A quick review on my first time in the Haven, NCL Joy March 5th 2022

aubreyc1988

10 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

What a shame you encountered such rude and obnoxious boors.  We've been lucky enough to have never personally encountered that level of appalling behavior whether in or outside of the Haven.  And I agree that there are entirely TOO many people out there willing to give relative strangers advice (whether thoughtless or well-intentioned) regarding their choices about having or not having children.  The nerve of some people is pretty incredible.

you are very lucky! Because I have dealt with this so many times, I know most people are just thoughtless and don't even think about how it could make the other person feel PLUS they also are dealing with some personal stuff and just projecting their own insecurities onto me. I'm not saying these people regret having kids but they seem somewhat jealous of me and then proceed to try to make me feel bad about my life choices. It is bizarre, especially when it's a stranger at a bar and not my mother lol. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

We've nearly always had great butlers, but the concierge role has been hit or miss. The one we had on Jewel was exceptional. It was a 14-day, so they have more of a chance to get to know your habits. One day we skipped lunch in Moderno and stayed in the room with the do not disturb on, napping and recovering from too much sun and mojitos. When we finally left the room for dinner, there were notes on the door from both butler and concierge asking if we were OK, and did we need anything. When we next saw them, it was evident that they had genuine concern that everything was OK! 

I know it may seem like I am nitpicking on all the crew, so just want to clarify that everyone on my cruise was so nice and thoughtful! I think NCL does a great job with their staff and your story doesn't surprise me in the least! IMHO, even the worst experience I had with a crew member was a pleasant one and certainly small fries. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I would always pick up all my stuff before room steward and butler came in and shove it in a drawer LOL. 

I was talking more about in the public areas.  Left plates, glasses, trash, etc on tables, chairs, edge of the pool.   

I agree about the room steward and butlers putting everything away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buster#1 said:

I was talking more about in the public areas.  Left plates, glasses, trash, etc on tables, chairs, edge of the pool.   

I agree about the room steward and butlers putting everything away.

Oh I dislike when people do that, I always try to find someone who ids carrying a tray a dirty dishes. 

• Like 2

I am sailing this Saturday 3/19/22 on the Joy-Cabin 14778-First time on Joy and First time experiencing the Haven- I started by following/reading  all of Sthrngary's posts about the Haven Experience and it resulted in my obsession to want to  try  the Haven. I was really looking forward to this cruise.  What sealed the deal for booking the Haven was due to current and  extremely attractive low price currently available for booking the Haven on the Joy. After reading all of these responses, I hope that I will not be as disappointed!  I was sooo loooking forward to an incredible time experiencing the Haven bar  and the creative mixologists -to the point of upgrading to the PP+ beverage package. Unfortunately, the Upgrade to PP+ has now been nixed after reading about some shortages of the  higher end liquors and lackluster Haven bartenders. It is funny that what I have done for many NCL cruises is now  being called "Haven Lite".  I would always book a balcony cabin, upgrade to  7 nights of Specialty dining,  and secure Vibe Passes. Just never upgraded to PP+ beverage pkg. For the investment,  I could go on  @  least 2-3 cruises vs the price of the Haven and feel Iike I and my DW had a somewhat, if not equal, experience for alot less $$$.   We did Haven Lite in a Club Balcony w/7 nights of specialty dining, Spa Passes, and Vibe passes on December 5, 2021 on the Encore and had one of the BEST cruises ever-No crowds and incredible service every where on the Ship.  This cruise is a replacement for the January 2022 cruise cancelled by NCL due to  COVID. We will still cruise well  and enjoy the Haven Experience regardless of any short comings-HEY it still will be a reduced capacity cruise with  awesome crew, other attractions,  and  bars to frequent outside the Haven. 

