Cancelled: Valiant Lady Coast the Canary Islands

sandero

Thank you all for your posts.

I think Virgin Cruises knew about this far earlier than the email cancellation, as they stopped selling the second and third Coast the Canary Islands around 8th January, and they stopped selling the first Coast the Canary Islands around September/October last year. I thought at first the ships were sold out, but subsequently found that the first one was replaced with the private charter, the charter being in-between the UK MerMaiden on 18th March and Long Weekender for 1st April. There's also a Long Weekender from 29th April, so probably the TV charter is from 4th to 29th April? There's talk of a 5 day to Amsterdam, but I don't see that on Virgin Cruises yet. So could it be a three week charter to the TV company and a sailing to Amsterdam in April? 

Since the initial email, I've received an email addressed to Nicholas Joyce, which stated:

I wanted to personally reach out after yesterday’s cancelation because we understand how frustrating and disappointing this is. We know that taking time off from work and scheduling vacation is important and takes planning — and we pride ourselves on being the brand you come to and trust to make your time with us truly incredible. And to that end, it’s our goal to make things right when we miss the mark. We’d like to make this up to you by offering you a complimentary sailing on Valiant Lady during her 2022 season. You can choose any one of our amazing itineraries — from either the UK or out of Barcelona. The only thing we’d ask is that you pay the taxes and fees.

In addition to this complimentary voyage, you’ll still keep your Future Voyage Credit for another future sailing. If this voyage offer is something you’d like, use code <REDACTED> and visit VirginVoyages.com to redeem when booking.

This special code opens the door to:
• One Sea Terrace Cabin (taxes and fees excluded)
• Sailings currently available on Valiant Lady March 18 - Oct 16, 2022
• Your current FVC can be used to upgrade your cabin
• Not combinable with other promotions
• Based on space availability

Ultimately, we understand that we fell short here, and we hope you’ll give us an opportunity to make it up to you and experience everything our gorgeous Valiant Lady has to offer.

Gratefully,

Michelle Bentubo
SVP Travel Operations
Virgin Voyages 

So, assuming that was for everyone affected, and not a specific person that has inadvertantly been sent to everyone, then they have now offered a Sea Terrace Cabin on a 2022 sailing on the Valiant Lady. Not perfect for a RockStar booking, but certainly better than what was offered previously.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandero said:

Thank you all for your posts.

I think Virgin Cruises knew about this far earlier than the email cancellation, as they stopped selling the second and third Coast the Canary Islands around 8th January, and they stopped selling the first Coast the Canary Islands around September/October last year. I thought at first the ships were sold out, but subsequently found that the first one was replaced with the private charter, the charter being in-between the UK MerMaiden on 18th March and Long Weekender for 1st April. There's also a Long Weekender from 29th April, so probably the TV charter is from 4th to 29th April? There's talk of a 5 day to Amsterdam, but I don't see that on Virgin Cruises yet. So could it be a three week charter to the TV company and a sailing to Amsterdam in April? 

Since the initial email, I've received an email addressed to Nicholas Joyce, which stated:

I wanted to personally reach out after yesterday’s cancelation because we understand how frustrating and disappointing this is. We know that taking time off from work and scheduling vacation is important and takes planning — and we pride ourselves on being the brand you come to and trust to make your time with us truly incredible. And to that end, it’s our goal to make things right when we miss the mark. We’d like to make this up to you by offering you a complimentary sailing on Valiant Lady during her 2022 season. You can choose any one of our amazing itineraries — from either the UK or out of Barcelona. The only thing we’d ask is that you pay the taxes and fees.

In addition to this complimentary voyage, you’ll still keep your Future Voyage Credit for another future sailing. If this voyage offer is something you’d like, use code <REDACTED> and visit VirginVoyages.com to redeem when booking.

This special code opens the door to:
• One Sea Terrace Cabin (taxes and fees excluded)
• Sailings currently available on Valiant Lady March 18 - Oct 16, 2022
• Your current FVC can be used to upgrade your cabin
• Not combinable with other promotions
• Based on space availability

Ultimately, we understand that we fell short here, and we hope you’ll give us an opportunity to make it up to you and experience everything our gorgeous Valiant Lady has to offer.

