Kyiv and Odessa real European cities. Lovely people, very pleasant atmosphere. Never felt endangered walking fascinating streets. Little cafes and restaurants. Russian aggression killing thousands of innocents breaking our heart and can never be forgotten or forgiven. Must be accountability and recompense. Cruising will never be the same.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

Both Kyiv and Odessa real European cities. Lovely people, very pleasant atmosphere. Never felt endangered walking fascinating streets. Little cafes and restaurants. Russian aggression killing thousands of innocents breaking our heart and can never be forgotten or forgiven. Must be accountability and recompense. Cruising will never be the same.

We may never be the same.....  The world too...  Take time today and everyday to pray to God.

• Like 1