24 minutes ago, Acruzaholic said:

I am sailing this Saturday 3/19/22 on the Joy-Cabin 14778-First time on Joy and First time experiencing the Haven- I started by following/reading  all of Sthrngary's posts about the Haven Experience and it resulted in my obsession to want to  try  the Haven. I was really looking forward to this cruise.  What sealed the deal for booking the Haven was due to current and  extremely attractive low price currently available for booking the Haven on the Joy. After reading all of these responses, I hope that I will not be as disappointed!  I was sooo loooking forward to an incredible time experiencing the Haven bar  and the creative mixologists -to the point of upgrading to the PP+ beverage package. Unfortunately, the Upgrade to PP+ has now been nixed after reading about some shortages of the  higher end liquors and lackluster Haven bartenders. It is funny that what I have done for many NCL cruises is now  being called "Haven Lite".  I would always book a balcony cabin, upgrade to  7 nights of Specialty dining,  and secure Vibe Passes. Just never upgraded to PP+ beverage pkg. For the investment,  I could go on  @  least 2-3 cruises vs the price of the Haven and feel Iike I and my DW had a somewhat, if not equal, experience for alot less $$$.   We did Haven Lite in a Club Balcony w/7 nights of specialty dining, Spa Passes, and Vibe passes on December 5, 2021 on the Encore and had one of the BEST cruises ever-No crowds and incredible service every where on the Ship.  This cruise is a replacement for the January 2022 cruise cancelled by NCL due to  COVID. We will still cruise well  and enjoy the Haven Experience regardless of any short comings-HEY it still will be a reduced capacity cruise with  awesome crew, other attractions,  and  bars to frequent outside the Haven. 

I will be on this cruise with you.  I assure you, we will have a GREAT time.  Anything I can do or provide to you folks, let me know.  

Cruise well.

9 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I will be on this cruise with you.  I assure you, we will have a GREAT time.  Anything I can do or provide to you folks, let me know.  

Cruise well.

Hopefully they will have 1942 tequila back on board. Would love to have one with you-You have my room cabin #-call me-I am also a Gary.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Acruzaholic said:

Hopefully they will have 1942 tequila back on board. Would love to have one with you-You have my room cabin #-call me-I am also a Gary.

My first quest is to find 1942; second to call you. Deal?

2 hours ago, Acruzaholic said:

You are going to have a great time! Please take everything I say as my personal experience and that I am being so critical because it IS really expensive in the Haven and some of us work really hard to be able to afford a luxury trip.

I had a great time in the Haven with a few hiccups, and maybe once I pay off my house and have extra money laying around, I'll do the Haven more often, even with the things I see as shortcomings for the Haven.

Remember, it's just money, you can't take it with you! Do whatever makes you happy! 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

basically when she introduced herself it was a "Sorry I missed you on the first day, I was really busy, this is my card, call me if you guys need anything" and I replied "Awesome, I was wondering if we could have extra coffee pods and some corn nuts in the room" and she was like "Yes of course".  Took her a few days to realize I was not joking about the coffee pods haha. 

But yeah, I think if you didn't follow this thread, you wouldn't know about everything the butler can/cannot do. 

And therein lies the rub ... as noted on NCL's website ... 

• 24-hour trained and certified suite butler. From unpacking your suitcase to pouring your champagne our butlers are at your service

The availability of a butler is suppose to enhance your cruising experience above and beyond what your stateroom attendant already provides. So it appears that there needs to be some fine tuning in that department on the Joy.

Nonetheless, a butler never really factored into our decision to put a deposit down on the Haven Penthouse on the Bliss (if that ends up being our final choice) but overall what the Haven offers. Reading about your experience and others helps towards that decision. Thanks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Once while talking to some people at the bar, they asked me if I had kids. I said "no, just my two dogs" and then they were like "Oh well are you gonna have kids" and I replied "probably not" and then they went into this huge spiel about why I needed to have kids and how much I was missing out and blah blah blah.

As the saying goes, "Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts." 'Nuff said. 🐾💕

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

omg I forgot about the weird shower doors. Best way I can explain them is that there were two small sliding doors in the shower. So strange! 

Lol i thought those doors were cool.  🙂 kind of like suicide doors on the old cars. 

Hard to innovate & still have something functional. 

Getting out reminded me of going scuba diving.  Almost going out backwards. 

1. Make sure bath mat on floor. 

2. Hold onto "oh #@&$" handle 

3. Left foot out contact bath mat. 

4. Then sometimes grab on to sink counter. 

It was a process 🙂

But yeah who designed that? Lol! 

