help me do math car rental vs. uber

mousefan73

Hello. We are on the Disney wonder and will stop first in HNL for one day. I have a car rental booked right now. I am wondering if ubering our plans will cost the same or just a tab more and be more relaxiing.. Trying to decide to keep car or not. Here are our plans.

All ashore is planned for 8:30

My mom and I have USS Arizone ticekts at 11:30 ( meaning we need to be there by 10:30)

We then plan to head to Aulani for a bit to check the place out and then drive and check out things until about 8am.

If we do the car we need to uber to airport ( cost??) and then pay 121.00 for rental plus gas and uber back (??)

Am I wrong in the math here : uber 20.00 from port to HNL each way + gas + rental about 190 USD.

How much would ubering/taxing this be?

port-Pearl Harbo-Aulani-Waikiki near Diamond heard-uber to port be???

I believe from waikki we can take a bus to Diamond head?? or do the palace museum.

My gut feeling is we save money here and not have the stress of getting the car at HNL and dropping back off.

I just need to confirm that Pearl Harbor still had a bag check.

any opinions on this plan B maybe?? should I dump the car?? We will be back on May 6th and have a car to do more beach stuff. Just trying to figure out what we can do on May 2nd without a car and pay for ubers for less amount and stress.

The Aulani is out in Ko'olina, in the far west of O'ahu, and traffic between there and downtown Honolulu can be brutal during commute hours. I suggest you use a driving app like Waze to predict how long it will take to drive anywhere during the times you are thinking of moving about. You will most likely have to pay to park at the Aulani.

As far as getting an Uber cost estimate, you can open up the app and set your pick up and drop-off points. It will give you an estimate on the cost without you actually having to be in Hawaiʻi or having to book the ride.

By the way, parking in Waikiki is not always free, easy, or fun. 

6 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

My mom and I have USS Arizone ticekts at 11:30 ( meaning we need to be there by 10:30)

Uber from the pier to Pearl Harbor is about $20. 

We then plan to head to Aulani for a bit to check the place out and then drive and check out things until about 8am.

We did this from Waikiki to Aulani a few weeks ago and it was like $70 so my guess is it would be more like $60ish from Pearl Harbor. As the previous poster mentioned traffic can be rough depending on when you go. Also we were a bit disappointed-- a lot of things there, exceot the beach (which is public), are restricted to guests only as part of their covid protocols. The Four Seasons next door was more accommodating and we were able to get lunch there. Maybe this will change as things loosen up this month. 

should I dump the car?? We will be back on May 6th and have a car to do more beach stuff. Just trying to figure out what we can do on May 2nd without a car and pay for ubers for less amount and stress.

I would cancel the car for the 2nd and just Uber around to Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. If you still rent a car on the 6th use that day as the one to go out to Ko Alina and Aulani. It will be a better use of time and you'll have a much more relaxing day on the 2nd. 

Also as the previous poster mentioned, you won't really want to bring a rental car into Waikiki if you can avoid it-- congested and parking is astronomical. 

Was 11:30 the earliest you could get USS Arizona Memorial tickets?

I'd save Ko Olina (no okina, it is two words, not one) and Aulani for when you return. Uber to Pearl Harbor. If you are docking at the Aloha Tower and your PH time stays 11:30, you could walk to Iolani Palace, the State Capitol Building, the Aliʻiolani Hale and a few sights in Downtown Honolulu and then Uber to PH from there. You don't really need to be there a full hour before your scheduled time.

After PH then I'd Uber to Waikiki and have lunch some place nice and check out Waikiki.

I would NOT hike Diamond Head starting any later than 10AM, maybe even sooner. When I am staying in Honolulu I (we) hike Diamond Head starting at around 6:30AM. It is a very hot, very dry and hotter as the day goes on.