Question about mixed drinks and a 20 yr old

sanken

I was just on the Jewel of the Seas, and am 18, i was able to get mixed drinks in the dining room no questions asked, i was asked my age in a couple of the bars, i had my friends buy me drinks, and i'd take it out of the bar. you shouldn't have too much trouble with the rule

18y/o up to 21 can buy beer and wine, (with a parent's permission in writing--there is a form parents need to sign) not mixed drinks.... but as the other posters said, there probably won't be a problem with having someone get it for you. have fun, but be safe! i know my daughters will want mixed drinks...wine is ok, but they don't like beer!!

33407437.gif

Probably you wouldn't have a problem. Most people don't seem to. However, you would be technically violating your RCI contract. Some people believe that 18-21 are allowed to have mixed drinks as long as someone orders it for them. That is incorrect. RCI's own site and cruise brochures say that it's against the rules for someone to to purchase or supply hard liquor for someone younger than 21. Just an FYI.

beachchick

It's beer and wine strictly. Hard Lemonade is a malted beverage which they consider a mixed drink. Someone else will have to buy it for her.

I'm not sure about this. Hard Lemonade - like Mike's - usually falls more under the beer category. But in any case, it's not on board. They have Smirnoff Ice. If you can get a beer, I don't see why you couldn't get a Smirnoff Ice. I could be wrong....

"I'm not sure about this. Hard Lemonade - like Mike's - usually falls more under the beer category. But in any case, it's not on board. They have Smirnoff Ice. If you can get a beer, I don't see why you couldn't get a Smirnoff Ice. I could be wrong...."

They don't. I wanted a Skyy Blue when I was 18, it comes in a beer bottle, and they wouldn't let me buy it. Unless it is a beer or wine they will not let you. That's straight from RCI themselves. I have tried in the past and they wouldn't let me. They unfortunately do not see it as being a beer because it isn't. Skyy Blue has vodka in it, Smirnoff has vodka in it, they won't allow anyone under 21 to buy hard liquor.

"I'm not sure about this. Hard Lemonade - like Mike's - usually falls more under the beer category. But in any case, it's not on board. They have Smirnoff Ice. If you can get a beer, I don't see why you couldn't get a Smirnoff Ice. I could be wrong...."

They don't. I wanted a Skyy Blue when I was 18, it comes in a beer bottle, and they wouldn't let me buy it. Unless it is a beer or wine they will not let you. That's straight from RCI themselves. I have tried in the past and they wouldn't let me. They unfortunately do not see it as being a beer because it isn't. Skyy Blue has vodka in it, Smirnoff has vodka in it, they won't allow anyone under 21 to buy hard liquor.

Hi Laurie - I don't doubt your experience, and it turns out we are both right. I pulled the below off the Smirnoff website. Skyy Blue has been discontinued.

Does SMIRNOFF ICE® have vodka?

NO. SMIRNOFF ICE® was created as a beer alternative; brewing it using a malt base enabled us to create a recipe that could be sold and consumed just like a beer here in the United States.

BUT. SMIRNOFF ICE® does contain Vodka in many foreign countries including Canada, Brazil, England, Ireland and South Africa.

SMIRNOFF ICE™ is a beer alternative brewed using a malt base that gives ICE a refreshing citrus flavored taste.

The difference between SMIRNOFF ICE™ and a beer is SMIRNOFF ICE™ and super-premium and imported beers are brewed and have about the same alcohol content. However, SMIRNOFF ICE™ is brewed using a malt base and contains a special recipe that gives it a clean, crisp, refreshing taste that doesn't weigh you down. SMIRNOFF ICE™ was created as a beer alternative; brewing it using a malt base enabled us to create a recipe that could be sold and consumed just like a beer here in the United States.

What is the alcohol content of SMIRNOFF ICE®?

The alcohol content of SMIRNOFF ICE® is 5.0% by volume - the same as most super-premium/imported beers, i.e., Heineken.What is the difference between SMIRNOFF ICE® and a beer?

Both SMIRNOFF ICE® and super-premium and imported beers are brewed and have about the same alcohol content (%ABV). However, SMIRNOFF ICE® is brewed using a malt base and contains a special recipe that gives it a clean, crisp, refreshing taste that doesn't weigh you down.

px.gifpx.gifpx.gifpx.gif

Hi Laurie - I don't doubt your experience, and it turns out we are both right. I pulled the below off the Smirnoff website. Skyy Blue has been discontinued.

Does SMIRNOFF ICE® have vodka?

NO. SMIRNOFF ICE® was created as a beer alternative; brewing it using a malt base enabled us to create a recipe that could be sold and consumed just like a beer here in the United States.

BUT. SMIRNOFF ICE® does contain Vodka in many foreign countries including Canada, Brazil, England, Ireland and South Africa.

SMIRNOFF ICE™ is a beer alternative brewed using a malt base that gives ICE a refreshing citrus flavored taste.

The difference between SMIRNOFF ICE™ and a beer is SMIRNOFF ICE™ and super-premium and imported beers are brewed and have about the same alcohol content. However, SMIRNOFF ICE™ is brewed using a malt base and contains a special recipe that gives it a clean, crisp, refreshing taste that doesn't weigh you down. SMIRNOFF ICE™ was created as a beer alternative; brewing it using a malt base enabled us to create a recipe that could be sold and consumed just like a beer here in the United States.

What is the alcohol content of SMIRNOFF ICE®?

The alcohol content of SMIRNOFF ICE® is 5.0% by volume - the same as most super-premium/imported beers, i.e., Heineken.What is the difference between SMIRNOFF ICE® and a beer?

Both SMIRNOFF ICE® and super-premium and imported beers are brewed and have about the same alcohol content (%ABV). However, SMIRNOFF ICE® is brewed using a malt base and contains a special recipe that gives it a clean, crisp, refreshing taste that doesn't weigh you down.

px.gifpx.gifpx.gifpx.gif

Ok, so going off of this, malt beverages are not included under the beer & wine policy RCCL has. When I had asked for the Skyy Blue they told me that since it was a malted beverage that I could not purchase it. So, unless they ave changed their policy since 2002, then I would venture to say that malted beverages would not be sold to anyone under 18. :)

I believe it depends on where you are cruising. When I cruised Europe this past summer you could drink at age 18 with parents permission. Beer and wine only. In Europe you can also bring liquor onto the cruise ships and they will not take it from you. So you can freely drink your own liquor. However, when I cruised Hawaii, my sister was 20 and some people on the ship gave her a hard time about drinking underage and took away her liquor. However, other bars on the same ship did not care. So I guess it depends on the ship and the location.

Even if someone is over 21, they can AND DO question someone's age. My 22 year old just recently cruised with me. She looks young I guess. She was even questioned for being 18 for one of the raffles. Everytime she would go to a bar and purchase a drink she was questioned including the past-passenger party where they would walk around with trays.

So.. it totally possible they will get questioned. I think the idea of having the Dad purchase the drinks - or at least allow it - is not a bad one and keeps you out of the decision making.

An 18 yr. old young lady who is traveling with us wants to have some "hard lemonade". Does anyone know if they serve this on the ships and if so, is it considered "wine" like wine cooler? Do they serve wine coolers? We will be on the Navigator July 1st.

Thanks.

Sue

Yes RCCI serves Smirnoff Ice and it considered a beer. They can have it.

The only place the vigorously card is the Disco where you cannot get in unless you are at least 21.

I know in SC Smirnoff Ice, Skyy Blue, Mikes, etc. are considered malt beverages and not liquor and are sold in grocery stores. Kahlua mudslides, White Russians and other premixed beverages are considered liquor and sold only in liquor stores.

Archived