Just got off a 4 day carnival ecstacy out of mobile Alabama.  Had fun.  But 5 hrs late departure & couldn't park until current cruisers left in their cars.  Interior room on 5th floor where i had to row :) .  Sewage backups.  Cozumel only port had 2 pm to 5:30.   Cut way short & was hoping for a massage.  Got quick snorkel in tho.  

I want the haven back! & either some self control or smaller portions.  Thinking about delmonico yum! 

So why aren't you having kids.  Lol jk.  How old were the other cruisers asking about kids? 

Lots of kids on this carnival cruise.  More of a backyard bbq feeling. 

We only had one bathrobe to start.  Then our room attendant got another.  I never wore one.  & i took both pairs of slippers.  But no one's size so when you see homeless people wearing them! 🙂 slippers free robes there is a charge. 

Screenshot_20220316_004759.jpg

Screenshot_20220316_004645.jpg

Screenshot_20220316_004508.jpg

Screenshot_20220316_004454.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Acruzaholic said:

I'm sure that you will have a fabulous time!  We loved the cabin, and our Steward was awesome!  As soon as we left in the morning and the evening he would service our cabin.  There was one time that I was lounging on the balcony that I had to go inside so that he could wash it, but it was a minor inconvenience, and certainly not his fault.

You will probably get the same Butler, Lanie, and she was very sweet.  If there is something specific that you want she will happily bring it to you at any time.  I'm more of a "if it's there I'll eat it" type of person, so I would have preferred to give a yes/no list of things that we liked, but I got the impression that there was a standard list of afternoon snacks that were typically delivered.  We took to making our own snack plates from the Horizon Lounge (those sable cookies and the mini donuts are amazing), and leaving the delivered snacks for the most part.  On Day 2 when I was unable to leave the cabin due to too much cheap wine the night before, she came by to introduce herself, and upon request she brought a PB&J for me, and a pizza for my husband.  As far as I'm concerned, she earned her keep that day alone!  I'm weird about asking to be served, so in my particular case I prefer someone who is proactive, but that is no reflection on her.   I'm sure that you will love her!

My issue with the bar was more of a logistical thing.  It was often too crowded, and required squishing in between 2 patrons to order a drink.  I also would have preferred a better Bloody Mary, LOL!  They did have Fever Tree tonic and the like, which is certainly an improvement from the standard bars, but I think that there should have been more hand crafted cocktails.  I did find the staff to be personable, just generally too busy for a lengthy interaction.  

I never really used the concierge staff, but they were always smiling and quick to acknowledge our presence when we entered.  We also didn't leave the ship this trip, so I don't have any direct experience with priority debarkation.  Again, that's not a reflection on the concierge staff.  No doubt, had I required their services, they would have been very helpful.

I WAS disappointed in the dining.  The service was impeccable, but the preparation was not.  I had a few outstanding meals, but for the most part, the restaurant didn't live up to the hype for me.  Having said that, the offerings in the Haven are certainly better than what's offered in the MDR.  If you're a lobster lover, being able to have it every night is a huge bonus.  The Delmonico is most definitely better than anything that you will find in the included restaurants. I found the breakfasts and the lunches to be delicious.

We have done the Vibe in the past, on the Epic, if I recall.  That experience was definitely a step above the Haven sundeck.  The Haven area was quiet and comfortable,  but there isn't a bar.  I seem to remember a small pool in the Vibe, but I may be wrong.  There is a hot tub in the Haven sun deck.

I do agree that the Horizon Lounge is a totally wasted opportunity.  If I was running the world, as I often wish that I were, there would be a bar in that area.  They would also have the donuts in the morning, instead of in the afternoon, LOL! 

As I've said previously, I would NEVER pay full fare for the Haven.  This cruise was only the second time that we paid anything at all to upgrade, and the first time that we were ever in a standard penthouse suite.  In the past, our upgrades were to the 2BR, which is an entirely different cabin experience.  Cabin 14778 is definitely a step above a balcony, but I would probably not bother to upgrade to this category again.  All in, our cruise was about $3,500.  To me it was a good value.  Had it been more than that, probably not for us.

