Handles for P&S

emam

Hi, I have been on CC for a while but just found this forum. 

I sometimes take a lot of photos, often quite badly, but can sometimes get an odd one being very good. I have a Canon SX620 and usually just hold it in one hand, take a photo and hope I get at least one decent shot. I suppose not all of my bad photos are down to me, it's usually my target moving (granddaughter) just as I take the shot, or being in a moving bus. 

I'm thinking of getting a handle for the camera, but don't know how they work. Also I have small hands and so would prefer a slim one. Are they worth using or just a gimmick. As it would be something I only used occasionally, I don't want to pay a lot of money.  Are they easy to attach and un-attach, so I can put camera back in my pocket. Can anyone offer any advice. I live in the UK.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:43 AM, emam said:

I sometimes take a lot of photos, often quite badly, but can sometimes get an odd one being very good. I have a Canon SX620 and usually just hold it in one hand, take a photo and hope I get at least one decent shot. I suppose not all of my bad photos are down to me, it's usually my target moving (granddaughter) just as I take the shot, or being in a moving bus. 

I'm thinking of getting a handle for the camera, but don't know how they work. Also I have small hands and so would prefer a slim one. Are they worth using or just a gimmick. As it would be something I only used occasionally, I don't want to pay a lot of money.  Are they easy to attach and un-attach, so I can put camera back in my pocket. Can anyone offer any advice. I live in the UK.

you might be as well off with a small gorilla pod, or a mini manfrotto 

this is the manfrotto device I’m thinking of, but I don’t think it has a quick release plate. It looks like a tripod but you can fold the legs together and it becomes like a handle. 

joby have a massive range of tripods with and without quick release plates.

basically if you want something you can detach quickly it needs a quick release plate which you can leave attached to your camera and then just slide it into the head of the handle/monopod/tripod.

the other thing to consider is possibly a gimbal, it turns your phone or tiny camera into a steady-cam as it stabilises the camera if you want to do video while moving. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

you might be as well off with a small gorilla pod, or a mini manfrotto 

this is the manfrotto device I’m thinking of, but I don’t think it has a quick release plate. It looks like a tripod but you can fold the legs together and it becomes like a handle. 

joby have a massive range of tripods with and without quick release plates.

basically if you want something you can detach quickly it needs a quick release plate which you can leave attached to your camera and then just slide it into the head of the handle/monopod/tripod.

the other thing to consider is possibly a gimbal, it turns your phone or tiny camera into a steady-cam as it stabilises the camera if you want to do video while moving. 

Thank you for reply and the links. I wondered about the gorilla pod but then wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for. I haven't heard of the other two, so I'm going to have a look at them. I like the sound of the quick release plate. Thanks again.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:43 PM, emam said:

You know what? Same! We have soooo many forums and over the years, we've added and removed some. Sometimes hosts hover too often in their designated areas a bit too long before they notice new forums!

Which isn't to CC doesn't keep us in the loop, but we get more frequent updates when there are guests visiting the forums (Cruise industry folks and other experts) than editorial changes. I was thrilled when I found the photography forum though I wish I had more time to post. I'm involved in a photography nonprofit IRL, and so it's awesome to see it prominent here in the boards.

Hopefully we can raise the profile a bit more, it's a great way to connect with the world, on so many levels, from sharing travel memories, preserving nature, learning about new culture/people, or just simple moments and nothing at all. 

So glad you found the board and hope you find the right grip that works for you. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, cdwise said:

While primarily designed for DSLR you might find a hand strap stabilizer more useful

I agree, a hand strap is great for taking photos quickly and securely.  For good or bad, the ones that also encircle your wrist make the camera a part of you and allow for fast and more secure shooting.  But they also effectively make your right hand only effective as a camera holder.

Removing the wrist strap portion lets you quickly shift the rig to your left hand.  My usual setup is a little over 5 pounds and I'm comfortable with just a back-of-hand strap.  I tried a cross-body strap but there was too much swing.  A chest carrier was really secure, but they draw too much attention.

• Thanks 1