Trio dining package versus Three Specialty Dining Experiences

Stockjock

At the time of booking, I was offered Trio at a supposedly discounted price for Trio of $99 USD per person, which I accepted.  I believe this was said to be a 10% discount and offered me 3 specialty restaurants with only 1 of the 3 visits possible at the steak house.

Later, I clicked on "plan my cruise" and "specialty dining" to see that I was offered the Three Specialty Dining Experiences, also at 10% off, but $71 USD rather than $99 USD.  If they are the same, obviously $71 is cheaper than $99.  But I'm wondering if there are differences that I'm not aware of.

Anyone know?  Here are the descriptions.

Three Specialty Dining Experiences

Book now three exclusive distinct exclusive meals at the delightful Speciality Restaurants of your choice and save up to 10% vs onboard price! 

Three deliciously different flavour profiles at a Speciality Restaurants of your choice

Valid in all Speciality Restaurants at lunch and/or dinner

Carousel Productions at Sea show and cocktail for only 5 Euro once on board

A 50% discount is applied to packages for children up to 12 years old

No payment for kids under 6 years

Gratuity and speciality service charge is already included in the pre-sale price.

Trio - Three Distinct Experiences

Reserve at a very special price three dining experiences in three Thematic Restaurants on board and savor a memorable gastronomic experience while you cruise. A dining experience (lunch or dinner) menu will be offered to guests who purchase the package. The menu delivers the concepts experience. The packages includes food only. Day of booking to be confirmed on board. Specialty restaurants vary by ship and must be part of each ship's Trilogy Package selection.

12 hours ago, Stockjock said:

At the time of booking, I was offered Trio at a supposedly discounted price for Trio of $99 USD per person, which I accepted.  I believe this was said to be a 10% discount and offered me 3 specialty restaurants with only 1 of the 3 visits possible at the steak house.

Later, I clicked on "plan my cruise" and "specialty dining" to see that I was offered the Three Specialty Dining Experiences, also at 10% off, but $71 USD rather than $99 USD.  If they are the same, obviously $71 is cheaper than $99.  But I'm wondering if there are differences that I'm not aware of.

Anyone know?  Here are the descriptions.

Three Specialty Dining Experiences

Book now three exclusive distinct exclusive meals at the delightful Speciality Restaurants of your choice and save up to 10% vs onboard price! 

Three deliciously different flavour profiles at a Speciality Restaurants of your choice

Carousel Productions at Sea show and cocktail for only 5 Euro once on board

A 50% discount is applied to packages for children up to 12 years old

No payment for kids under 6 years

Gratuity and speciality service charge is already included in the pre-sale price.

Trio - Three Distinct Experiences

Reserve at a very special price three dining experiences in three Thematic Restaurants on board and savor a memorable gastronomic experience while you cruise. A dining experience (lunch or dinner) menu will be offered to guests who purchase the package. The menu delivers the concepts experience. The packages includes food only. Day of booking to be confirmed on board. Specialty restaurants vary by ship and must be part of each ship's Trilogy Package selection.

I just did a Google search for Seashore Specialty Restaurant menus to see what you may order when you buy the Trio pkg. On our Jul 2022 cruise the price is $110. You have Butcher Cut, Ocean Shore & Mexican.

Anyone have a link to the menus? If I find it I will post it here. 

TIA

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Lauren10 said:

Any update to this post? MSC for my Meraviglia cruise in February 2023 is selling the "Three Specialty Dining Experiences" for $71.

Where did you find a price on 3 SDE for $71? I tried the MSC web site and My MSC app.

TIA

On 1/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

56 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Where did you find a price on 3 SDE for $71? I tried the MSC web site and My MSC app.

TIA

The specialty dining experiences/Duo/Trilogy etc really varies a lot.

On my Sept. Grandiosa sailing it was offered for $71 per person for Trilogy and I took that (Butcher's Cut, Hola Tapas, Atelier Bistrot.

On my Dec. Virtuosa cruise, it wasn't offered at all, either during the booking process, or after.  Nothing on the website either.  Customer service was able to offer it for $250 per couple ($125 per person), which I think is the non-discounted rate.  I declined.  But I did do the free Diamond dinner at Indochine, which we liked a lot.

On a sailing later this year on World Europa, Trilogy/3 Dining Experiences (I think they're the same) was offered during booking only for $200 per couple, and even though it was more than on my Grandiosa sailing, I accepted that, particularly since they have some new restaurant concepts that I hope to try out.  It was not offered on the website after the booking.

So it really seems to vary depending on the ship and when you are sailing.  Under your MSC cruise planner, sometimes there is a specialty restaurants tab, while other times there is not.

Edited by Stockjock

My cruise isn't until Oct 28. No dining specialties show, yet. (Maybe when I pay??) I noticed some packages that require dining in 2, 3, or 4, or more, perhaps specified venues. It seems that the Trio would be 3 specified venues. I hope that the 3 Specialty Dining experience

On 3/14/2022 at 9:57 PM, Stockjock said:

is the one where we are not locked into 3 different restaurants. We really enjoy Butchers Cut, but even the Dining Experience meal (Diamond freebie) was way too much food for us. We prefer a la carte and sharing sometimes. I just figured it was one more thing with MSC that is confusing. Yet, when we saw the Seashore repo from Genoa to Port Canaveral for under $500, I couldn't help myself!!!! For us, it's about the sea journey. We don't care too much about the food/entertainment. etc. Transatlantics are our preferred itineraries.