I'll be interested to see what your take is.  At any rate, have a great time!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Saddens me to hear this! I too am easy to please, but I was sort of expecting a much upgraded experience as I had paid a much higher price than someone in a balcony. I *almost* asked for some M&Ms and some gummies, thought better of it when I didn't get any corn nuts after day 2. And in the Horizon Lounge, those snacks were taken at 5pm sharp, like if you don't get me munchies in my room and then you can't even keep them in the Horizon Lounge after 5?  Sort of crazy if you ask me. There were people folding towels late into the nigh that could have kept that snack bar open 24/7.

Also disappointed that you had a similar experience with passengers. I was hoping it was just my cruise. Once while talking to some people at the bar, they asked me if I had kids. I said "no, just my two dogs" and then they were like "Oh well are you gonna have kids" and I replied "probably not" and then they went into this huge spiel about why I needed to have kids and how much I was missing out and blah blah blah. I was like "Well I enjoy a fair amount of freedom and it just isn't for me" and they were like "Well you will change your mind." Doubtful HAHA! I just couldn't believe the audacity, although I do experience this TOO MUCH. They also asked if I was "Only going to sail in the Haven from now on" and I was like "No, I'd have to get a second job haha" and then went on and on about "how poor people and how that if people just set their mind to it, they too could afford to go in the Haven every single time" And after that I didn't attempt any more cordial conversations in the Haven. I am sure there was some nice people but was pretty soured by that. I am sure the bartenders had a laugh in the back. 

Side Note: Snack buffet in the Garden Cafe was AMAZING, huge selection for  snacks after 9pm.  I'm not expecting to have the same selection in Horizon Lounge but there should be SOMETHING, do they think we do not stay up late and drink LOL. Also i felt like the bar closed really early. And I know, the crew needs to sleep too but cmon, we need late night munchies. 

So sorry to hear this! I am on the Joy in a Haven cabin in July with my 2 BFFs and we would have loved to hang with you. If I meet folks like that my eyes will be rolling and hopefully I will be polite but who knows. Glad you had a nice trip.

• Like 1

The Haven is just not for everyone.  We like it mainly because we can avoid crowds and have quiet spaces although right now the Haven is booked full for the most part due to all the fcc out there and upgrades so the rest of the ship can actually be less crowded.  We just never had any problems with bar or sundeck service, room staff or dining experiences on our recent b2b cruises despite the crowded Haven spaces on the Joy but we are low maintenance travelers and are not drink/wine/food connoisseurs so we have fairly low expectations and can be easily satisfied.  You do have to remember the individual staff are only human and can vary so some people may not have received the same superb service we received.  We were very fortunate in that regard.  In addition, we learned after a past less than satisfactory NCL experience on the Spirit where we were put into a lower classification cabin than we booked due to a ship overhaul getting delayed, we just are not going to get upset over a lot of things, let it ruin our vacay but try to just let it go and look at it as an adventure.

And lest we all forget - you can meet boorish, low class people giving you unwarranted advice in all walks of life not just in the Haven.  Best to just ignore them and walk away but thinking you won’t find them in the Haven is just not realistic.

Edited by mertziek
  • Thanks 1

@aubreyc1988 Thanks for the thoughtful and well put together review.  I'm disappointed to hear that the bar experience was sub-par, especially the cognac experience.  I know when my wife and I last sailed in the Haven in 2017, the bar staff on the Escape were amazing and true mixologists, who would see what you were ordering the first night or two and then swap out something different but along the same lines.  It was an amazing experience to watch them work and some of the drinks were outstanding (Smoking Al Capone was my favorite as a bourbon guy).  I had to cancel my April cruise due to vacation time constraints and settle for 5 days at Disney instead, but looking forward to my August Encore cruise in the Haven with my entire family.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

In my opinion, everyone pays more to be in the Haven from other cabins . . . NCL needs to make sure the Haven gets amazing service, esp since the Haven is usually 3-4x more than a balcony. 

To underscore aubreyc's point, I'm going to tell a story I've told twice before on these boards, the last time, not too long ago.  If you've already read it, you can skip the next few paragraphs.

