Spain Cruise Port Questions

Ok,Ā  after 2 to 3 years of disappointments and cancellations I'm hoping to finally board a cruise ship in a month.Ā  I haven't booked any excursions yet.Ā  The cruise stops in Malaga, Cartagena, Valencia & Palma.Ā  Ā Of these 4 places which ones are easily walked to from the ship to town, and which ones do I need to arrange transport from port to town?Ā  Ā  Thanks.

Cartagena is incredibly easy as ships dock in the town and you only need to cross the street.It is an easy "walkabout" town. Best DIY guide , is I think, tomsportguide for Cartagena.

Ā 

Valencia and Palma you might want to take a public bus into the historic centre. Both cities have very good Tourist Info websites.

Malaga should have port shuttles to take you to the gates and once there you are in the city.

Ā 

There are multiple threads on all of your ports, just use the forum search facility to find them. And you may find your others on tomsportguides too.

Ā 

And have you checked out some of the cruise pax info sites such as cruisemapper, whatsinport, cruise bee and others? They usually have much more info than their name initially suggests.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, cantgetaname said:

I haven't booked any excursions yet.Ā 

Ā 

Just passing along these folks when you want to investigate excursions....we used them for Cadiz & Lisbon last week (on Sky Princess) and two years ago for Malaga and Cadiz. Ā But they seem to have tours for the ports you are going to in Spain.Ā 

Ā 

They are great....better prices, smaller groups and excellent tour guides.

Ā 

https://www.spaindaytours.com/spain-shore-excursions/

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your help & advice.Ā  I"ve enjoyed looking up whatsinport etc.Ā  I could join excursions but I am really looking forward to some diy touring of the ports.Ā  Ā I'm assuming that if I do catch shuttles or a taxi etc from port to town, that it is not difficult to find one to go back to ship with?

Your shuttles for the return will most likely depart from where the shuttle dropped you off, but pay attention to the info you are given on the drive in from the ship as there may be a one way system or some other reason for a change of meeting point for the return.

Ā 

Malaga, Palma and Valencia are all cities and should have plenty of taxis available.

Cartagena you should be around a 20- 30 (max) minute walk from the ship if you stay in town..

Ā 

Public bus stops and routes should be easily enough found online for Valencia, Palma and Malaga.Ā  Malaga, again buses will stop near the port entrance gates, thereafter walk or pay the port shuttle to your ship.

Edited by edinburgher

49 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Your shuttles for the return will most likely depart from where the shuttle dropped you off, but pay attention to the info you are given on the drive in from the ship as there may be a one way system or some other reason for a change of meeting point for the return.

Ā 

Malaga, Palma and Valencia are all cities and should have plenty of taxis available.

Cartagena you should be around a 20- 30 (max) minute walk from the ship if you stay in town..

Ā 

Public bus stops and routes should be easily enough found online for Valencia, Palma and Malaga.Ā  Malaga, again buses will stop near the port entrance gates, thereafter walk or pay the port shuttle to your ship.

Ā In Plama the shuttle busĀ  will dropĀ  you right opposite theĀ  CathedralĀ  you will only have to crossĀ  theĀ  main road to be in the centreĀ