Gratefully,

Michelle Bentubo
SVP Travel Operations
Virgin Voyages 

So, assuming that was for everyone affected, and not a specific person that has inadvertantly been sent to everyone, then they have now offered a Sea Terrace Cabin on a 2022 sailing on the Valiant Lady. Not perfect for a RockStar booking, but certainly better than what was offered previously.

Yes I got the same email with the wrong name, you should have received another follow up email today with your correct name explaining the offer of a free cruise is still available.

2 hours ago, UK_Cruiser99 said:

Yes I got the same email with the wrong name, you should have received another follow up email today with your correct name explaining the offer of a free cruise is still available.

Thanks, got that email a couple hours ago, and a second addressed to "Sailor" with a different code to use. 

Also of note, it makes mention of the Amsterdam voyage: "We also wanted to note — you may have heard about our 5-night voyage from Amsterdam to Portsmouth. This is, in fact, happening, and we’re excited to share details about it soon and you’re absolutely (and encouraged!) to join us on that for your complimentary voyage when that itinerary is open for booking."

• Like 1

Just read about it here (https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26996-three-april-2022-sailings-on-valiant-lady-cancelled.html) and I am shocked at how shoddily Virgin are treating its customers. Aren't they meant to be customer savvy?  If this is how they will do cruising differently to everyone else then I think I will skip.  It's still a new line, and a new ship, so people will be trying them out for the first time. Hardly the best way to start by disenfranchising three shiploads of customers. I feel very sad for all those affected.  We've all had so many cruises curtailed because of Covid but these cancellations are completely avoidable.  If it is as rumoured, this TV series in the US then it does seem Virgin are greedy for the publicity with that programme's demographic at the expense to people who have already paid their hard earned money to sail.  It is a poor look from Virgin in my opinion.  And asking you to pay fees and taxes is a mean look too.

58 minutes ago, richard_london said:

Just read about it here (https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26996-three-april-2022-sailings-on-valiant-lady-cancelled.html) and I am shocked at how shoddily Virgin are treating its customers. Aren't they meant to be customer savvy?  If this is how they will do cruising differently to everyone else then I think I will skip.  It's still a new line, and a new ship, so people will be trying them out for the first time. Hardly the best way to start by disenfranchising three shiploads of customers. I feel very sad for all those affected.  We've all had so many cruises curtailed because of Covid but these cancellations are completely avoidable.  If it is as rumoured, this TV series in the US then it does seem Virgin are greedy for the publicity with that programme's demographic at the expense to people who have already paid their hard earned money to sail.  It is a poor look from Virgin in my opinion.  And asking you to pay fees and taxes is a mean look too.

as crappy as it is, it seems like it was a well-calculated risk that they took.  brand exposure to millions of their target demo in the US vs. cancelling a few voyages that were probably not very well sold to begin with. 

it sucks, but they likely determined that the positive exposure + the free trips for impacted pax outweighed any ill will from a very small portion of their customer based that had been booked on those voyages.  communication could definitely have been improved though!

18 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

as crappy as it is, it seems like it was a well-calculated risk that they took.  brand exposure to millions of their target demo in the US vs. cancelling a few voyages that were probably not very well sold to begin with. 

it sucks, but they likely determined that the positive exposure + the free trips for impacted pax outweighed any ill will from a very small portion of their customer based that had been booked on those voyages.  communication could definitely have been improved though!

Sounds like there is more in it for Virgin than for the TV producers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bachelorette_(American_TV_series)#Ratings

I've never seen it, not sure it is shown in the UK.  It doesn't sound like a big audience for the US.  Is the show popular?  1.8 million viewers 18-49 for the last year there are figures for - if we assume this is Virgin's demographic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, UK_Cruiser99 said:

Has anyone received a refund yet?

I have received around £120 back but I am still waiting for over £800 to be returned...

I am going to ring today to chase it up...its definitely been more than 7 - 10 days!

Hi Folks ignore this post I just checked my CC again and I got a full refund on 19th March...I was expecting an email to tell me but I would advise keep checking your credit card