The Good Mrs. Benson and I have taken only one cruise so far.  In 2018, we sailed to Alaska in a Neptune suite on the Holland America ship Nieuw Amsterdam.  By the middle of the first full day underway, we had gotten used to, no matter where we went on the ship, being greeted by the crew members by name.  "Good morning. Mr. and Mrs. Benson!"

At no time on the ship or in any correspondence had I made mention of my military title.

The evening of that first day underway, we dined in the ship's signature specialty restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill.  For that, I wore my service dress uniform.  I wore it for just a few hours, from the suite to the restaurant and back.  The only especial notice of my uniform that I observed was from the Pinnacle Grill manager, who stopped by our table briefly.  He told us that he had once been a Supply Corps officer in the Navy.

Beginning the next morning, I was startled, then impressed, that every crew member we encountered addressed me as "Commander Benson" for the rest of the cruise.

Something like that really makes you feel special.  That kind of extreme attention to detail was remarkable from a ship's crew and surprising.

But it's just the sort of thing I expect from the staff of the Haven.

That's what NCL is selling us with the idea of "a resort within a resort"; that a Haven guest will receive such elevated service and attention to detail that he will feel like royalty.  Most of the perks that come with Haven residency can be purchased individually and less expensively.  Mr. Tilkin discusses this as "Haven-Lite" on his sailing-solo thread.  But NCL's pitch is that, because of its exclusivity and attention to its guests' desires, the Haven will pamper you, make you feel special.

Most of us who sign up for the Haven aren't to the Manor born, accustomed to that kind of indulgence.  No, folks like aubreyc and me only have so much disposable income to sink into a vacation.  And when we spend it on the Haven, it's with the intention to enjoy just a week or two of being pampered.  That's what we factor into our "bang for the buck" calculations before we lay out that precious disposable income.

Here's the thing:  meeting that expectation lies more in attitude than in expectation.  Addressing you by name, knowing what the uniform you wore means, remembering your favourite bar drink, leaving your preferred snacks in your suite are all products of the staff's effort to make Haven guests feel indulged.  And while certainly results are important, it's the Haven staffers' attitude toward their guests that goes a longer way in making those guests feel special.

The concierge who remembers your e-mail and reports on each of your requests when you first come up to his desk.  The Haven bartender who asks you what your favourite potent potables are and makes suggestions on what to order.  Things like the high tempo of embarkation day shouldn't affect that.  Say it's late afternoon after you've come aboard and your butler knocks on the door of your suite.  He introduces himself and explains, "There's so much to do on embarkation day that I just can't get to everyone I want to.  I apologise for not being able to spend more time with you right now, but please let me know what time you'd like me to come by to-morrow morning and I guarantee you my full attention.  In the meantime, do you have any immediate needs that I can have handled for you?"

That would take, what, two minutes tops.  No butler on embarkation day is too busy to do that.  And he's conveyed that his service to us is important to him.  He's made us feel special just by the effort.

Mr. Tilkin has provided his recommendations on how to improve the responsiveness of the Haven butler and concierge. I think it's sound advice.  But, it works only if the Haven staffers already possess the desire to deliver that elevated service.

The accounts of aubreyc and vacruizer and others hint of apathy among the Haven personnel they encountered.  Concierges who respond with form-letter e-mails.  Bartenders who are annoyed when they're asked to prepare something beyond mixing one of the six or seven drink recipes they've memorised.  A butler who tells you, albeit nicely, to get your own damn M&M's.

In these cases, if the Haven guest pushes it, the staffer will deliver on what the guest wants.  But most of us, if we're the guest, won't feel very special at that point.  We wouldn't feel like we were being pampered.

From the descriptions of aubreyc and the others who found their personalised service wanting, those Haven staffers seemed interested in doing only so much as they had to do.  No wonder the posters found themselves left feeling, "Why did I spend all this extra money to stay in the Haven, then?"  I have to admit, I'm afraid of getting the same feeling at the end of our Haven cruise in September.

