Antigen test driving from Port Liberty to Ottawa

coffee59

Does anyone know where I can stop for a rapid antigen test on my drive from Port Liberty to the Thousand Island Bridge?   I'll be on the Anthem of the Seas later this month and I need a game plan.

Thanks.

I know it's not antigen, but if you want free, my recommendation would still be to book at a Walgreens location for their "Rapid Diagnostic Test" 

Lots of locations along the route, I'm sure you could find one near Scranton or Binghamton without much issue. Test down there and you should have your results in hand long before you hit the border. 

Edited by cmich068

You can also snag a kit from Switch Health (or the other providers) and do it yourself from anywhere.  Not free like the Walgreens ID Now, but reasonably cost effective.

Edited by edrussell
  • Like 1

The potential problem with Walgreen is the time it takes to get your results. They currently don't offer the RAT within NY State, so the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) is their fastest option, and they only claim "Results within less than 24 hours." 

• How and when will I receive my COVID test results?

Test results turnaround times will vary by location and depend on the type of test taken. Patients will be notified of their results online, by mail or phone call.

• Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR, results time varies†)
    • Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW, results in less than 24 hours)
    • Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW, results in as little as 1 hour)

This webpage enables you to find Walgreen stores providing tests. There are more than a dozen in Newark itself, and many, many more along the drive to the Thousand Islands Bridge.   https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing#!  Given their comment that turnaround time will vary, I'd give a few a call to get an idea as to their typical time. You might want to start with some of the ones that say that they have lots of appointments available, as they are likely less busy and can provide faster service.

Alternatively, the Switch Health (or similar) option is always available. A third option, fairly new and consequently untested to a large extent, are telehealth sites that allow you to use your own test kits, like the ones handed out free by the Ontario government at grocery stores and drug stores. They just charge you for proctoring and providing the results, and in some cases are quite inexpensive, but it may be too early to go that route until there is more information available.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The potential problem with Walgreen is the time it takes to get your results. They currently don't offer the RAT within NY State, so the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) is their fastest option, and they only claim "Results within less than 24 hours." 

Theoretically possible, but I've been doing NAAT tests at Walgreens everytime I cross the border, including day trips, and longest I've ever waited for results was 2 hours. The ID Now test they use only takes about 30 minutes to process. 

Edited by cmich068

48 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

Theoretically possible, but I've been doing NAAT tests at Walgreens everytime I cross the border, including day trips, and longest I've ever waited for results was 2 hours. The ID Now test they use only takes about 30 minutes to process. 

Thanks, I agree, test results typically are available much sooner than Walgreens suggests.