I'd like to think that someone from NCL tracks these threads and notes the comments and passes them up the chain.  If I were running NCL, I'd have someone doing that.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

@aubreyc1988 Thanks for the thoughtful and well put together review.  I'm disappointed to hear that the bar experience was sub-par, especially the cognac experience.  I know when my wife and I last sailed in the Haven in 2017, the bar staff on the Escape were amazing and true mixologists, who would see what you were ordering the first night or two and then swap out something different but along the same lines.  It was an amazing experience to watch them work and some of the drinks were outstanding (Smoking Al Capone was my favorite as a bourbon guy).  I had to cancel my April cruise due to vacation time constraints and settle for 5 days at Disney instead, but looking forward to my August Encore cruise in the Haven with my entire family.

You are going to have an amazing time! I had an amazing time, I'm just being critical and like I said before, if the price is right, I'd sail in the Haven again for sure!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mertziek said:

The Haven is just not for everyone.  We like it mainly because we can avoid crowds and have quiet spaces although right now the Haven is booked full for the most part due to all the fcc out there and upgrades so the rest of the ship can actually be less crowded.  We just never had any problems with bar or sundeck service, room staff or dining experiences on our recent b2b cruises despite the crowded Haven spaces on the Joy but we are low maintenance travelers and are not drink/wine/food connoisseurs so we have fairly low expectations and can be easily satisfied.  You do have to remember the individual staff are only human and can vary so some people may not have received the same superb service we received.  We were very fortunate in that regard.  In addition, we learned after a past less than satisfactory NCL experience on the Spirit where we were put into a lower classification cabin than we booked due to a ship overhaul getting delayed, we just are not going to get upset over a lot of things, let it ruin our vacay but try to just let it go and look at it as an adventure.

And lest we all forget - you can meet boorish, low class people giving you unwarranted advice in all walks of life not just in the Haven.  Best to just ignore them and walk away but thinking you won’t find them in the Haven is just not realistic.

Oh I know that I can meet rude people  everywhere, I hope my review didn't reflect that it was a huge factor for me, just something I noticed a lot while in the Haven. 

• Like 2

Just now, mafig said:

Ryanpatricksmom mentioned that the bar was often crowded and you had to squeeze between others to order a drink.  Don''t they have roving bartenders?

Yes, often the bar was full. They did have a few roving bartenders during the day time, one that I sometimes saw in the lounge area outside the bar and that bartender would take care of the courtyard too. I saw a bartender like once in an hour on the sundeck.

It’s a good perspective from someone who doesn’t fork over $3500+ per person for a week vacation in the Haven regularly so I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. It was the same when we booked a Sandals vacation and we were all hyped up that this better be the best resort for the money they want, it was good but I wouldn’t say it blew us away.

If you are used to dropping the cash on Haven and not worrying then I can see why “we are easy to please” Haven is great crowd. If you spent $3500 a person for mediocre service and same bar service as someone who booked an inside cabin then yeah it’s a crappy experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Yes, often the bar was full. They did have a few roving bartenders during the day time, one that I sometimes saw in the lounge area outside the bar and that bartender would take care of the courtyard too. I saw a bartender like once in an hour on the sundeck.

Guess we'll be squeezing in then.😒

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustAPilot said:

It’s a good perspective from someone who doesn’t fork over $3500+ per person for a week vacation in the Haven regularly so I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. It was the same when we booked a Sandals vacation and we were all hyped up that this better be the best resort for the money they want, it was good but I wouldn’t say it blew us away.

If you are used to dropping the cash on Haven and not worrying then I can see why “we are easy to please” Haven is great crowd. If you spent $3500 a person for mediocre service and same bar service as someone who booked an inside cabin then yeah it’s a crappy experience.

Typically, I have an all in budget of 3k total for 2 people when cruising. I do try to cruise 2x a year, and ALL of my family and my husband's family all live in different states so I am traveling/spending quite a bit to visit them throughout the year. When I saw this Haven pricing at just a little over my 3k total budget, I took advantage of it, a special splurge for us.

And wow, I've always wanted to go to Sandals as well, but alas when I visit some family in Nassau in July this year, they are insisting on Baha Mar...

• Like 1